Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:10 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,967,932 times

Advertisements

Interesting graph in the link provided. It shows where FL gets most of it's residents from (NY) and where most Floridians are moving to (NC and GA).

Sunshine State slowdown: Florida faces hard choices as residents flee slump -- OrlandoSentinel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 09:33 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,941,448 times
I among those that feel the end to rapid growth is a very good thing.

The big problem is that good planning takes talent and good talent costs money. So I'm afraid that many parts of Florida won't be able to use this time effectively. It would really be a shame if we are not able to take this time to concentrate on creating sustainable neighborhood concepts, to avoid the sprawl and traffic congestion that is the result of unplanned or poorly planned growth.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:46 AM

Hey Bob, I dont see it as a bad thing either, really.

The only problem I see is the "who" that is leaving and then in turn, those that are replacing them.

If we're losing good, hard-working folks who want a better quality of life for folks that moved to FL on a whim hoping lax laws and warm weather were gonna make their lives peachy, then we have a big problem.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:06 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,941,448 times
I hear ya ComSense, I said to my wife on many occasions that I'm seeing a number of people coming this way that feel if they gotta starve they may as well be warm.

I do think that Florida is a youngish state, and much of the infrastructure that more mature areas take for granted are just now just coming of age here. Years ago I lived in Maryland where you couldn't throw a rock and not have it hit a college or university.

I think it's the quality of the work force that attracts the types of companies that we would all like to see here in Florida. Today the people that do well here are those with an entrepreneurial spirit. I think Florida has a bright future, but then I'm an optimist.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:19 AM

122 posts, read 402,549 times
I can't say that I am surprised. It was on my local news as well just a few days ago and said that my city is "leading the way" in the fall of Florida. I believe it.... the job market where I live has always been terrible and housing is expensive for what the jobs pay here that it's nearly impossible to make a living. I was laid off from my job a year and half ago and lost everything and I am in bankruptcy now and am still without a job! I'm moving out of state at the end of the week to start over. I've got nothing going for me.... there are no IT jobs here, I've got no friends, and most of my family has left this area. It's time for a change. The city I will be moving to has been all over the news lately and it's all been postive I can't wait to move. I'm very excited but I will miss Florida as I have lived here my entire life.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:32 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Hey Bob, I dont see it as a bad thing either, really.

The only problem I see is the "who" that is leaving and then in turn, those that are replacing them.

If we're losing good, hard-working folks who want a better quality of life for folks that moved to FL on a whim hoping lax laws and warm weather were gonna make their lives peachy, then we have a big problem.

ComSense - well said. I hope that Florida can install the infrastructure needed in the growth lull. My fear is that its a big ship thats going to take a long time to turn and either it will suffer so much, or it wont turn in time. Lets hope otherwise - its a beautiful place and I miss it.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJimLay View Post
I can't say that I am surprised. It was on my local news as well just a few days ago and said that my city is "leading the way" in the fall of Florida. I believe it.... the job market where I live has always been terrible and housing is expensive for what the jobs pay here that it's nearly impossible to make a living. I was laid off from my job a year and half ago and lost everything and I am in bankruptcy now and am still without a job! I'm moving out of state at the end of the week to start over. I've got nothing going for me.... there are no IT jobs here, I've got no friends, and most of my family has left this area. It's time for a change. The city I will be moving to has been all over the news lately and it's all been postive I can't wait to move. I'm very excited but I will miss Florida as I have lived here my entire life.
Where you headed?

Sorry to hear about the bankruptcy. Good luck to you.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclown View Post
In my opinion, most people who have lost everything and are leaving FL are the stupid people. Please don't take offense, I'm just being straight forward and honest. A lot of the complaining has come from people who purchased cookie-cutter homes on fake ponds for 350,000-600,000 and can't figure out why they didn't hold their value and I'm pretty sure by now we have all figured out the whole condo issue.

For those who hate it, cut your losses and leave. I bet you can find a nice cabin in the woods of Kentucky and I'm sure you could find a job doing something-I mean Wal-Mart is hiring pretty much anyone now.
I think most people would rather live in the woods of KY in a cabin than a depreciating, foreclosed-infested zero lot lined cookie cutter house in FL.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:26 PM

122 posts, read 402,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Where you headed?

Sorry to hear about the bankruptcy. Good luck to you.
I currently live in Pensacola, FL and am planning on moving to Columbus, OH. I was born just east of it and have family that live there. I've visited there a few times and really enjoyed it and the four seasons. Columbus has also been in the news for:

"best city for rentals"
"best city for finding a job"
"best city for singles"

The city has been growing very rapidly, unlike the other cities in Ohio. Columbus is also the capital of Ohio so there would be a lot of government jobs as well. It's a win win for me... I love it there and can't get over how cheap houses and apartments are compared to Pensacola. I've applied for over 200+ jobs in Pensacola, most of which being outside of my field because there just isn't a IT job market here and it's a smaller city. I've thought about moving to Columbus in the past and sent out my resume to a few companies, maybe 5 or 6 and I got several phone calls for interviews and even had a couple job offers with a salary more than I had in Florida. The main reason why I am picking Columbus is because I do like it and I have family there which is where I can stay until I get on my feet and plus they would be there for emotional support. I'm just trying to build up my courage to leave this coming weekend.... I'm very close to my mom and grandparents and will be very hard to leave a place that I have lived my entire life.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:32 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,134,650 times
I am deeply sorry for anyone who had their home foreclosed or short sold. When we Americans come to think about it, the economy and the down turn is political in nature and not our fault.

We feed the economy and those we elect fill the pockets of the companies who declared bankrupt.
The reverse in home prices is big business's fault. Punishing those of us who try so darn hard just to stay afloat is a tragedy and the middle American is financing the losses of the Mae's and the criminals who stole from us and continue to do so with the help of our elected officials. Shame on all of them. I believe it would be in our best interest to get rid of the politicians by voting them out who put us in this rut. I would love to reduce all of their salaries 50% or more and rate their retirement of productivity not by years in office. We need to vote for someone else.

I bet if the likes of Moe, Larry and Curley were in office things would not be as bad as they are now.... It sounds silly but then again those who we elect and those that our elected officals pick and chose to run the economy of the USA. I believe we Americans are being duped by inexperienced people we elected into office.

Last edited by Synergy1; 11-15-2009 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida