Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:52 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,923 times

Advertisements

"But in a matter of seconds, Max was gone. Witnesses said the dog was nearly torn in half."

Pit bulls attack and kill small dog in Islamorada (http://www.keysnet.com/212/story/146498.html - broken link)

Why are pitbulls so popular among the irresponsible? Low rent types, inner city types, minorities, criminals, etc.

There is a cultural following behind these dogs (especially in SE Florida) and it is almost 100% negative. I never see a pitbull being walked in a nice neighborhood; it's always in a trailer park or in some inner city slum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 01:54 PM

225 posts, read 643,960 times
A chihuahua in the wrong hands is dangerous.

But I understand what you're getting at.

Unfortunately, for both responsible pit bull owners and the pit bulls themselves, a highly visible segment of our population has decided that owning pit bulls is a display of power. Why not German Shepherds, Dobermans, or other traditional 'guard dogs'? Pure breeds are expensive.....don't look as 'street'......can't put them in dog fights.....any number of reasons.

The cultural following is in Central Florida too, but I do see pit bulls in nice and very nice family neighborhoods.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:09 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
"But in a matter of seconds, Max was gone. Witnesses said the dog was nearly torn in half."

Pit bulls attack and kill small dog in Islamorada (http://www.keysnet.com/212/story/146498.html - broken link)

Why are pitbulls so popular among the irresponsible? Low rent types, inner city types, minorities, criminals, etc.

There is a cultural following behind these dogs (especially in SE Florida) and it is almost 100% negative. I never see a pitbull being walked in a nice neighborhood; it's always in a trailer park or in some inner city slum!
I don't trust pitbulls either. Several years ago, my father was walking my dog when a man with an unleashed pitbull approached. The pitbull almost killed my dog, and the veterinarian said that if it weren't for the thick collar she was wearing, the pitbull would have killed her. The owner of the pitbull literally had to kick the dog in its genitals to get it to stop attacking my dog.

Your commentary about the kind of demographic that usually owns pitbulls is interesting, but given that Plantation Beach is neither low-income, inner-city, or predominantly "(ethnic/racial) minority" - and that the owners of this dog don't have names that indicate that they are "(ethnic/racial) minorities" either - this case doesn't seem to fit the mold.

Pitbulls aren't necessarily bad dogs, but they really need to be kept on a leash or behind a fenced or walled yard - when they come into contact with other animals, they sometimes go crazy - and that's scary.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
In central FL most of the cur dogs seen running around (Orlando, Lakeland, Winter Haven) have pit bull bred into them. It is something I've noticed in Central FL for nearly 15 yrs. now.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:47 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
pitt bulls are nothing but a "fad type dog", gotta have one if you are cool. They are terrible dogs. No way would I own one... A friend of mine's uncle had one for 11 years since it was a baby, treated it like a child of his. One night he was eating popcorn watching tv, it stood up, showed it teeth, and went for his neck. He had to throw it out the front door, then had it picked up and put down. they are loose cannons. I hate those dogs...

Old 10-05-2009, 11:30 AM

19 posts, read 81,241 times
Pitt bulls are not bad dogs-no dog is 'bad' or 'evil' or 'go for the throat'. They actually were in the 30s and 40s called 'nanny dogs 'and were a very popular family pet.
Their recent ill fame comes from the media, and from that they are used by gangs, bad people (yep, there are those, just look at Michael Vick) and ill treated and abused by the ignorant, those with serious power issues who use the poor animal as a weapon, and who are abusive.
I'm sorry for the owner of the small dog, that would traumatize me, and I do think the owner of the pitt bulls need to be held accountable. I think ALL DOGS need to be walked on a leash, and not allowed to run loose. I think if a dog is aggressive, it needs to be trained, and to be walked on a firm leash.
I work in animal rescue. I am more concerned with the people who have pets in general, and those who use pitts as 'things' as opposed to companion animals.
Pitties do need owners who are responsible, kind, willing to work with them and if they take a rescued animal, be aware of the dog's background. That said, I have had them in groups where they are the submissive dog, and the dog who is bullied by other dogs.
If 'dog selling' was done away with, if animal rescues and shelters were promoted, you'd see alot less of this. When I did adoptions for animals, I was very careful about who my animals were adopted to.

It's sad that an animal has to suffer for human stupidity.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:07 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrecat View Post
Pitt bulls are not bad dogs-no dog is 'bad' or 'evil' or 'go for the throat'. They actually were in the 30s and 40s called 'nanny dogs 'and were a very popular family pet.
Their recent ill fame comes from the media, and from that they are used by gangs, bad people (yep, there are those, just look at Michael Vick) and ill treated and abused by the ignorant, those with serious power issues who use the poor animal as a weapon, and who are abusive.
I'm sorry for the owner of the small dog, that would traumatize me, and I do think the owner of the pitt bulls need to be held accountable. I think ALL DOGS need to be walked on a leash, and not allowed to run loose. I think if a dog is aggressive, it needs to be trained, and to be walked on a firm leash.
I work in animal rescue. I am more concerned with the people who have pets in general, and those who use pitts as 'things' as opposed to companion animals.
Pitties do need owners who are responsible, kind, willing to work with them and if they take a rescued animal, be aware of the dog's background. That said, I have had them in groups where they are the submissive dog, and the dog who is bullied by other dogs.
If 'dog selling' was done away with, if animal rescues and shelters were promoted, you'd see alot less of this. When I did adoptions for animals, I was very careful about who my animals were adopted to.

It's sad that an animal has to suffer for human stupidity.
Then tell me why this guys dog of 11 years stood up and attacked his owner who treated him like on of his own childeren....? Help me understand this.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Your commentary about the kind of demographic that usually owns pitbulls is interesting, but given that Plantation Beach is neither low-income, inner-city, or predominantly "(ethnic/racial) minority" - and that the owners of this dog don't have names that indicate that they are "(ethnic/racial) minorities" either - this case doesn't seem to fit the mold.
There are irresponsible whackos from all walks of life who have pitbulls. However, most pitbulls are owned irresponsibly in inner city ghettos or trailer parks.Moderator cut: Flaming Dog fights: when is the last time you saw a heard of a bunch of high income Anglos get busted for a dog fighting ring?

Anyways, I posted this because I was outraged over the story. Maybe this did not deserve to be a thread. Then again, there are so many irresponsible pet owners all throughout Florida I decided to expose this dangerous breed and their stupid owners.

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-05-2009 at 07:52 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM

459 posts, read 804,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Then tell me why this guys dog of 11 years stood up and attacked his owner who treated him like on of his own childeren....? Help me understand this.

You just answered the question in your post. He treated it like a child. I know it's hard for some of you to understand but DOGS ARE NOT HUMANS!!!! They have a completly differant psychology. IF you don't give your dog the healthy balance of exercise, dicipline, and affection then yes you will have problems. You always hear about the pit bull that attacked the family and people say well he was such a great family dog and he was never a problem before. Well when you look at the situation closely you discover that the family rarely exercised the dog, and never diciplined it and just gave it over the top affection. When a dog sees this they see a weak pack leader and will take over the role themselves. And a pit bull as pack leader in a family can be a dangerous situation. Owning a well behaved trained pit bull takes a very experienced owner, and I would say 95% of dog owners are not responsible enough to take on that challenge.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:09 PM

122 posts, read 200,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Pitbulls aren't necessarily bad dogs, but they really need to be kept on a leash or behind a fenced or walled yard - when they come into contact with other animals, they sometimes go crazy - and that's scary.
They sometimes go crazy? Like their brains get too big for their heads? Pit bulls are prone to dog aggression period. And there is a HUGE misconception that because a pit bull kills a dog, it will kill a human. Talk to ANY behaviourist or trainer and they will tell you there is a difference between dog aggression and human aggression.

I can't tell you how many times I have walked my pit bull and I have had other dogs snarl, lunge, growl, and bark at my dog. My dog could care less about the other dog doing this but you can bet your bottom dollar if another dog got in his face,he would take care of himself. And if an unleashed dog came up to us and my dog attacked it, guess who would be at fault? That's right, my dog, not the other dog merely based on the breed he is.

And for the person that said he HATES pit bulls because of what his Uncle's pit bull did to him, there is a history there. Dogs should not be treated like children. My dog knows his place and I am ALWAYS in control.

I really wish there wasn't so many people that owned this breed. These dogs aren't for everyone and before someone decides to get one, they really need to sit back and ask themselves why they want one in the first place. There are plenty of responsible owners out there that aren't from inner cities and are educated. The dog attacks that happen, happen in urban areas. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Because I know the history of what I own, the dogmen of yesteryear should never be confused with the thugs of today (like Vick) that are fighting their dogs. Don't kid yourself, dogfighting still happens in the back of the woods but dogmen do it quietly. Think about it, if people in urban areas don't give a damn about humans why should they care about dogs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida