Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,599 times

Advertisements

I also am moving to florida and want to take all my houseplants any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 02:44 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
Just an FYI if you grow roses up north -- don't bother digging them up and bringing them to Florida to plant here unless you're going to keep them in containers. They're on the wrong rootstock for Florida. To do well in Florida, roses need to be grafted to Fortuniana rootstock. Those you've had up north are likely grafted onto Dr. Huey or multiflora rootstock, or on their own roots, and that rootstock just isn't suitable for Florida due to the nematodes in the soil.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,402 times
Default Moving Plants to Florida

Hi, I am also moving to Florida...did you ever find out if you can bring your plants? I too have plants that I got from my Grandfather, as well as plants I have had almost 30 years. Thank you! Ali

Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM

79 posts, read 194,032 times
Yes you can bring your House Plants with you as long as they are not of an Invasive Species which is listed on the Fl Dept of Ag website. If you are in a U-Haul or other type Rental Truck you will need to stop at The Ag Inspection Stations at the entry point. On most occasions you will be waved on through however you may be required to pull to the right and open the Rental Truck or Trailer for a visual inspection. If you look suspicious you may get the X-Ray treatment but that is rare. If you are coming in on I75 you can stop at Exit 1 in Georgia and talk to any Truck Drivers at the Flying J or T/A and ask what the Ag Station in Fl is doing and they can tell you if they have been listening the CB Radio. The same goes for I95 and Exit 1 in St Mary's, Ga at the Wilco.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:32 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesample View Post
Yes you can bring your House Plants with you as long as they are not of an Invasive Species which is listed on the Fl Dept of Ag website. If you are in a U-Haul or other type Rental Truck you will need to stop at The Ag Inspection Stations at the entry point. On most occasions you will be waved on through however you may be required to pull to the right and open the Rental Truck or Trailer for a visual inspection. If you look suspicious you may get the X-Ray treatment but that is rare. If you are coming in on I75 you can stop at Exit 1 in Georgia and talk to any Truck Drivers at the Flying J or T/A and ask what the Ag Station in Fl is doing and they can tell you if they have been listening the CB Radio. The same goes for I95 and Exit 1 in St Mary's, Ga at the Wilco.
I moved down a year ago via I-95 in a U-Haul and did not see any signs indicating that I had to stop for inspection. I'm also pretty sure I didn't outrun any law enforcement vehicles trying to stop me either.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:45 PM

161 posts, read 412,748 times
We moved with a Uhaul, stopped at the AG station, they had us open up and the first thing looking at them were my house plants LOL The officer said thanks , have a nice day.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 PM

199 posts, read 567,946 times
Default Also bringing houseplants

Yay! I will be moving down in a week, and most of my stuff will be on a United Van Lines truck, but my houseplants will be in my Jeep, along with my cats and a few other personal valuables. I will be packing them in cardboard boxes to protect them from getting damaged by shifting cargo. It doesn't sound like they'll draw all that much attention, especially after the posts I've read here. Thanks all!

Old 04-17-2016, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,592 times
I was planning to bring a couple of SC nursery stock myrtles to plant at my new home in polk county fl. but was told that restrictions to prevent bringing insects or fire ants into Florida was the reason. So I will wait to buy safe trees once I get into my house. But the houseplant was allowed in as long as it is kept inside.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,186 times
I live in ky and have several outdoor yucca trees. I take them inside in winter and use grow lights. I’m moving to Florida and was wondering if I can take some with me in my car?

Old 11-01-2018, 11:31 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I moved down a year ago via I-95 in a U-Haul and did not see any signs indicating that I had to stop for inspection. I'm also pretty sure I didn't outrun any law enforcement vehicles trying to stop me either.
I-95 DOES NOT have any Agricultural Inspections........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: