Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 07:26 PM

43 posts, read 153,108 times

Advertisements

Before buying we would like to try a few months (Jan - March) in the Villages. A web search turns up very few available rentals. Yet on one forum (A rant actually) the poster said there were "for rent" signs all over The Villages.

Can someone tell me if driving there to look in late November would be wise. Are there likely to be rentals (pet friendly - we have a 30 pound dog) available? It would be a several day trip.

We could always hope to find a rental outside The Villages but would really like to try out the life-style there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
You should be fine, friends of ours just rented two homes late October for 2 weeks each. With no problem finding rentals available. Did you try vrbo.com The Villages Florida Vacation Rentals by Owner - The Villages Florida VRBO, Vacation Home Rentals, Condo Rentals, FRBO Vacation Rentals, The Villages Florida Travel Information (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/florida/central-disney-orlando/the-villages - broken link)

Old 10-07-2009, 10:33 AM

Thanks so much for the reply! I checked vrbo.com. There are a few pet friendly places listed but no calendar is shown. Contact owner instead. The others are all taken.

Is it unrealistic to hope that there might be unlisted rentals (pet friendly) available? We would prefer to see the unit before renting after a bad experience three years ago in another part of Florida. Also there is a concern that health problems might keep us from going which would mean losing the deposit.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:54 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Ohhhh, Pet Friendly is probably why you are having a harder time finding a place, I understand now. The places my friends are renting are both no pets allowed. So I am watching their dogs while they are there. Unlisted rentals available I don't know, I would think probably not. Anyone that wants to rent their place out would have it listed someplace. I would want to see pictures before I rented someplace, for sure.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:31 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. You've confirmed what I suspected. If we want to go this winter we will need to take a chance and decide soon.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:35 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Another site is homeaway.com Good Luck to YOU!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:06 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,128 times
I own a rental home about 13 miles south of the Villages in another gated golf community. I always have those peak winter months rented usually a year ahead of time and turn away over 100 folks per season who look too late. I have people already interested in the 2010-2011 winter season.

Most folks do not allow pets. I myself am a dog lover, but when I turn away so many, I can afford to be picky, so I do not allow pets in my rental home.

Frank

Old 10-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Default Pets - Sort of off subject but added in case someone is interested.

I can understand people not wanting pets because they have no idea what the renters or pet might be like. Ours is well behaved and not destructive, but if we left him alone for long he would likely bark for awhile and then again when he heard noises outside.

If l had it to do over, I would not have taken in another dog. Even traveling in an RV is restrictive because we can't leave him alone long enough to take side trips etc. Pet friendly motel rooms are often dirty, even when they charge an extra cleaning fee. And we can't leave him alone in the room because he would likely disturb others. So my husband goes out to dinner and orders a second one to bring home for me.

One advantage we have in motels is that I also need a handicap friendly room and they are usually not the ones where they put dogs.

But we've taken on the responsibility and he has a lot of years left, I think. At least he gives us a lot of laughs and love.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:05 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,128 times
If you are set on The Villages, check their local forum, Talk of The Villages - The Villages, Florida

They have a rental section. Good luck!

Frank

Old 10-11-2009, 03:10 PM

Thanks again, Frank. I couldn't find anything on their rental section. We have called and found only one possibility for November and December. I'm not sure that will be long enough to know if we like it enough to buy, but it seems to be the only option. Am waiting for an email from the owner after talking on the phone with him.

Funny, it seems the people we know who go there seem to think it should be easy to find a rental. But they are owners and really don't know the rental situation.

I really appreciate your interest!
Peggy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida