Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:08 AM

4 posts, read 56,112 times

Advertisements

Please dont think that 100K will cut it, there are familys with two workings parents making over 125K and they struggle in other much cheaper parts in florida, you optimism is great but realism is better, if you want an affordable semi-tourism area, perhaps start with Dunedin or Tarpon Springs or south of clearwater in Reddington shores, Indian rocks beach, or Sand Key on the West Coast.

East Coast I dont know anything about.

acme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 08:25 AM

10 posts, read 59,716 times
I was down in Key west over the weekend. Houses are small for 500k, I MEAN SMALL!! I think Citizens is the only insurance co that is in the keys. I love it and would like to move there eventually. The thing that I have heard from most is you need a great work ethic to make it which I am sure is no problem if you already have a set job. It is very small town and kinda good ole boy if you know what I mean. We are in the construction buisness so it will be a challenge with that to consider. Really beware of realtors. Talk to many. They will tell you one thing and you talk to locals and you get a new story. New town really got hit by Wilma. Old town less affected. Just talk to lots of locals, seek them out. They will give tou good insight.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 AM

45 posts, read 305,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acme1976 View Post
Please dont think that 100K will cut it, there are familys with two workings parents making over 125K and they struggle in other much cheaper parts in florida, you optimism is great but realism is better, if you want an affordable semi-tourism area, perhaps start with Dunedin or Tarpon Springs or south of clearwater in Reddington shores, Indian rocks beach, or Sand Key on the West Coast.

East Coast I dont know anything about.

acme
Obviously you haven't seen the listings lately, prices have been cut in half compared to just last year. If you can't make it on 100k you would problems anywhere you go trying to make it. We make much less than that and work just one job each, its all about working smart, not hard to do. Key West is not for everyone, I always suggest visit first and you'll know within a week if can live here or not. And yes there are cheaper places in Florida but you'll pay in other ways, I tried and moved my ass right back to Key West. Bought a house in Venice cause everybody told me how affordable it was, good luck finding decent work and plan on going to bed at 9pm cause everything shuts down, now I'm stuck with a house that I don't want. If you do check out the Gulf side, be carefull of Red Tide It'll kill ya!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:10 AM

800 posts, read 3,087,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Citizens (last resort state run insurance) was the only one writing new policies in the keys.
That is true. I just had a friend who sold a home down there and that is the only insurance company that would write wind insurance in the Keys. The home was appraises at 1.3 Million and the wind policy was for 1 million dollars and cost over $17,000. Wind insurance in the Keys is not part of the broadform homeowner's policy. You'll also need flood insurance in the Keys.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,030 times
Default some recent real estate listings...

Couple of decent stilt houses in the 350-450K range. Certainly not the size you would get on the mainland...but it is the Keys after all!

Anyone live on Big Pine Key or Sugarloaf?

Thanks redtide for your insight!!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:46 AM

1 posts, read 13,800 times
I have lived here in Key West nearly 7 years, I don't make over 60,000 a year after taxes ever!!!!. I live in a 2 bed 2-1/2 bath home with a pool and yard in Old Town on freaking Duval St. alone. I am able to pay 2500-2600 a month every month no problem, and eat, drink, vacation, and only have one job, ect... I spend a 100 bucks a week on food if that, and about 800 - 1000 a month partying, and I drive a scooter or bike my car is payed off and I move it maybe once a month if that, so little gas. and still save money, when I calculate my income after taxes I come out at 60k to 61k thats 5000 a month. I could save a lot more if I stopped partying, smoking, and lived in the type of space I really need. But..... my point is I have had no problem finding the quality of life I wanted here all you have to do is set a budget and stick with it no matter what and I mean you have to be a budget nazi to do the things I do. So for any retard who can't live off a 100K a year anywhere this damn fool, does it here 40k under a 100k. Learn what your worth and exploit it for what it is; not what you wish it was. I'll be taking a huge salary jump next year; but I don't pretend I have it now. I'm 26 years old though maybe my perceptions are off. I have somehow put away a little over 50k in the bank somehow though in the past years.... think about it a while.

Last edited by cohiba21; 06-18-2007 at 03:02 AM..

Old 06-18-2007, 11:46 AM

11 posts, read 42,099 times
i grew up in key west, moved out when i was 17, glad i didnt have to live there it pretty much broke my parents!

and imo its like a trap for kids (at least the ones i grew up with) most of them are still down there doing odd and ends jobs

Old 10-08-2007, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 13,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohiba21 View Post
I have lived here in Key West nearly 7 years, I don't make over 60,000 a year after taxes ever!!!!. I live in a 2 bed 2-1/2 bath home with a pool and yard in Old Town on freaking Duval St. alone. I am able to pay 2500-2600 a month every month no problem, and eat, drink, vacation, and only have one job, ect... I spend a 100 bucks a week on food if that, and about 800 - 1000 a month partying, and I drive a scooter or bike my car is payed off and I move it maybe once a month if that, so little gas. and still save money, when I calculate my income after taxes I come out at 60k to 61k thats 5000 a month. I could save a lot more if I stopped partying, smoking, and lived in the type of space I really need. But..... my point is I have had no problem finding the quality of life I wanted here all you have to do is set a budget and stick with it no matter what and I mean you have to be a budget nazi to do the things I do. So for any retard who can't live off a 100K a year anywhere this damn fool, does it here 40k under a 100k. Learn what your worth and exploit it for what it is; not what you wish it was. I'll be taking a huge salary jump next year; but I don't pretend I have it now. I'm 26 years old though maybe my perceptions are off. I have somehow put away a little over 50k in the bank somehow though in the past years.... think about it a while.
Hi everyone. I'm Tom. Currently, I live in manhattan. But I want to move to key west. I walk dogs here and love it. But I have been here for 29yrs. I am a beach person. Can anyone give me some advise on where a person would start looking in key west. I could probably afford up to a $1000 a month in the beginning. I would be willing to work a few jobs and figure it out in the beginning. What are my options? Love the beach and TRANQUILITY. Love to work out and spend time by myself. Wouldn't mind access to some nightlife just to feel like i'm in the mix. But primarily would like to spend time by the beach.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:38 AM

326 posts, read 470,386 times
[quote=alexei27;672470]
My salary would be around 100K. Can you live on that??

We would want to buy a small home...it looks like 2-3 bedroom homes are around 500K or more? From what I understand the real estate market is lower then in the past few years due to Wilma.QUOTE]

from what I have seen on realtor.com, if you really would like to move to Key West without being put in the poorhouse, your best bet would be a condominium, as I have seen numerous sub $100,000 condos in Key West. The single family homes, on the other hand, generally start at around $250,000 to $300,000.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:46 AM

38 posts, read 148,940 times
Key West and the lower Keys are a great place to live. Anyone on these boards who say it's not are just jealous.
It will be difficult getting a decent house for $500,000.00. You might want to check out Big Pine first. It's about a 40 min. commute to the airport, but you get more for your money there, ( you'll probably find a small house on the water for 500,000.00).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida