Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris22 View Post
sounds great i believe my animals are due for the vacinations but i cant get into a vet around here till after my move date, i will need to get into a vet down there when i arrive
Don't be shocked when you see the prices...vets charge a lot in FL too! I think they're worth it though, I know mine is - he's a great vet !

Good luck with your move and welcome to FL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 PM

102 posts, read 555,306 times
Thanks, i am dreading the drive

Old 05-08-2007, 09:13 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Maybe the dog will trade off driving time with you......wait.....no.......I think that's illegal too......oh well!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,045 times
I just saw my vet, and my cat had all his shots. I also had him implanted with a microchip. Since we are moving to hurricane country, I want him to be identified if we get separated in a disaster.

I also got a prescription for antidepressants for him when we take the drive. He is an ex feral psycho, and I am not in the mood for "bill the cat" on steroids, which is what is is like when he flips out.

Since he is a 20 pound agressive wack job, it is unlikely anyone would adopt him if he got lost, so he is now microchipped.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
I highly encourage you to get the shots that are against heart worms, these are spread by mosquito and we have LOTS of mosquitos here...
I didn't worry so much in Texas, there was NO standing water anywhere near me but here I made sure my dog got that particular shot.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:28 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
I also got a prescription for antidepressants for him when we take the drive. He is an ex feral psycho, and I am not in the mood for "bill the cat" on steroids, which is what is is like when he flips out.

Since he is a 20 pound agressive wack job, it is unlikely anyone would adopt him if he got lost, so he is now microchipped.

Now you have to post a picture of psycho-cat!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:59 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,892,327 times
Pets are very ,very common in Fl, as you can imagine due to all the retired persons here. Nobody is going to come and check on your pets, as other have opined here. One advise I give you, find a Vet which only gives him /her the neccesary vaccines only. Vets here, IMHO, tend to give unneccesary tests for everything and then charge you accordingly. I have found this out with my pets. After spending hundreds, I finally found a Vet which is not going to make a bundle from your yearly visit, but it took me a while (and lots of money!!)
Good luck on your move here, Chris!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:31 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris22 View Post
sounds great i believe my animals are due for the vacinations but i cant get into a vet around here till after my move date, i will need to get into a vet down there when i arrive
Maybe you could post in the "pets" section and see if anybody recommends a vet where you're moving. Then follow the vet's advice. The annual visit for my dogs is about $150.00 each, which includes all their shots. Heartworm meds cost about $4 per month per dog, and you'll want to use Advantage or another flea & tick preventative if your dogs are outside or around other animals.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:43 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Don't be shocked when you see the prices...vets charge a lot in FL too! I think they're worth it though, I know mine is - he's a great vet !
I have my regular vet (who my family has been going to for 30+ years) and my emergency vet right around the corner. The price difference is huge form vet to vet. My regular vet is cheap (not sure how he has been in business as long as he has charging those cheap prices, guess he has many clients to make up for it), and my emergency vet if it was my regular vet (which he is for many insane people) charges double for the same shots compared to my reg. vet. So check around, they are all different. The price above is similiar to what my emergency vet would charge, but I pay around $60 a year, it is crazy the price differences.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,653 times
im think of movin th the orange park area are theyre ne pit bull laws there ty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida