Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:45 AM

485 posts, read 1,703,826 times

Advertisements

Here in the Gainesville area you will feel very out of place if you aren't a Gators fan (I couldn't care less about any sports). The town is very pretty, clean and safe, but it is dominated by the college kids. The weather is alllll over the place - it can range from 80 to 35 degrees in a matter of 24 hours, but it is ALWAYS humid and damp feeling. There are a lot of rednecks in the area and the local Wal-marts carry hunting gear (ewww - something I didn't miss while living in L.A.). Overall, I think Gainesville would be a wonderful place to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 05:56 AM

18,120 posts, read 11,754,865 times
Brevard County/Space Coast

City feel in small neighboring towns
Traffic- rush hour madness (5 miles = 20 minutes)
Weather patterns - right now (7:45 am) chilly 73 cloudy - highs 70-80-90's December
Colleges - Brevard Community and Atlantic Tech
Beaches- waves for short/low surfing
Ocean shoreline and the River
Jobs - Medical jobs in demand
Housing - (Mixed) Old Floridian homes and new cookie cutter communities

Old 12-09-2009, 07:29 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Here in the Gainesville area you will feel very out of place if you aren't a Gators fan (I couldn't care less about any sports). The town is very pretty, clean and safe, but it is dominated by the college kids. The weather is alllll over the place - it can range from 80 to 35 degrees in a matter of 24 hours, but it is ALWAYS humid and damp feeling. There are a lot of rednecks in the area and the local Wal-marts carry hunting gear (ewww - something I didn't miss while living in L.A.). Overall, I think Gainesville would be a wonderful place to raise a family.

LOL, most do. Not sure what's "ewww" about it though. Rednecks + hunting =

Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 AM

128 posts, read 192,678 times
Martin county has no crime but the cops are way under worked so they are bored , safe yes but they are nazis .

Old people here are all asleep or at home by 9pm dont go out here again most places are closed up , I took the wife and kids to Publix here 9pm friday night had pizza next store they asked us to leave it was 9:30 pm they were closing !

Its 86 degrees here today dec 7th last night 98% humidity 80 degress not nice at all.

We live in a rich town and looks like a redneck dump when driving up and down US 1 .

trailer parks and auto dealers even if you did cheat on your wife she would feel safe here most girls are ugly, Tiger has a house here he should have just moved in saved himseld alot of money lol.

Very expensive or you live in a trailer not much in between .

Look I hate to sound jaded but I would rather not lie its is what it is .

Old 12-10-2009, 12:22 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Ok, Florida is a big state with lots of regional variety and even two time zones. Tell us what life is like in your part of Florida. First off, where do you live(roughly if you don't want to get too specific) in Florida? Are you in the Panhandle, Central Fla., North Eastern part, South East or West coast, Keys? Are you living in a rural area or one of our major metro areas? What is the weather like in your part of the Sunshine State? How about the geography- tropical, swampy, hilly? How about the foliage, Orange groves, Oak trees or Palm trees? Finally, what are the people like, Southern or a lot of transplants from the Northeast or Midwest? How's the crime? So, what is life like for you in your section of Florida? Thank you and have a great day, ..lil red..
I live on the gulf coast in Sarasota, downtown, touristy during season (not so much the last few years due to economy), palm trees, Siesta Key & Lido beach about sum it up. It's a mix of Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin & natives. The crime is terrible. I work on Longboat Key and thank the great spirit in the sky everyday for my employment. My drive to work is about 10 miles each way at 45 mph. Going home I drive back through St. Armand's where the tourists have no idea where they're headed. I love where I work; I love where I live, with the exception of the criminal element, it's not so bad. Very good town for arts & entertainment; many more young people between the ages of 30 and 55 than ever. So much to do, I can't even keep up with everything.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:35 PM

The crime is terrible even in Sarasota now? Eek. What a nice place Sarasota was.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:12 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,365 times
Daytona Beach
  • Central, FL (Weather, I-4 + Broadcast Market); NE FL Geographic
  • Historic Downtown (walk/bicycle, least I've driven a car in years! ) Larger small town with village feel that doesn't shut down at sunset.
  • Moved here from the heat/humidity of S. Florida. Milder summers, easier distance for variety of day trips. Cooler than Orlando in Summers and Warmer in Winter due to Atlantic Trade Winds. Miss MIA/FLL airports for choices because I hate ATL and now have to make all connects there. I love the blue skies and light!
  • A few hills, ridges; Halifax River and Atlantic Ocean; Riverfront Park; River grasslands; Ocala National Forest; Springs
  • Canopies of historic live oaks, lots of sabal palms and palmettos, ferns (hammock).
  • Daytona is an oasis of transplants (who can read) in a sea of Southern ignorance in Volusia County, but most people can't bother me (although I can be shocked by their behavior ).
  • Crime is very low but can get freaky from drifters during special events with car breakins and burglaries. Violent crime is rare and usually during events.
  • I like funky, ecclectic, diverse, eccentric (and even edgy) -- the faux-sanitized, "cookie cutter" suburban sprawl/mall life bores me (like Wonderbread, Cool Whip and Velveeta are not really foods but "food products")! I love the real in street theater!
  • I like old houses, their smells and their stories.
  • I can drive around Daytona in 15-20 minutes (like I used to in other parts of South Florida) -- no 5 minute traffic signals here!
  • It's small but not boring because of all the activities, events and tourists passing through. I have all the conveniences without the congestion or noise. I can eat dinner at a real restaurant at midnight (or later), like I could in S. Florida.
  • Jobs are scarce now and many people have been laid-off -- but we still have managed to keep our storefronts open -- unlike other areas of Florida I've driven through lately with "ghost" strip malls and streets.
  • I love cycling, fishing, boating, swimming and nature.
I love my life, my house and Daytona Beach!

Here's a link to a pic of my neighborhood:
//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...eachstreet.jpg

Old 12-11-2009, 06:17 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
The crime is terrible even in Sarasota now? Eek. What a nice place Sarasota was.
Crime in Sarasota has been about the same on average since 1999. Since the CItydata figures don't go further back then that, I suspect that it would probably be the same going back years before that as well.

Or, like the case of South Florida, crime might have been much WORSE in the 80s and 90s than it is today.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:33 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Crime in Sarasota has been about the same on average since 1999. Since the CItydata figures don't go further back then that, I suspect that it would probably be the same going back years before that as well.

Or, like the case of South Florida, crime might have been much WORSE in the 80s and 90s than it is today.
Doubtful. City Data is not up to date...

Old 12-11-2009, 07:42 AM

Sarasota is so pretty, I'd hate to see it get crime ridden and full of drifters and criminals. I know that really sad child abduction case happened there back in like 2003 or so. A criminal running from the law up north and was hiding out in Sarasota working as a car mechanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida