Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:59 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times

Advertisements

This is not the time to move to Florida, PERIOD. Anyone is smart to stay away until this state gets it's act together. Maybe after the bubble busts and the pseudo-economy collapses you can come back to Florida. For now you'll have to fight off those of us escaping this hell-hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 07:03 AM

60 posts, read 107,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolee View Post
But when I think about it that is really ALL I hate about Michigan, is the snow and cold in the winter. We really do not have earthquakes, hurricanes,
or other disasters.
Jolee, I am sorry to hear that you let a few of the whiners sway you from moving to Florida. Florida does not have disasters all the time. As a matter of fact, when we bought our hurricane shutters, the salesman told us that he'd been living in Florida for 21 years and he only had to put his own shutters up twice in all that time and both times were in 2004 for our back-to-back hurricanes. Otherwise, no disasters. In Michigan you can always count on snow, cold and ice. Enjoy ice skating on your beautiful lakes.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:19 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Hey folks, let's give the OP some credit here. I think she was wise to read everyone's comments - believe me, the Florida forum is NOT the only "negative" one here, I read many and frankly find almost as much on any other board. Besides, why would anyone want to convince her to move one way or another?

I think she wisely evaluated the pros and cons and realized that she was pretty happy where she was after all - nuttin' wrong with that! A lot of times I read things here and it makes me reevaluate whatever I was complaining about to begin with.

So to the OP I say, congratulations on making a wise and informed decision. For many people such as yourself, Florida is best experienced as a vacation.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:11 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxcurious View Post
Jolee, I am sorry to hear that you let a few of the whiners sway you from moving to Florida. Florida does not have disasters all the time. As a matter of fact, when we bought our hurricane shutters, the salesman told us that he'd been living in Florida for 21 years and he only had to put his own shutters up twice in all that time and both times were in 2004 for our back-to-back hurricanes. Otherwise, no disasters. In Michigan you can always count on snow, cold and ice. Enjoy ice skating on your beautiful lakes.
Did you even read the original post??? Most on here have stated thier opinion that weather, in and of itself, isn't necessarily a great reason to move by itself...... This poster stated that other than weather she likes where she is and the board gave her some perspective in that regard..

One thread...... Just one where someone isn't trying to stir up ***** between "positive posters" and the "whiners"....

Old 05-09-2007, 10:02 AM

19 posts, read 87,112 times
Default Re: Reaction to my post

Thank you for your replys to my post, even the sarcastic ones. (LOL)
The reason I made the decision not to move to Florida is because I honestly
felt I would be trading one problem (snowy winters) for many other
problems. Sometimes the grass is not always greener. I did not base my
decision only from these boards. It was based on reading the boards and
visiting often this past year.
I truly wish you all the best who are in Florida and can enjoy
everything Florida has to offer. Again thank you for helping me appreciate
what I have.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:06 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,582 times
I am glad you were able to make a decision one way or another, it seems that that is always the hardest part of all.

Best of luck to you.

SKB

Old 05-09-2007, 11:21 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
if the weather is all that bothers you about michigan, i wouldnt pick up and move either. but, you certainly cant base a decsion off of what ppl on this forum say. you think you are reading all these unhappy ppl about the different things going on, when the truth is, it's usually the same ppl complaining about the same thing.

check out northern fla if you want to live in "old fla" as you may have remembered it from visiting in yrs past...

Old 05-09-2007, 12:17 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times
As little as two days ago we'd cool breezes and chilly eves. Most other days we've blue skies, sunshine and white puffy clouds. I too shall think of our northern friend all those icy, cold, grey, dreary winters days as I twirl about our grassy FLORIDA yard in my little t-shirt dress and soak in our backyard hot tub. Pass me my Pina Colada, please.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:20 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4Sale View Post
As little as two days ago we'd cool breezes and chilly eves. Most other days we've blue skies, sunshine and white puffy clouds. I too shall think of our northern friend all those icy, cold, grey, dreary winters days as I twirl about our grassy FLORIDA yard in my little t-shirt dress and soak in our backyard hot tub. Pass me my Pina Colada, please.
Unseasonably cool in Florida just like in the rest of the country..... Congrats on an exception of a year rather than the rule....

BTW, sorry someone felt my response to negative posters being labelled as "whiners" was the post that's stirring things up...... I surrender

Last edited by Rhett_Butler; 05-09-2007 at 12:29 PM..

Old 05-09-2007, 12:32 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolee View Post
I thought I hated Michigan, the 4 - 5 months of hibernation in the winter really makes me crazy. But when I think about it that is really ALL I hate about Michigan, is the snow and cold in the winter. We really do not have earthquakes, hurricanes, or other disasters.
It is true we do not have the ocean but we have beautiful lakes, and
incredible parks. The school system is great and my daughter is getting a
terrific education. Thank you for opening my eyes and making me appreciate
what I have. As far as Florida goes, I think I will keep visiting twice a year.
I think you made a wise decision, the grass isn't always greener on the otherside. You know if it is any conciliation, I "hibrinate" for 5-6 months in Florida to avoid the heat/humidity and the sun (I don't want skin cancer issues when I am 40 or 50). This is why I am trying to move to a place with a milder climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida