Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:23 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Yesterday was Sept 30. I believe if you had done it before the first on Sept you would have paid the old rate. I did the same thing. My registration came due in Sept and I didn't bother reading the little insert that would have saved me a few bucks. In fact I didn't even open the envelope because I knew what it was till I paid.
You know, I read about that in the newspaper but thought I should get ALL i could out of my current license plate expiration ... which was the end of Sept. since i had already paid for it back in Illinois. I dont think i would have saved a tremendous amount of money had i acted before Sept. 1 st ---- its still a real gouge if you ask me. Fortunately, I can afford it, but what about so many people who move to Florida that really cant ? $412 for some, is at least a weeks work in wages of which has to go toward basic needs like food and gasoline to get to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:14 AM

36 posts, read 171,616 times
Keep in mind, there is no personal property tax on vehicles in Florida. I just moved here from Missouri a week ago. I registered 2 cars and a camper and did 2 drivers licenses. The bill was $1200. But, I paid more than $600 a year in personal property tax for those vehicles in Missouri. The plates can also be transferred for a very small fee when you get a new vehicle. In the end, I will be way ahead.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:35 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
A mobile home built after 2000 to wind zone III standards and properly tied down actually holds up fairly well in a non-major hurricane. Unfortunately, there is a lot of up to 50 year old mobile home stock in Florida that was pre-Andrew and consequently doesn't come close to meeting the much tougher codes in place now.
That being said, the term "minimum standard" I am sure applies. The tour I was talking about was after Wilma and I am sure in the luxury parks I was in quite a few of the trailers were fairly new. Lets fase it, unless they have a wielded steel cage framework and everything bolted together they are subject to coming apart once the basic structure is compromised. This could be little more the a window or door blowing in. I promise you, I could build my own structure that would stand up but I would not trust some factory built tin box with the life of my family. So many mistakes are made it is a joke. I remember seeing one where a car port had been attached. It was not free standing and they attached it to a section of the roof. When it went it took a piece of the roof with it. At that point the rest of the roof peeled back like a sardine can then the walls just folded. The reason I know exactly what happened is because the owners told me they watched the trailer come apart for the concrete club house in the park where they went for safety. You have to be realistic, these are built by profit making companies that will cut corners where every they can. I am sorry I am so syndical but that is just the way it is.

Here is an idea what is inside the walls of a trailer between you and mother nature.

http://www.geocities.com/lecturestog...ilerDelray.jpg

Old 10-02-2009, 05:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Now that you have paid your state fees for the privilege of titling your car in Florida, brace yourself for your auto insurance premium. My best friend just moved from PA this spring, and his auto insurance rates nearly doubled from what he paid in PA. The rationale was that there are significantly more uninsured drivers on the Florida highways.

There are. FL allows uninsured drivers to keep driving. Most states impound cars on the spot when they have no insurance.

Not FL. There is no motivation to have car insurance in FL. They get a "citation" and keep driving without it.

FL leads the nation in uninsured drivers.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:23 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
There are. FL allows uninsured drivers to keep driving. Most states impound cars on the spot when they have no insurance.

Not FL. There is no motivation to have car insurance in FL. They get a "citation" and keep driving without it.

How come when i went to get my new Florida plates and transfer my Car Title from Illinois to Florida, that she asked me for my insurance card ?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
How come when i went to get my new Florida plates and transfer my Car Title from Illinois to Florida, that she asked me for my insurance card ?
You are required to show proof of insurance to transfer your vehicle or renew your license plates. A lot of people get their insurance through small fly by night insurance companies in FL so they can pay for it by the month. When their license plates are due to be renewed they pay for one months insurance and get their plates and let the insurance expire, and they do it all over again the following year. They drive eleven months out of the year with no insurance, when I lived in FL I knew several people that did that.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:49 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
You are required to show proof of insurance to transfer your vehicle or renew your license plates. A lot of people get their insurance through small fly by night insurance companies in FL so they can pay for it by the month. When their license plates are due to be renewed they pay for one months insurance and get their plates and let the insurance expire, and they do it all over again the following year. They drive eleven months out of the year with no insurance, when I lived in FL I knew several people that did that.
If they are driving for eleven months after not paying their insurance premium and having their insurance cancelled, then they are driving unlicensed, too. Insurance companies are required to notify the DMV when policies are cancelled.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:38 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
If they are driving for eleven months after not paying their insurance premium and having their insurance cancelled, then they are driving unlicensed, too. Insurance companies are required to notify the DMV when policies are cancelled.
You are correct, insurance companies are required to notify DMV. I lived in Ft. Myers in 1991-92 and if you cancelled your insurance within 30 days a cop would be at your house to take the plates off your vehicle. I moved to Brevard county in 1993 and lived there until 2006 and knew several people that did the one month deal on the insurance to get their plates renewed. I have no idea how so many people get away with driving without insurance anymore but they do it all the time. Where I live now in TN you are not required to have insurance to transfer your vehicle or renew your plates, but if you get stopped by the cops and don't have insurance you get a nice citation along with your vehicle towed.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
No one is safe from a tornado.
The tornadoes that hit Lake County a couple of years ago killed a lot of people in mobile homes and no one in a block home, even though many block homes were damaged. I'll take my chances in the safe room in my block home over a little piece of aluminum skin wrapped around me.

Statistically it's a LOT safer to be in a block home than a mobiles home when confronting a tornado. Mobile home v. tornado=DEATH

Old 10-03-2009, 06:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

And I've written my congressman about this. If we all did the same they might change the law. They also need to change the laws on 48 hour INS holds and mandate INS to pick up holds in that time. Otherwise we're just sending criminals here illegally back out onto the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida