Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 03:35 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times

Advertisements

Do not incite the bully. If Tony kills his dogs, then Tony would be liable for death and damages. In some states, killing a dog is now a felony. So the one getting screwed over would be Tony since the bully will retaliate to get Tony in trouble.

What Tony should do is put a camera in his car or front door recording the whole yard and street. A person cannot win a criminal case without evidence. Tony shouldn't have to get bit to make this bully stop. It might work, but without proof , the bully will get a slap on the wrist or just a warning. Evidence is the key. Tony can sue this guy for harrassment and terrorism. The point is, that Tony should not give the bully what he wants, which is for Tony to break the law. Cameras are not that expensive nowadays, and Tony should strive to go outside when the camera is recording, since the neighbor will fall into his own trap and choke himself with his own cord, by going outside when Tony goes out.

Bullies behave the way they do when they think nobody will do anything. With enough proof, anything can get done in this world. Even stopping a bully dead in his tracks.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:58 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
If Tony could set up a video camera to record this activity it would be good. The authorities definitely should be notified because this is racial intimidation.
Having a video as evidence would be great, but I believe you could be a witness and relay what you have seen and heard.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:09 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I live on a cul-de-sac, and a black family, mom and one adult child, moved in about a year ago. Unfortunately, they moved next door to a bigoted bully. This man, who lives alone(his wife, a bigger bully, just passed away), owns two very large Rottwieller(sp?) dogs, which he is using to scare and intimidate his neighboors, especially the black guy, Tony. Everytime Tony walks down the street, Joe(the bully) makes sure he is outside w/ the dogs off the leash. He tells the dogs "watch him, keep your eyes on him", ect. The dogs are vicious and growl, bark, and show teeth as their owner encourages this aggressive behavior. Tony tried to polietly address the situation by asking if Joe could keep the dogs on a leash or at least wait till Tony has the opportunity to walk into his house or walk past Joe's house. Joe told him no, and furthermore, if Tony sees Joe's garage door open, he is to wait until Joe is done outside w/ the dogs. Last night, as Tony was trying to get to his house, Joe and dogs came rushing out, and Tony barely made it inside before the dogs rushed him. These dogs weigh over 150 lbs a piece. Tony is obviously very upset and terrified for his personal safety. BUT, Tony does not want to confront Joe, he just wants to keep the peace. He says racism is everywhere and nothing unusual. I think he should call the police AND tell Joe to end this horrible behavior. I am totally disgusted and feel Joe will continue to abuse, threaten, and bully ppl because no one opposes him, hence he gets away with it. What do you all think? What can I do to help Tony, who reached out to me for advice? I am so angry right now! Btw, sorry for the long paragraph, my PDA takes out the paragraph spaces. Thanks in advance, ....lil red........
Why hasn't anyone contacted the police? Could it be because everyone is truly afraid of this man and his dogs? How dare this bully act as badly as he does and he sounds to me like he could seriously hurt someone. Call the police then form a neighborhood watch. If you can get neighbors to join a neighborhood watch and exclude the bully, he might get the message. Most towns have a leash law for dogs especially dangerous ones who have been taught to guard their property like these rotties have. If they are off the leash and dangerous, Mr. Bully is breaking the law. Stop this man before he does hurt someone. What if his dogs go after a child? then what?

So, please, please, please, contact the Police even if your friend won't. Start a neighborhood watch and do not include the Bully until he agrees to back off. In the meantime, tell your friend to carry a spray bottle with just a little ammonia in it diluted with water. Citronella also works and is less harmful. He should also carry a cell phone so he can take photos of these dogs and their owner and also be ready to call the Police.

It is great to have the attitude that "there is prejudice everywhere" but it does not make it ok. It is also NOT ok for this man to continue with his behavior. Don't be afraid of him or his dogs..he wants that. Take the proper channels and back him down.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:51 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
He should definitely call the police. I'm sure there are laws against intimidating and harassing your neighbors. They need to start keeping a diary of every event that could be construed as harassment, so that if something major does happen, the "big guy" next door will end up in jail. They could also sue for emotional distress. Do not shoot the mans dogs unless they outright are about to attack.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:03 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times
Racism isn't just white people.

YouTube - The Story of Christopher Jones - From ABC News

Old 10-11-2009, 09:08 AM

261 posts, read 704,857 times
I had a similar situation with an armed and dangerous neighbor over the course of 5 years back in Denver. The biggest mistake I made was falling into his trap and not involving law enforcement/lawyers sooner. It was a horrible living situation, never being able to relax. It's not something I really like to talk about.

This guy sounds like he has guns and is dumb enough to use them (I eventually learned my neighbor was). Who knows - just be safe and do the right thing. This guy has nothing to lose, which means even if you play his game and "win" you still lose when it's you going to jail. He has nothing to lose, while nice, reasonable people like you and your neighbor have everything to lose.

I wouldn't let the race thing bother you too much. A dirty loser like that will always find one reason or another to hate you.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 AM

24 posts, read 57,642 times
Sounds like tony needs to do this.
1.) does this place have a homeowners association talk to them, if no.
2.) Carry a tazer and pepper spray on his daily being held down by the man sessions.
3.) start a dialogue with law enforcement. Most communities have cops working with criminal watch program.

Better yet why don't you go talk with Bubba. ask the guy "why are you doing it"?

Tell him you don't like it. Inivte him and tony over to your place for a beer and discuss?

Last edited by clank; 10-11-2009 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Little harsh cutting it back

Old 10-11-2009, 11:54 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Why hasn't anyone contacted the police? Could it be because everyone is truly afraid of this man and his dogs? How dare this bully act as badly as he does and he sounds to me like he could seriously hurt someone. Call the police then form a neighborhood watch. If you can get neighbors to join a neighborhood watch and exclude the bully, he might get the message. Most towns have a leash law for dogs especially dangerous ones who have been taught to guard their property like these rotties have. If they are off the leash and dangerous, Mr. Bully is breaking the law. Stop this man before he does hurt someone. What if his dogs go after a child? then what?
Good points!

How do your other neighbors feel about this situation? It has to be extremely isolating for Tony and his mom to be treated this way in their new home. Would it be possible to talk to some other neighbors (maybe even include the local clergy) and plan a small neighborhood picnic or coffee to welcome Tony and Mom, to introduce them to the other neighbors, and to show them some support? The neighbors MUST show a united front against this bigot.

I've seen TV news programs where neighborhoods handled racial harassment this way...and it worked.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 PM

542 posts, read 991,178 times
It would be a damn shame if antifreeze somehow ended up in those dog's bowls, or Joe's. Just kidding, or am I?? Tony should get his own dogs and train them to intimidate the bully and his dogs. By intimidate, I mean turn them into a tasty snack. Do racist strips taste better than beggin' strips?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Years ago I had a friend with this problem. The next door neighbor was a troublemaker and a police officer. A surveillance system caught him tampering with my friend's car, doing who knows what to it. The dog ended up in his yard and was taken care of, and hauled off to the canal. The situation ended up with a domestic dispute and divorce. No racism in that situation, though. As a kid I had a problem with a pit bull that tried to attack me as I went to school. Thankfully good timing and a truck took care of that situation. Otherwise I would have had to actually use the muriatic acid fogger I had rigged up as a junior high student.

Be smart, install cameras and a DVR and get evidence so you can either press charges or file a lawsuit. Also it protects you if any dogs come on your property and you have to put it or them down. A weed burner is a good deterrent and I have yet to see a dog who will attack when flames are shooting in its direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida