Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:59 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times

Advertisements

Well, I lived in the Keys and the beaches there are not at all nice. They are basically coral with imported sand and the water doesn't go above your knees for like a mile or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Reminded me of a tropical Greenwich Village (grew up there). Although I am not a beach person, Key West's beaches are the most like the Caribbean. I would vote the Caribbean to have the best beaches in the world. I've been to a lot of them (ironic) from the Hamptons to Miami Beach to California to the Italian Riveria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 03:01 PM

I agree, and with all of this said, I have been regreting moving from the Keys since I left. I lived in Marathon as well as Conch Key and worked at Hawks Cay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphindude View Post
Oh, and I've lived here for 14 years now. I don't think anyone else who gave you negative impressions even live here. There is a reason it's expensive to live here. Because it's by far the best place to live in all of Florida.
We never lock our doors, because on Sugarloaf where I live, there is virtually no crime. Virtually no traffic. Quick boat rides to the only coral reef in North America. Good theater, beautiful sunsets and nice people.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:18 PM

I agree with you here. Key Largo is WAY different than any Keys. Infact-IMO I do not consider anything ABOVE Islamorada the keys. It's like day and night-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphindude View Post
Key West and Key Largo are more than 2 hours apart and are like night and day.
And any one who prays for a hurricane is in my opinion lacking brains.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:44 PM

14 posts, read 15,382 times
Default My two cents

Hey Tom
My Dad used to live on the corner of White St. and Duval -- 901 white st. -- this is called "old town," specifically the meadows -- 3-4 minute walk from M and M laundry (best cuban sangwich and coffee around) , fausto's market, as well as White St. Pier (Higg's beach) -- I love this area because it's away from the hustle but close to everything you need. Many people actually rent bedrooms from home owners -- My Dad built an 8 x 12 shack in his back yard, and rented it for $700 per month -- rent SHOULD be doable right now as prices have come down -- I don't know if KW prices have matched Miami or not -- There is a big glut of cheaply made condos going up around Front St. (the board walk area) -- so perhaps this is prime opportunity.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:32 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Hi everyone...

I have the opportunity to move my family to Key West (from Utah...can you say culture shock!!!) Actually we are not happy in Utah and have no reservations leaving.

I would love some advice from those who live year around in the Keys. I have been told that there is a small town feel among the locals...but it is bustling with tourists.

My salary would be around 100K. Can you live on that??

We would want to buy a small home...it looks like 2-3 bedroom homes are around 500K or more? From what I understand the real estate market is lower then in the past few years due to Wilma.

How do other costs (besides housing) compare (utilities, groceries, etc)??

My job would be near the airport in Key West....so we would like to live there if possible...but whats the housing situation like farther up the Keys?

Also....any Navy folks on this forum?? I am a Navy Reserve Officer. Some bases open their govt housing to Federal employees. Does anyone know if this is done at NAS Key West?

Thanks for all the help....ANY information is welcome.
Affordable housing is virtually non-existent in the Keys. There is some multifamily affordable housing (like Roosevelt Gardens in Key West), but when it comes to single-family homes...forget it. Military housing might be your only safe bet.

Start buying lottery tickets!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,267 times
my husband and i visited key west for a week and fell in love. Now were thinking of moving there for a year or so and would be renting during that time where should we start and about how much would the rent be?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 PM

13 posts, read 31,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanantoniotx View Post
my husband and i visited key west for a week and fell in love. Now were thinking of moving there for a year or so and would be renting during that time where should we start and about how much would the rent be?
My husband and I live in a very small 1 bedroom, - it's really more a studio with a sleeping alcove - and we pay $1100.00 a month. Prior to that we lived in so called 'affordable housing" and paid $1200.00 - the rent there has since gone up to $1300.00 or 1400.00. You can't get a decent one bedroom for less than $1200.00 a month, even with the economy in bad shape.

You might want to try athomekeywest.com they have long term rental listings as well as monthly and vacation rentals.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 AM

129 posts, read 428,738 times
I'll be moving to the Keys in January and looking forward to it. Any new information as I see this thread hasn't been used in quiet a few years

Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
As alexei27Hasnt posted on this topic for 3 years it would be nice if he dropped in and told us how it all turned out..

Old 07-29-2010, 12:45 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Think you posted in the wrong topic Xing..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida