Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times

Advertisements

But they are not saying it is all rosey & Disneyland-ness.

Some just want to be in the weather. So be it After 5 yrs in the armpit of Texas, this weather is great! (well, I will probably retract that if there is a hurricane)

Personally, I miss the change of seasons & just the midwestern way of life, but my husband makes the $$ & right now this is his "dream". I am a SAHM & that was my dream, so I gotta find all the positive I can to stay sane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 08:19 PM

158 posts, read 868,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yeah. Nice travel brochures. Has nothing to do with making a living in the state, or all the other realities of real life.

Florida is real life folks. You have to deal with crime and high costs and all that comes with it. It is not Disney World.
I lived in Florida for 2 years and moved back to IL when I had my 1st child to be near family. I am sorry I did. I am now moving back. I actually love the weather and all the beauty in Florida. The beaches the sunshine the sunsets the shells even those cute little green lizards and oh yes the palm trees all that stuff just makes me smile and its all pretty much free. It is also more layed back than where I live now.

Every where has bad points like you mentioned Hiknapster like crime and high costs.

I am sorry maybe you already answered this and I missed but you sound like you do not like Florida. Why are you there?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 PM

670 posts, read 1,743,195 times
Talking Ok, you got me vpcats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo
But, I moved to Fl for the friendly people, quaint atmosphere and mild spring like summers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
hahahahahahaha. Yep! Those are GREAT reasons.
Dam*! You got me. Saw right through me, did'nt you? It was the drugs of course.... it was the *&%# cheap drugs of the late 70s.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:54 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
unless u r a single person just coming down here to get by and have some fun u need serious $$$$money to live here. maybe some northern rural areas are still affordable but the major metros and expensive, real expensive when all things are considered

Old 05-08-2007, 08:58 PM

Talking Ok, the REAL reason I chose FL... The doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I am curious about this. In the US 98% of wealth and property is inherited or handed down.

If you do not have a career/ or are transferring with your profession, WHY are you choosing Florida? I am curious as to why Florida still appears to be the "mecca" that California was in the 1970's.....

sunny
Something about the doors in Coral Gables:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/emaildata/2006_0731_215416AA.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIL View Post
I lived in Florida for 2 years and moved back to IL when I had my 1st child to be near family. I am sorry I did. I am now moving back. I actually love the weather and all the beauty in Florida. The beaches the sunshine the sunsets the shells even those cute little green lizards and oh yes the palm trees all that stuff just makes me smile and its all pretty much free. It is also more layed back than where I live now.

Every where has bad points like you mentioned Hiknapster like crime and high costs.

I am sorry maybe you already answered this and I missed but you sound like you do not like Florida. Why are you there?
It's there for all to see. Look to the right. And above. I don't live there anymore.

And my husband was born in Chicago and lived there for 12 years, and then lived in Florida for 25.

We don't live there anymore.

We were priced out. If you've got the bucks, move to Florida. I love Florida. I just can't afford to live there.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 PM

Funny JBravo. The majority of people couldn't afford to spit on those doors.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:11 PM

Talking AmeriKa have bean viri goot to me

Quote:
Funny JBravo. The majority of people couldn't afford to spit on those doors.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 PM

A direct quote from JBravo:

"Well, as a Cuban, I feel qualified to point out a couple of errors.
1st. Most Cubans are much more highly educated than your avarage Mexican immigrant; therefore, it is their hope to return to Cuba to help the island rebuild at some point in the future. They are grateful to be here until such a time comes.
2nd. This is were you really messed up. In comparison, the avarage Mexican immigrant is here to take over your country, they call it the "reconquista" the reconquering (for real) They have no intentions of leaving. They despise you and are not grateful to be here.
For you to confuse a Cuban with a Mexican does give credit to something I've heard them say, namely that Gringos are stupid."

Welcome to Florida

Old 05-08-2007, 09:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Arrow i love-

Quote:
Yeah. Nice travel brochures. Has nothing to do with making a living in the state, or all the other realities of real life.

Florida is real life folks. You have to deal with crime and high costs and all that comes with it. It is not Disney World.

the pelicans. i loved living on Broken sound. If you are retired- enjoy-

Anyone who has minimal job skills and moves down there will have a rude awakening- read about the job market- read posts from those who moved out after their husbands transfer.

Just dont act surprised when you are there 11 months, have a mortgage to pay and find you cant get a job.

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida