Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 07:54 AM

8 posts, read 13,142 times

Advertisements

Hello Floridians
I already posted a similar thread in the Miami and Ft Meyers subforums, I want to visit Florida for a couple of months and these 3 places (Miami, Naples and Daytona Beach) have my preference.
I am 18 years old, from the Netherlands, finished high school but not going to college yet this year, want to go travelling instead.
I heard about Daytona Beach, and the wild nightlife, which attracts me. But since I'm probably going by myself, I'll need to get a job to meet people and get contacts. I was wondering if you could help me with this, is it possible for me to get a job in for example hospitality industry in Daytona Beach? And how is the nightlife for an 18 yo, are most people 21+ there or are there also teenagers? And what about places to stay? Hotels?
I hope you can help me, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 08:12 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Benzi View Post
Hello Floridians
I already posted a similar thread in the Miami and Ft Meyers subforums, I want to visit Florida for a couple of months and these 3 places (Miami, Naples and Daytona Beach) have my preference.
I am 18 years old, from the Netherlands, finished high school but not going to college yet this year, want to go travelling instead.
I heard about Daytona Beach, and the wild nightlife, which attracts me. But since I'm probably going by myself, I'll need to get a job to meet people and get contacts. I was wondering if you could help me with this, is it possible for me to get a job in for example hospitality industry in Daytona Beach? And how is the nightlife for an 18 yo, are most people 21+ there or are there also teenagers? And what about places to stay? Hotels?
Except for maybe day labor, I would say it is impossible for you to come here for three months and get a job to finance your trip. I go to the Netherlands now and then by the way. It is one of my favorite places to travel. My wife likes to go for the Tulip festivals.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:09 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Miami or Ft. Lauderdale would be your best choices.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:39 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
Question THINK About It!

You're in luck! I've LIVED in ALL these places -- AND have been to Amsterdam/Holland many times!

First off, the drinking age in the USA is 21. So it will be VERY difficult for you to socialize and meet people in the USA in your age range, even if you work or go to school. The USA and especially Florida are NOT as friendly people as the Hollanders! (Think of Paris, Vienna or Zurich hospitality to outsiders. )

You might be able to receive similar wages working in Mexico, Caribbean or Central/S. America in hospitality resorts as you could in Florida (and may have a better social life UNTIL you turn 21)! Or Cruise Ships or Airlines. There are also resorts such as Club Med that are always hiring, but you will need to test fluent in several languages.

Cities
Miami/Ft Lauderdale will be most fun -- but also most expensive to live in "safe" areas as it can be dangerous like New York in some areas. At your age it would be very difficult because you are underage to meet people at clubs w/ alcohol. You are best advised to travel w/ a companion(s) to share living expenses (and safety). There is good public transportation there.
Naples you will be likely to find "seasonal" work -- you can meet interesting people there passing through town. It will also be expensive and best if you can share expenses as it is unlikely your wages can afford rent easily. There is also NO public transportation there so you will need a car, license and insurance. Otherwise at your age it will be VERY boring and your age will fit "profile" for police for trouble to stop you.
Daytona Beach you could find "seasonal" work. Second for "fun" after Miami, but same problems of being under 21. Cost of living is good that you could find your own place on your wages, but have no stability of long-term employment. There are however, many small universities here with students that you could focus on a social life. There is good public transportation (in specific areas ONLY!)

Options
I would suggest that you seek a position in Holland w/ a multi-national hotel, restaurant or cruise line w/ locations in Florida, Caribbean or Americas. That way you could easily transfer (and sponsor your VISA) to another location of your choice or work as a "guest worker" to get your VISA.

Otherwise, you will be competing with too many Americans in this field presently seeking work and would have much difficulty both obtaining a job and ALSO your new employer petitioning for both your VISA and Green Card (VISA to work).

If you are certain that you are interested in the Hospitality or Restaurant fields, you could research which universities in the USA specialize in these programs for degree study and obtain a student visa. The school you are accepted at would inform you of possible employment opportunites or paid internships in resort areas, of which you would need to research their placement positions/locations BEFORE you accept their degree program. They can also assist you to find safe, local housing.

I know that Florida International University (FIU) and Cornell University are top in these fields in the USA, so you might start there.

Good Luck!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 10-30-2009 at 02:01 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,389 times
Quote:
Hello Floridians
I'm a 22 year old college student in Florida. In Florida, I have lived in Daytona Beach, Orlando, Boca Raton (near Fort Lauderdale, Miami, West Palm Beach).

1. Daytona Beach's nightlife is limited and in my opinon sucks lol.

2. It will be difficult to get a job that will pay you under the table these days. If you do find one, you will be making minimum wage and will be working with people you probably wouldn't want to hang out with anyways.

3. There are night clubs that have 18+ nights, but they usually suck. It would be best to get a fake id in your home country if you really want to experience night life in America. My friend from Hong Kong has one and it works most of the time because they don't know what a real one even looks like.

Additional Advice/Comments:

1. A decent hotel for a couple months will add up fast. Check craigslist.com for short-term rentals. Most apt buildings/condos/homes have pools, gyms etc.

2. You will need to rent a car because everything is spread out and public transportation is almost non-existent.

3. I would choose a central location such as Fort Lauderdale (my recommendation). From here, you can drive to Miami, West Palm Beach and Naples easily. However, I don't know why you are interested in Naples considering you are under 60 years old.

4. If you are traveling by yourself and/or you don't know anyone here and/or you don't have a job and/or you aren't in a school or sport program...you will get bored if you stay here for a couple months. To make it interesting the entire time without having any of the above, you would need to be traveling constantly, which will cost $$$.

5. Once you decide let me know, I know a few clubs here that host 18+ nights and still serve liquor.

6. If you have any other questions, just ask or send me a message if I don't reply here. I attend Florida Atlantic University, if you seem like a normal person and can verify that you are truely you, I'd be happy to show you around for a day or night.

Last edited by Jonotastic; 10-30-2009 at 02:20 AM..

Old 10-31-2009, 01:57 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Hello Floridians
You dont want to visit Miami ; its a very violent major City...it even beats out New York City for crime. Further, I know from having been an 18 year old a long time ago, that you think it is exciting to Bar Hop and experience the rebellious part to living ...but , try to get over this phase in your life asap because youre setting yourself up for alot of trouble and regret ; some which can stay with you for a good part of your life to come. Essentially, anything which American Culture endorses as far as entertainment goes for a young man or young woman...youll be extremely wise to just do the exact opposite . If youre going to put yourself in an envirnoment with alot of undesirables, lowlifes who dont have any vision for their future except to be Nihlists, sexual hedonists who could care less if they pass along an STD (now 33 in quantity) of which many are permanent and which 2 can and does kill .... then you have to expect to pay a price for the temporary 'fun' . And often, that fun comes with a very dear price .

Just some friendly advice that I would bestow on any person of 18 getting ready to explore the darkside of society. Regards, and, good luck.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:20 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
^ uh he was asking for advice about cities he wants to visit not a morality lesson! Besides he's the from the Netherlands which I believe has legalised drugs. Oh and what a gross mischaracterization of Miami! You make it sound like Miami is similar to Baghdad!
As for the cities defiantly Miami & Daytona Beach. Naples is a city for senior citizens who are retired and except for the beach you will bored out of your mind. Try Orlando instead or Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:17 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
You'll love Miami! It's an exciting metropolis and your best bet for the wild nightlife you're looking to find. Naples reminds me of a big shopping mall, throngs of Midwesterners going about their day. Daytona just doesn't register on my list of exciting places. Try Orlando. Maybe Disney will hire you for the busy winter season.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,585 times
Orlando is what I like best

Old 11-01-2009, 06:53 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ uh he was asking for advice about cities he wants to visit not a morality lesson! Besides he's the from the Netherlands which I believe has legalised drugs. Oh and what a gross mischaracterization of Miami! You make it sound like Miami is similar to Baghdad!
Miami is almost off the chart when compared to the National Average for crime per 100,000 people . And my morality lesson was just a little friendly advice thrown in to help him on his way as a new adult visiting America. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 05:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida