Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:54 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times

Advertisements

Look man I was in a similar position to you... I grew up in the DC/Metro area and have been working as a software developer since I was 17 (I just turned 22 on Monday)... I was having a really hard time getting by in MD because of the insane cost of living and was looking to get out... I went the safe way, sent out resumes, got a job offer and moved down here only after having a job locked down... I moved here about 6 months ago and it completely changed my life for the better but I can't imagine moving here without a job locked down...

The difference between you and I is that I work in a field that is in demand down here... Like somebody above said you should really be looking into places where your skills are in demand and that definitely isn't here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 12:17 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
ok, now this is where I'm getting a little irritated. How does anybody ever relocate anywhere? I mean I relocated twice in the last two years and now everyone is telling me it can't be done? I'm honestly thinking of going back to school because the only two things that hire are either medical or law enforcement positions or I might even enlist in the military. I don't know why I even bothered getting a teaching degree if there aren't any jobs.
Irritated? People are trying to help you here. Sorry that you don't like what you are hearing...but if you have any sense, you will listen.

Florida has a bad job market right now. Oddly enough, you aren't the only person that wants to live here and competition for jobs in certain areas is fierce.

Teachers are not exactly a scarce resource. No offense, I taught for a living myself for a time, but with your background and skill set you are going to need something extra to beat out the competition.

Going back to school is an option lots of people take these days. I tried it myself and found out quickly (not quickly enough) that I was better off in my former profession than starting a new one.

Teachers are a dime a dozen. Unless you have something special that puts you out in front of the pack, you can expect to compete for limited jobs. Even better, the old carpetbagging retirees that vote in this state don't give a damn about education and funding is hard to come by. Florida is, by far, NOT the best state to try and start a teaching career.

Sure, it can be done. Just don't expect it to be easy or for people here to sugarcoat it for you.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:00 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleWind View Post
Have you considered a DOD teaching jobs? These are teaching jobs either in the US or overseas at a military base. Check it out. You might find you will like it.
They are highly competitive and can be difficult to get in desirable/large areas. There are a lot of military spouses with teaching credentials and they get a big hiring preference for those kinds of jobs.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:01 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Well, we never would have moved here if my husband hadn't gotten a job here. He was out of work for over a year and a half. He posted his resume on Monster and a software firm contacted thim through that. They flew him down for the interview. When they hired him, they gave him relocation expenses. This was 5 years ago.

I did not move until 2 years ago. I submitted resumes to 3 places. Every one contacted me and said to call them when I moved. I gave them a specific date and my husband's address here. When I got here, I called them and they set up interviews. I was accepted at all 3 places and took the one which paid the most.

My daughter, who moved here last November (moved back in March), did the same. She even contacted places that did not list any openings. She was actually hired within one week of moving here from the company that didn't even list any openings. They hired her as a floater going from store to store in Naples to Ft. Myers. I suppose if they really like and want you, they will find a place for you.

I suppose it is a bit ironic in that none of us really wanted to live here, yet had no trouble finding jobs here. My HUSBAND actually was the only one of all 3 of us who COULDN'T get a job up north. My daughter, when she wanted to move back to NY, was hired with just a phone interview while still living in Florida. They never even met her until her first day of work.

I wonder. Is it really the state, or is it the person?

Old 11-05-2009, 03:08 PM

267 posts, read 806,308 times
I'm not sure exactly where you are looking, but let me give you some personal knowledge from SW Florida, specifically Lee county. My dad has been a substitute teacher for 4 years now. He went from having numerous choices every day of the week, to only being offered maybe one job per week this year. The group of subs the schools have to choose from has really increased. All the laid off teachers are now part of the pool.

My family is sitting her waiting for a job opening in the Asheville area. We have enough to move and maybe survive a few months, but I'll be damned if I take that chance. The employment chances are just too slim in most parts of the country, and in Florida specifically.

Take your time. Forget blaming the gov for this recession taking so long. No matter which lying fool is in office, this thing needs one thing to recover...time.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,808 times
It's real shame that teachers have to work at Starbucks now. The country is going to lose a lot of young teachers for good. These teachers could have made a career out of education and will now be lost, after districts paid to recruit and train them. Teachers can't sit around for years waiting for this economy to recover. It seems like state and local government jobs are taking a huge hit now, and will be among the slowest to recover.

My husband and I are both teachers. We used to work in FL and left for GA in 2006 to make more money and for more affordable benefits. The situation for teachers here is terrible as well. Paycuts, layoffs, and unpaid furlough days just to get warmed up. My district just announced this week that they will lay off another 35 high school teachers. (even as enrollment is up) They already cut 100 classroom teachers last year.

The funding pool for teaching jobs has just dried up (state sales taxes and local property taxes) and will not come back for a long time, I'm afraid. The Orlando Sentinel today had an article that says the stimulus money saved 18,000 school jobs in FL. The problem is that this money will run out about 1 year from now! I'm really scared to see what happens then for education and teacher jobs unless we have some miracle growth in the states. I hear that GA will also lag other states in any recovery, so that's bad news as well. I also found that many other states have also laid off teachers: Minnesota, New York, Arizona, etc. (I've been trying to come up with a plan B in case my husband loses his job in the next round of cuts)

Everyone says to move somewhere that they need teachers, but I'm not sure any place needs teachers right now! (teachers might technically be needed, but if there is no money to pay for them, end of story) The fact is elementary teachers are suddenly in great over supply (so much for that teacher shortage!) It might help if you are male elem. teacher. Also, I would look into getting additional areas of certification (science or math if you are in any way talented in those areas) or maybe ESOL. One final note: lots of teachers have been telling me that having a master's degree might be a hinderance now because that makes you more expensive for a district. (ok, so now teaching is the only field where it works against you to try to further your education?)

What is happening to our teachers is a national shame in my opinion. I just hope some of the senior teachers retire soon so there will be room for new blood. (but then layed off teachers will have to compete with new graduates and I fear the new grads will be cheaper, so they will get the jobs, or they will start those of us with experience back at step 1. (heard that is happening now)

We can't all rush out and "retrain" for medical careers or the next thing you know, that field will be overstaturated too. (which I'm sure is going to happen because many layed off folks from all fields are doing just that)

I'm not sure what to tell you, other than make some calls to districts and see what they say. I would also have at least 12 months of cash on hand if you decide to move. My real fear is that we will see more teacher cuts in states like FL, GA, and AZ in the spring. There won't be much, if any, hiring if hundreds are being cut because districts anticipate the stimulus money will run out in December 2010.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:10 PM

It is really rough that such an important field as teaching is in dire straights right now, but such is the state of things... I believe that the problem extends far beyond teaching into other degrees that I like to refer to as "burger flipping" degrees... Teaching has now become one of those...

There is an epidemic problem where colleges (which I think are a scam in the first place, but thats a whole different argument), parents, and high schools advertise all of these useless degrees to kids without telling them the whole story... The college doesn't care what degree you take as long as you give them your money, parents are encouraging kids to do something they will "enjoy", even though there is nothing "enjoyable" about working at Mcdonalds with a bachelors degree and tens of thousands of dollars in debt... High school counselors never explain to future graduates that "hey this degree might sound like fun but you will probably have a hard time finding a job, and if you do, it probably won't pay well..."

Too many kids end up going to school feeling entitled to a job when they graduate... The truth is that you have to be worth something for someone to want to hire you... This can not be expressed to kids in high school enough...

The truth is people might "have" to change fields if they can't get a job in your current field... The only other option is to sit and complain about the career field that YOU chose...

Pick up a couple programming books and teach yourself how to right software, learn how to set up a network at home, learn how to use quickbooks, do anything to make yourself more marketable... Being a software developer was rated as being one of the best jobs by the washington post because you can make the most money with the least education...

Old 11-06-2009, 02:30 PM

18 posts, read 37,928 times
All I can say is where there is a will there is a way if this is what you want to do.

Unless I misread you are by yourself no kids or extra people to worry about right?

If this is the case you can easily find a place to live even if you become a roommate in a 3 br house or apartment. As for a job sure it is hard but you know what at least you have a good skill.

Have you ever thought about placing an ad for low cost tutoring. With all the teachers getting layed off those kids will need all the help they can get.

I have yet to hear any of these other posters give you a good solution to your problems other than it is not a good idea or you won't find a job. As long as you are not picky you will find a job.

A lot of people here are quick to compare you to family, friends or even their situations but the truth is you are not them you are you and only you know what you can endure.

Yes, teachers are getting layed off and most were really not worth their weight in salt believe me if you are a good teacher they will fight to keep you even if they have to cut others pay to do it.

I am a active parent and I attend every PTA and Board meeting. I have done this since I was a child and my parents would attend the meetings. From what I have been told over the years most of these teachers chose to teach because it was close to graduation day and they could not make up their minds as to what to major in. So, mom and dad refused to keep paying for school until they decided on a major. So because they had the required credits they became teachers not because they are passionate about it but because they had no choice.
Now what you should do is see where you as a teacher would be in demand and relocate there do more research than ask these well meaning folks here what you should do.
Use the internet to find good state jobs even if you have to teach in a juvenile or correctional facility helping them get G.E.D's.

Maybe Florida is not the place for you to go maybe you will end up in Texas, California, even in Baltimore they need teachers so bad they are giving bonus so you will buy houses and stay in the city to teach.

So you will be fine just do your homework and have a backup plan in case thing don't work out maybe you can live with family or friends until you can get back on your feet again. best of luck.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:34 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,606 times
Hard to say...
My neice just moved here, and got a job at Peir One after only 2 days, and got another job at Wal-mart the next week
But, as another poster stated...they aren't 'careers'

Old 11-06-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redraven_y2k View Post
I have yet to hear any of these other posters give you a good solution to your problems other than it is not a good idea or you won't find a job. As long as you are not picky you will find a job.
I thought my suggestion was perfectly acceptable... Learn to do something marketable...

People with engineering degrees, computer science degrees, medical degrees or skills in those areas are not having trouble finding jobs in FL... I sent one resume down here and got a reply in a few months...

I got my first programming job at 17 with nothing other than a high school diploma and a few awards/accolades earned in high school because I could put my programming skills on my resume... I spent many hours of my free time with books, learning how to write software...

Being able to do something that not many other people can do = job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida