Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times

Advertisements

Have any of you, who are unfamiliar with this state, and are looking to move here, had second thoughts after reading about the current wildfires and now a tropical storm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 05:39 PM

217 posts, read 845,036 times
I've had second thoughts after the job my brother thought he had lined up fell through, and then the fires and storms on top of deciding if I want to move jobless and see if I can make it.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:44 PM

460 posts, read 2,343,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixxphyre View Post
I've had second thoughts after the job my brother thought he had lined up fell through, and then the fires and storms on top of deciding if I want to move jobless and see if I can make it.
omg phoenixxphyre, I am sorry about the job! That stinks! Are you still planning on moving?

I will admit, that the fires, and the tropical storm and plus all the other factors mentioned here on this forum have had me awake some nights thinking it all through.
I am still planning on moving down though, but at least I am better prepared now than I ever was before!
Before I found this forum, I did have the "rose-colored glasses view" of Florida, LOL!

Jen

Old 05-11-2007, 05:48 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
Have any of you, who are unfamiliar with this state, and are looking to move here, had second thoughts after reading about the current wildfires and now a tropical storm?

This is the worst year for fires since 1998, its not been typical at all...AND alot of states have fires like this.

As for the tropical storm, it never amounted to anything and fell apart sometime today...we didn't even get rain from it.

If your affraid to move here, let it be more about how hard it can be to get a job depending on the field you work in. Do some research on what the weather is really like here, it can be rough during the summer no doubt, but the winter is wonderful while so much of the states are struggling with shoveling snow, changing tires so they can drive on slippary roads...the list goes on...while they are doing that, I have sunshine, the palm trees swaying, with the sliding doors open to the back yard, nice fresh air, the sound of children playing outside AND the tinkling music of the ice cream truck...

Old 05-11-2007, 06:01 PM

217 posts, read 845,036 times
I'm not sure...My brother thinks I should, but I haven't heard anything from the jobs in my field I did apply to, haven't seen any more come up, and I would hate to move just to end up doing the same kind of jobs I do up here (hotel/cashier, etc).

Add that to my boyfriend deciding he pretty much hates the idea of FL, and I'm starting to waffle on it. Of course he's taking time to 'be on his own' for a bit (not dating around, mind you...seriously just hanging out by himself for awhile to figure out where he wants to go, etc.), so it's not like I lose anything by going, but part of what was exciting about it was I thought he'd want to come with me and at least try it for awhile.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
This is the worst year for fires since 1998, its not been typical at all...AND alot of states have fires like this.

As for the tropical storm, it never amounted to anything and fell apart sometime today...we didn't even get rain from it.

If your affraid to move here, let it be more about how hard it can be to get a job depending on the field you work in. Do some research on what the weather is really like here, it can be rough during the summer no doubt, but the winter is wonderful while so much of the states are struggling with shoveling snow, changing tires so they can drive on slippary roads...the list goes on...while they are doing that, I have sunshine, the palm trees swaying, with the sliding doors open to the back yard, nice fresh air, the sound of children playing outside AND the tinkling music of the ice cream truck...

LOL! Ahhh, that sounds very nice!

As for jobs, I work from home part time and my husband drives over thr road so we are both employed already...

Old 05-11-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixxphyre View Post
I'm not sure...My brother thinks I should, but I haven't heard anything from the jobs in my field I did apply to, haven't seen any more come up, and I would hate to move just to end up doing the same kind of jobs I do up here (hotel/cashier, etc).

Add that to my boyfriend deciding he pretty much hates the idea of FL, and I'm starting to waffle on it. Of course he's taking time to 'be on his own' for a bit (not dating around, mind you...seriously just hanging out by himself for awhile to figure out where he wants to go, etc.), so it's not like I lose anything by going, but part of what was exciting about it was I thought he'd want to come with me and at least try it for awhile.
And he wont give it a try? What are his reasons? Does he want you to just stay there with him?

Old 05-11-2007, 06:12 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,482 times
Default Jobs

There are many service jobs in Fl. especially in Orlando......hotels up the kazoo, you probably could land a job for sure, but the wages here stink
no benefits at some jobs, the weather here sometimes is nice, but in July/Aug
you can fry a egg on the road, even the sand is hot at the beach.

For every 1,000 moving in each day, 2,000 are moving out.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:16 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post

We get fires every year. some years are bad and some good, As far as storms I use to hear stories about them when I was little but the first was Andrew in 1992 and the last few years have been bad. Last year El-Nino was a saving grace but thats why this fire season is so bad. When you live in the swamp you learn to take the good with the bad. As far as the jobs there has been alot of layoffs and the pay is not very good. In the summer things are slow but when the snowbirds flock back things will pick back up. (I hope)

Old 05-11-2007, 06:19 PM

157 posts, read 854,268 times
Nope, I'm heading there soon enough, soon as I practically can
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida