Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 06:55 PM

27 posts, read 159,157 times

Advertisements

My family and I are seriously looking into moving to Citrus County (which area, we are not sure yet). Does anyone have a personal favorite out of all the Citrus county communities? Also, even though it is a bit of a dumb question, does Citrus county get too much hurricane damage? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 07:03 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,263 times
I've lived in Inverness for 7 years and we've never had any major damage. They usually evacuate everything 1 mile east of Hwy 19 though because it's along the gulf. My boss lives on a canal in Crystal River in all her years living here, had 1 flood in her home. She's been here for 20+ years. There's a few other threads a few pages back all about Citrus County. You might want to check them out. I put in quite a bit of info on those about Inverness.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:29 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,359 times
I am in Dunnellon Florida , which has the distinction of actually encompassing two counties depending on which side of the river you live on. The two counties are Citrus and Marion. We are hoping to move out of state within the next twelve months but if we find that we are doomed to stay in central Florida for the next several years my vote would be to move on over to Citrus county.

Citrus county ( from my perception) is much more family/under age sixty orientated than where I am near Dunnellon, which seems to be more interested in where the next golf course is going to be. It is great here if you love antique shops (we have plenty of those) though. Crystal River has some great thrift shops- my passion ! Three times a week I drive my daughter into Crystal River for all of her therapies and we do enjoy Fort Island Gulf Beach along the Gulf of Mexico. In fact I really prefer Citrus county over Marion.

I would have to say that the towns we go through the most in Citrus are Crystal River, Inverness, Lecanto, Beverly Hills, and Hernando. When I want to take my kids to the movies or what ever we always go to either Crystal River or Inverness. I avoid going into Ocala since I really don't like hat city, bad enough that I have to work there two days a week.

Now if there was just a Barnes and Noble or a Books a Million in Citrus county I would never have to shop in Ocala again!

Old 03-08-2009, 08:32 PM

6 posts, read 41,501 times
Default Citrus County Florida

I know that the original post is pretty old, but like the others, I have to chime in. I live in Inverness, Florida and I am very happy here. We have a decent sized city, with good schools and little crime. There is an abundance of city parks and state/national forests around here and there is ample shopping opportunities. I'm not going to say that Inverness is necessarily the best city of Citrus County, because they are all very nice. If you wish to be by the water, you may be interested in Crystal River, or Homosassa. They have a similar structure with the benefit of the Florida manatee. If you would like to find a nice place, out-of-the way a bit, you may like Chassahowitzka. Then we also have the communities that are either geared more towards retirement, or HOA's, like Sugarmill Woods, Brentwood, Citrus Hills, or Citrus Springs. Lot's of golf, recreation, dining and good people in our little county. You may want to check out Citrus County Information Zone, they have some detailed city info and a community forum. Citrus County is located in between Ocala and Tampa, so if you are looking for a nice place to retire, or raise a family, close to a large city, but one that isn't caught up in the hustle and bustle, then Citrus County is a great place.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:19 AM

4 posts, read 21,305 times
going down in 2011 to look for a home around Inverness area. Got to get out of Atlanta area for sure. Terrible place to work (Atla) even though I live 35 miles away. Hope to find something not in the flood plane with all the lakes around that area .

Old 12-25-2010, 11:12 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron the railroader View Post
going down in 2011 to look for a home around Inverness area. Got to get out of Atlanta area for sure. Terrible place to work (Atla) even though I live 35 miles away. Hope to find something not in the flood plane with all the lakes around that area .
I live within a stones throw of Lake Tsala Apopka on a double lot, in Hernando, about 4 miles north of Inverness. The lot closest to the lake is supposedly a flood zone, but I never experienced anything remotely close to a flood, even when we have torrential downpours.

In fact some of my waterfront neighbors have had to backhoe out some mud and sediment to let water in, otherwise they could walk 50-100 yards out on dry lakebed during the dryspell we had for about 3 years prior to 2010. In the Tsala Apoka chain of lakes there are the Floral City, Inverness and Hernando pools. At times it's difficult to navigate from one pool to another if lake levels are to low........airboats with shallow draft are popular around here.

I was going to provide some links providing more info about the lake chain, but most we're copyrighted, so just google Lake Tsala Apoka and there is a wealth of info about lake managment. I think the closer you get to the Withalachocee River, the more likelyhood for flooding. I'm certainly not worried at all about flooding where I live. Also there are some nice reasonably priced lakefront homes on Parsons Point road now.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 21,305 times
good info to know, thanks for the reply. I will check the link .

Old 07-13-2012, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 19,914 times
Default Best county is citrus county

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarrett0218 View Post
my family and i are seriously looking into moving to citrus county (which area, we are not sure yet). Does anyone have a personal favorite out of all the citrus county communities? Also, even though it is a bit of a dumb question, does citrus county get too much hurricane damage? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
we have lived in citrus county for 12 years; originally from new york. We think citrus county is great; low taxes, great schools, great activities, great weather; not many hurricanes comes this way.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 19,914 times
Default Citrus County is the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumblia View Post
I know that the original post is pretty old, but like the others, I have to chime in. I live in Inverness, Florida and I am very happy here. We have a decent sized city, with good schools and little crime. There is an abundance of city parks and state/national forests around here and there is ample shopping opportunities. I'm not going to say that Inverness is necessarily the best city of Citrus County, because they are all very nice. If you wish to be by the water, you may be interested in Crystal River, or Homosassa. They have a similar structure with the benefit of the Florida manatee. If you would like to find a nice place, out-of-the way a bit, you may like Chassahowitzka. Then we also have the communities that are either geared more towards retirement, or HOA's, like Sugarmill Woods, Brentwood, Citrus Hills, or Citrus Springs. Lot's of golf, recreation, dining and good people in our little county. You may want to check out Citrus County Information Zone, they have some detailed city info and a community forum. Citrus County is located in between Ocala and Tampa, so if you are looking for a nice place to retire, or raise a family, close to a large city, but one that isn't caught up in the hustle and bustle, then Citrus County is a great place.
We have lived in Citrus County for 12 years now and we wouldn't live anywhere else. California, New York, New Jersey (all the Northern states) are ridiculously overtaxed. I know people that are paying $8,000 a year or more. Forget about owning a business up North. The taxes will kill you! Citrus County is the best; we pay 500.00 a year for 5 acres. Great weather; hot in the spring and summer but then it cools down in the fall/winter. Temps go down to 20 degrees on some occasions! We have a fireplace so its nice and cozy. At least it's not hot all year round. So we do get a break from the heat. Also, I was up in TN and the temps were 104 degrees! My daughter is in South CA and she's reporting temps of 105! I have been in FL for 24 years and we have NEVER had temps go up that high! The highest its been here is 91, 92, maybe 93. But never 100 or more! Also, we get the breeze from the Gulf of Mexico; so the moisture content here is good. I would never trade Citrus County for anywhere else. I have been in Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, some parts of Europe, up North and we have the BEST WEATHER, low crime too which is very important. We lived in North Miami Beach, Fl and the crime there is HORRENDOUS. Murders, rapes, breakins, you name it, they have it in Miami, FL. Don't go there. It's the pits. My son was murdered there and they are still looking for the killers. That was 12 years ago; still no justice.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 14,775 times
Citrus County is good for retirees that want the heat of Florida without any good beaches nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida