Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:00 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times

Advertisements

I also wonder if the back to back titles has anything to do with it? There are those parents out there who want their son Johnny to be the next Heisman Trophy winner or por football/basketball player...so, has UF seen an increase in prospective students? Does the school expect more attendance to games/tailgate parties/merchandise selling [HUGE bucks there]...this is turn helps the economics of Gainesville [the general populace will not see it, but government can give a nice little number to those higher up].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times
Riveree, I completly agree, could not have said it better, I think alot of people that are older would feel the exact same way. It would be different to some extent if Gainesville was 2 or 3 times larger than it is, but at its size and with that many students the age ratio is too out of balance, I also would feel very out of place, I am in my 50's and I don't want to live where every one is old, but I don't want to be where the median age is around 25 either. Maybe they can put this city in a best places magazine, but I don't think it should be listed as a best place in the retirement publications.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:51 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Sterlings is actually a really good source & have a website that explains the criteria for ranking, etc. The rankings & book comes out once a year. The authors specifically state their criteria IS NOT for everyone but hope some of the factors they use help other. Sterling has always heavily weighed on college towns.

The rating is not that Gainesville is ultra-perfect, but it scored the highest in the criteria the authors were using.

Last year, Charlottesvill, VA was #1. Anyone ever try to live in Charlottesville on under $75k/yr ? It's a gorgoeus area if you have the $$ & the authors state that it is expensive to live there.
Criteria is usually based on education[ if UF saw better rankings in their academic programs, this was probably a big sway], affordability [compared to cities of the same size w/ same demograhics], healthcare, standard of living [things to do to stay active, culture, theatre, arts, etc], housing [compared to cities of the same size w/ same demographics], and job growth & opportunity. It also looks at how the city has grown in the past years.

If by some chance Gainesville saw a positive job growth last year & many of their graduates staying in the area who found jobs in the area, that is another factor.

Actually grew up in Charlottesville and it certainly was nice, but I believe my family did make a bit more than that, AND it was 20+ years ago...

Anyway, yes it's expensive.... I have a feeling that's the trump card Gainesville has right now is that it's much cheaper than C'Ville. Charlottesville has excellent schools and two excellent medical facilities and a great university....... Oddly enough, Gainesville has all the above as well (though I'm uncertain about primary schooling and I hate the University of Florida ) for much cheaper so the ratings make sense....

Old 05-09-2007, 07:27 AM

CMon...the Shenadoah Valley compared to...Gainesville...

We use to go camping there when I was a kid. Good memories.

My husband received a job offer in Stuarts Draft. We couldn't afford the area...even to rent...

Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
OREGONRAIN - I agree with your posts. As I have mentioned on this forum before, we have a small second home in Asheville, NC. Asheville is another of those town's that always ranks high on the "Best Places" lists. In fact, just this year it was ranked by some other website as #1 in America to live. For us, it really IS a "best place", but this is all subjective, this town isn't for everyone. And you know, it's true that with all the media hoopla shown on a town people start to investigate and move there and it drives the prices WAY up - I can't believe how much prices have gone up since we bought there only two years ago.

These "best places" lists can look at statistics and data, but the bottom line is a lot of personal subjectivity has to go into what makes a "best place" for anyone. I have never lived in Gainesville, just passed through it many times. I see it is a nice place, but nothing about it makes me personally, want to move there. Not saying it isn't a great place to live, I just question it being ranked the NUMBER ONE place to live or retire.

Bottom line, I guess is that everyone needs to use these lists as a guide, and read the statistics and what each place has to offer, then do research on one's own, including many visits to the area before just making a big move which could turn out to be a mistake.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
CMon...the Shenadoah Valley compared to...Gainesville...

We use to go camping there when I was a kid. Good memories.

My husband received a job offer in Stuarts Draft. We couldn't afford the area...even to rent...
Charlottesville isn't in the Shenandoah, it's in the Piedmont region just on the other side of the Blue Ridge..... Honestly tomayto-tomahto as far as beauty is concerned, but gotta make it 100% accurrate..

Old 05-09-2007, 08:15 AM

My bad. Trying to do too many things at one time & the internet should not be one of them.
My dh told me that Stuarts Draft had a lot to be desired though I am assuming it is more industrial there & not a place to "live".

Have only driven through Gainesville. I am an OSU grad so I have no need to stop & visit

Old 05-09-2007, 08:22 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I've lived in Gainesville for 3 years and have read a bit of the background behind its ranking. It does have a lot to do with educational level of the general populace. Retirees are also attracted to the idea of living in a city that is not full of old people. The cultural offerings are pretty good.

From what I've observed in my short time here, the city is not particularly interested in marketing itself. Population growth is viewed negatively by many city planners. It also appears that the announcement took the Chamber of Commerce by surprise. G'ville was ranked around 50 a couple of years ago.

On the whole, though, I feel that if Gainesville is ranked #1, the rest of the country must be in pretty sad shape. It's a nice town but nothing to get excited about.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
My bad. Trying to do too many things at one time & the internet should not be one of them.
My dh told me that Stuarts Draft had a lot to be desired though I am assuming it is more industrial there & not a place to "live".

Have only driven through Gainesville. I am an OSU grad so I have no need to stop & visit
Eh, don't know too much about Stuarts Draft other than it's near Staunton which seems like a decent little community and Harrisonburg which has a bit more 'civilization' to it....

I understand with the little one..... Been there, "Honey, I'll play with you in a sec, just let me finish typing this........." Okay there DONE....

"Oh wait gotta respond to this one..."

My wife and three year old don't join me up here for another two weeks, so I'll be back there soon enough...

Old 05-09-2007, 10:02 AM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times
I think all these posts are excellent, we all seem to know not to base to much faith in these ratings, Gainesville is nice, and has alot of what the ratings say, but number 1 in the country would make one wonder about what shape the rest of the country is in. With Portland's ranking as number 3 on this list, we here wonder about that, With high unemployment, and rampant meth use and the crime with it, not to mention high cost of living. I would not recommend a family pack up and move here unless they were way out of town somewhere. I agree with the post about Asheville, every publication was plugging that town for some time, and people started moving there, now it is way way overpriced. Its best to form our own best places list from the research we do on different places. What is appealing to one is not always appealing to everyone in these different best places ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida