Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:42 PM

33 posts, read 158,328 times

Advertisements

Here is the link:

Gainesville graduates to best city - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 11:47 PM

90 posts, read 368,458 times
I can't believe I am about to leave here. It has been my home for 12 years but as a single 30 year old I want to rip my hair out sometimes LOL.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:24 PM

33 posts, read 158,328 times
If you are single and want to party,club and go barhopping then definitely seek out a bigger city. When you get that out of your system and want to settle down then give Gainesville a hard look. I see big things happening to this " town" over the next 10 years. High tech jobs are growing in the area mostly in the area of biotech(spinoffs from UF). There is a drastic need for nurses in the area( as there is all over). Check out the towns of Alachua,High Springs, and Newberry which are relatively close to Gainesville and have more affordable housing.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 14,508 times
Default Gainesville hassles relate to student apathy

I've always thought Gainesville's motto should be "Big-city hassles, small-town options..."

Seriously, Gainesville would probably be a great place to live if it wasn't for the town's love-hate relationship with the university. While 50,000 students account for half the town's population, and about another 100,000 people commute from surrounding counties to work in Gainesville, you would think local government historically would have catered to the university, right?

Well, no, as evidenced by the myopic development plan which has turned Gainesville into a total gridlock city USA. Parts of Archer road can be walked faster than they can be driven.

Gainesville is the place where traffic gets jammed in *both* directions twice a day. How has this happened? Simply put, luxury condos going up everywhere, not a new road being built anywhere.

That combined with the absolute impossibility of parking within a two-mile radius of the university makes Gainesville a great place to go into business as a tow-truck operator.

The oversimplified problem is that townspeople, while eager to benefit financially from the university, hold its human needs at arm's length; and students, while numerous, don't vote. Hence, few needed improvements are made.

To be fair, I think that the current city officials really do mean well and there have been real efforts made to revitalize the East side and downtown, as well as address concerns over the homeless population. It's not an easy job, as they have been up against a lot of "not-in-my-backyard" type mentality.

If you're going to live here, the Northwest is where permanent residents tend to congregate.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:31 PM

30 posts, read 93,601 times
im coming into this thread a year late lol. but im looking at UF for a ph.d in zoology. they have the best zoology program in the country and right now I go to southern illinois university. Im from Ohio but have no hard feelings towards fla. then again I hate osu. however... my fiancee graduated from OSU a couple years ago so im not too sure how he'll like moving to florida... lol. especially going to UF!

I grew up in dayton and lived in cincy for a while too. I liked it. even though they were crime ridden, its still my home. and ill always love dayton. but carbondale is a crap hole. NOTHING! there is nothing here. niente... nada... zilch. the closest "major" city is mount vernon which is an hour and a half away. the closest actualy major city is st. louis which is 2 hours away and after that is memphis at 3.5 hours away. we are so bored here all the time its not even funny.

but we both have all the partying out of our systems. i went to miami and he went to osu so we have done our fair share of partying. but gainesville still looks like its in the middle of nowhere. we want a city kinda like dayton. not too huge but surrounded by smaller cities. but there are hardly any universities in the u.s. that offer both a ph.d in zoology for me and a ph.d in marketing for him. so we might have to settle.

but from you guys it sounds like its pretty nice. we are driving to miami for our honeymoon so we'll be on I-75 (goes straight from dayton through fla) so we might stop off and see what its all about.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:06 AM

3 posts, read 16,348 times
what is the weather like all year round in Gainsville,Fl

Old 11-10-2012, 05:07 AM

3 posts, read 16,348 times
what is the homes for rent going in Gainesville,Fl and how is he weather there all year round

Old 11-10-2012, 08:56 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
Gainesville is a very nice town, but I would argue Tallahassee is better. Its got all Gainesville has and a few more job opportunities.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
What a joke... guess whoever rated it completely ignored several huge sections of town which are completely blighted. And the fact that the nicer areas are outside of city limits.

Tallahassee sucks worse by the way...

Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Tallahassee is a beautiful city with a much more diverse job field than Gainesville, a larger population, and access to some of the worlds most beautiful beaches. Not to mention that it's home to two large universities. It's funny to even compare the two..

A state capitol, diverse jobs, two universities, and world class beaches nearby...

vs.

A small swamp town in the middle of nowhere that's made up of a college and a hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida