Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:55 AM

261 posts, read 704,533 times

Advertisements

Weeeeell...

I guess it would depend on where you go in either of those states. Where in Cali are you considering? San Fran, LA, San Diego, San Jose, Fresno, Sacramento?

I would imagine that since you're here, you're interested in Miami/Ft. Laud. as far as Florida.

As far as schools, Miami-Dade College is considered the best transfer school in the nation. Don't know much about comm. colleges in CA.

Most areas in California probably have a lower crime rate than Miami. In terms of traffic, Miami drivers are nuts, but you're going to get that in almost any big city you go to. Seems like Los Angeles is always on the news for their police chases on the freeway, doesn't it? As far as commute, it's not constant gridlock everywhere you go...the trick will be choosing where you live in relation to work and school. California probably wins for friendliness and public transit as well.

My advice would be to visit both places before you make a decision! Both Cali and Florida are going to be quite a far cry from the Minnesota you're used to :0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 AM

29 posts, read 62,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samby58 View Post
Hi, I'm 18 originally from Minnesota. I'm leaving for college in the spring, and can't decide where to go, California or Florida? I'm going to community college for generals then transfering to a state U. But I'm gonna be living by myself in a rental apartment (not dorms).

I want to know what are the pros/cons of florida vs. cali. I don't party, drink or any of that so the "night life" doesn't matter to me. I'm not preppy at all like the MTV show girls, n to be honest, that shallow lifestyle has nothing to do with me. I just want to go somewhere different on my own for a while and decided on either cali or florida. I've never been to Cali, but have visited florida numerous times and love it there. My biggest problem with Florida though is the traffic. People drive like maniacs!

I would also like to get a job. I'm a quad-lingual (if that's what it's called haha), where would I have a better chance finding a good job?

I would love comparisons in crime, work, education, friendliness, transit time, ect...What are your opinions? Cali or FL???

Thank you so much for any input...
California is much better, more education and much less southerns and eastern europenas gypsy immigrants, but i need to advise to you something to you, dont call California Cali, calfirnians are very educated and do not like abbreviatures its very undereducated to call california cali.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:39 AM

261 posts, read 704,533 times
Gypsy immigrants??? LOL where can I see a few of those?

Old 10-01-2009, 03:12 PM

736 posts, read 2,296,020 times
Hey Samby58: I notice you posted the same question in the Los Angeles forum (where I am from).

I admire your sense of adventure and the desire to try something new. I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice. While I am from Calif. I have spent a fair amount of time in FLA.

Here are a few thoughts or pros and cons for each choice.

So. Calif./Los Angeles:
-Excellent public community college system. I attended myself way back when and eventually got my bachelor's and two grad degrees.

-TRAFFIC is very bad, however, I think you'd find So. Calif. drivers more patient than Miami drivers.

-DIVERSE GEOGRAPY: you will have the Ocean, Mountains, and Desert are within a short drive of you. Incredile hiking trails in mountain canyons within the city limits or very close by, for example.

-Diverse metropolis with every walk of life and lifestyle you can imagine: latino, white, black, asian, persian, armenian, gay, straight, artists, musicians, out of work actors, college students, etc.

-Artistic and cultural opportunities are vast and interesting: Getty Center, Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), and the LA County Museum of Art (LACMA) to name just a few.

Miami/Dade County
-TRAFFIC: is NOT as bad as in Miami, that said, Miami drivers have a rep. for being somewhat impatient. During my visits there I never thought it was that bad...

-CLIMATE: For my tastes, Miami has the BEST winter weather in the continential United States (read: sunny, warm, etc). LA has the BEST summer weather in the United States in my opinion (perhaps only second to San Diego).

-BEACH: If you want to be at the beach all year round, go with Miami b/c the LA's beaches are beautiful but the cold waters from Alsaka keep the Pacific Ocean very cool year round. Unless you want to learn to surf, then pick Los Angeles.....

-CRIME: Crime is higher in Miami. That said, ALL large cities have their risks and BOTH cities have plenty of SAFE areas so don't let this be the deciding factor.

-TROPCIAL FLAVOR: Miami has a sultry, tropical flavor that is very exciting and enticing. By contrast, Los Angeles is more like the Mediterranean with Mountiains juxtaposed against the ocean. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Best of luck to you.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:59 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud cuban View Post
California is much better, more education and much less southerns and eastern europenas gypsy immigrants, but i need to advise to you something to you, dont call California Cali, calfirnians are very educated and do not like abbreviatures its very undereducated to call california cali.
Haha - this advice from someone who can't even spell!! lol!!

Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
I would pick California over Florida. If nothing else, you might be able to get a JOB after college there.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:38 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Neither state's higher ed situation is great right now, but Florida seems to be doing somewhat better at managing the funding cuts that are happening at public colleges essentially all over the place. Florida's unemployment rate is also slightly better than California, and with some poking and prodding, you can usually still find part time service industry jobs to help pay rent and tuition.

In terms of transit time, friendliness, etc. they're hard to compare because you've picked two of the most diverse states in the country, and the answers are going to be different whether you're thinking inland, coastal, rural, urban, suburban, northern, southern ... parts of the state.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:47 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
California easily, if not for mountains, snow, and beaches. If you like flat and humid and feeling like your in a total different country, then Florida.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:54 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Forida has a reputation party schools (sun, beach, bla, bla). I used to work in HR and that was the thought.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:16 PM

13 posts, read 49,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Hey Samby58: I notice you posted the same question in the Los Angeles forum (where I am from).

I admire your sense of adventure and the desire to try something new. I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice. While I am from Calif. I have spent a fair amount of time in FLA.

Here are a few thoughts or pros and cons for each choice.

So. Calif./Los Angeles:
-Excellent public community college system. I attended myself way back when and eventually got my bachelor's and two grad degrees.

-TRAFFIC is very bad, however, I think you'd find So. Calif. drivers more patient than Miami drivers.

-DIVERSE GEOGRAPY: you will have the Ocean, Mountains, and Desert are within a short drive of you. Incredile hiking trails in mountain canyons within the city limits or very close by, for example.

-Diverse metropolis with every walk of life and lifestyle you can imagine: latino, white, black, asian, persian, armenian, gay, straight, artists, musicians, out of work actors, college students, etc.

-Artistic and cultural opportunities are vast and interesting: Getty Center, Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), and the LA County Museum of Art (LACMA) to name just a few.

Miami/Dade County
-TRAFFIC: is NOT as bad as in Miami, that said, Miami drivers have a rep. for being somewhat impatient. During my visits there I never thought it was that bad...

-CLIMATE: For my tastes, Miami has the BEST winter weather in the continential United States (read: sunny, warm, etc). LA has the BEST summer weather in the United States in my opinion (perhaps only second to San Diego).

-BEACH: If you want to be at the beach all year round, go with Miami b/c the LA's beaches are beautiful but the cold waters from Alsaka keep the Pacific Ocean very cool year round. Unless you want to learn to surf, then pick Los Angeles.....

-CRIME: Crime is higher in Miami. That said, ALL large cities have their risks and BOTH cities have plenty of SAFE areas so don't let this be the deciding factor.

-TROPCIAL FLAVOR: Miami has a sultry, tropical flavor that is very exciting and enticing. By contrast, Los Angeles is more like the Mediterranean with Mountiains juxtaposed against the ocean. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you very much for your input! Your post has by far been the most informative one. *reps to you* Based on what you shared with me, I have decided to go to California. It seems like it'd fit with me the most. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: