Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:10 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,038,168 times

Advertisements

Got the shock of my life yesterday. Im in Okaloosa County in the Panhandle and moved here from Illinois recently. Had to get a new Florida Plate and Title Transfer ... cost me $412.00 for everything. I heard that the cost went up, but, that is pretty rediculous (and I have another 3 vehicles !). Unfortunately, it is a Florida state law that you must transfer your Title and get a new Plate within 30 days of moving here...otherwise i would have kept my Illinois Title . Id be curious to know what it is in your Florida County for the same service, so, please post that info.

So, if youre moving to my County in Florida, be prepared .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 10:21 AM

288 posts, read 538,611 times
When there is no state income tax, they get you other ways. For example, in Tenn. there is no state income tax but the sales tax is 9.25%. Ouch!

The republican legislature eliminated the annual intangible tax on stocks and bonds so as usual, the poor and working class have to make up the difference.

I quit owning cars about 10 years ago for reasons like this. I have lived in high rise apts/condos in the center of the city and ride the bus, take a taxi, or rent a car if need be.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy2008 View Post
When there is no state income tax, they get you other ways. For example, in Tenn. there is no state income tax but the sales tax is 9.25%. Ouch!

The republican legislature eliminated the annual intangible tax on stocks and bonds so as usual, the poor and working class have to make up the difference.

I quit owning cars about 10 years ago for reasons like this. I have lived in high rise apts/condos in the center of the city and ride the bus, take a taxi, or rent a car if need be.
Well, good for you. But us Rurual-Its are getting whacked good. Thank goodness my property taxes in florida versus illinois MORE than offset the silly costs associated with Auto Title Transfer and Plate : Illinois was $4200 per year and Florida is $99 per year .... property taxes.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:57 AM

16 posts, read 103,910 times
The vehicle registration fees are pretty much the same state wide if I'm not mistaken. On Sept 1st the state raised a number of fees, some of them pretty significantly.

I can't imagine annual property taxes in FL being only $99/yr., even on a postage stamp sized lot with nothing but weeds on it.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:09 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,020,209 times
Default Prepare for phase 2....

Now that you have paid your state fees for the privilege of titling your car in Florida, brace yourself for your auto insurance premium. My best friend just moved from PA this spring, and his auto insurance rates nearly doubled from what he paid in PA. The rationale was that there are significantly more uninsured drivers on the Florida highways.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasinDownTheRoad View Post
The vehicle registration fees are pretty much the same state wide if I'm not mistaken. On Sept 1st the state raised a number of fees, some of them pretty significantly.

I can't imagine annual property taxes in FL being only $99/yr., even on a postage stamp sized lot with nothing but weeds on it.
I lucked out with mine ; Ive got a decent 1984 3 bedroom Mobile Home on a 1 acre lot way out in the woods, unincorporated, on a very passable one lane sand road . It's not for everyone, but it is exactly what I was looking for --- being away from everyone and only 10 miles to the nearest larger town for shopping. The Mobile Home needed a few minor repairs which cost me about $500 total . I consider myself very fortunate paying a paultry $58,500 for the Home and Land . Its pretty remote , granted, with my nearest neighbor some 600 yards on the other side of the woods ; no junky cars sitting around on blocks or Homes in a sad shape of disrepair either . All in all, im saving a ton of money over northern Illinois from whence i came and am finally getting the peace and quiet I so desperately needed.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Now that you have paid your state fees for the privilege of titling your car in Florida, brace yourself for your auto insurance premium. My best friend just moved from PA this spring, and his auto insurance rates nearly doubled from what he paid in PA. The rationale was that there are significantly more uninsured drivers on the Florida highways.
My auto insurance was also higher when I lived in Orlando Florida.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Got the shock of my life yesterday. Im in Okaloosa County in the Panhandle and moved here from Illinois recently. Had to get a new Florida Plate and Title Transfer ... cost me $412.00 for everything. I heard that the cost went up, but, that is pretty rediculous (and I have another 3 vehicles !). Unfortunately, it is a Florida state law that you must transfer your Title and get a new Plate within 30 days of moving here...otherwise i would have kept my Illinois Title . Id be curious to know what it is in your Florida County for the same service, so, please post that info.

So, if youre moving to my County in Florida, be prepared .
What a rip off.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
I lucked out with mine ; Ive got a decent 1984 3 bedroom Mobile Home on a 1 acre lot way out in the woods, unincorporated, on a very passable one lane sand road . It's not for everyone, but it is exactly what I was looking for --- being away from everyone and only 10 miles to the nearest larger town for shopping. The Mobile Home needed a few minor repairs which cost me about $500 total . I consider myself very fortunate paying a paultry $58,500 for the Home and Land . Its pretty remote , granted, with my nearest neighbor some 600 yards on the other side of the woods ; no junky cars sitting around on blocks or Homes in a sad shape of disrepair either . All in all, im saving a ton of money over northern Illinois from whence i came and am finally getting the peace and quiet I so desperately needed.
Mobile home and Florida in the same sentence is a recipe for disaster. Just be careful with the hurricanes and tornados down there.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 PM

376 posts, read 906,117 times
I like the way you think, RVlover!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida