Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:53 PM

20 posts, read 168,650 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Southern Florida within the next month or two. I have heard that you can't bring house plants with you? Is that true if so how do they know you bring them. Is there a link that explains why?

The couple that I have are more sentimental to me two are my grandmothers who passed away several years ago. Two other ones are from other people that have passed away and I would hate to lose the plants since I have had them for so long.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 04:01 PM

460 posts, read 2,337,909 times
This is a very interesting thread! I am now wondering the same thing? I have one spider plant that I was planning on bringing with me too, it was my grandmothers who died many years ago also.
I hope someone can tell us if we are allowed to bring them?

Jen

Old 05-10-2007, 04:02 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,478,555 times
It is probably the moving company that is not allowing. Most moving companies will not transfer guns, ammo, lose change [like in piggie banks], money of any sort, pesticide, flammable liquids or plants.

An individual can bring a plant into Florida

Old 05-10-2007, 04:07 PM

11,366 posts, read 24,324,834 times
When trucks enter Florida they have to go through an agricultural inspection station, with the idea of preventing the introduction of disease and pests. If you transport the plant yourself, you don't have to drive through.

If you need more info, here's where you can find it. http://www.fl-aglaw.com/

Old 05-10-2007, 04:59 PM

20 posts, read 168,650 times
Thanks for your quick response.

So if we are driving a uhaul truck down does it still have to go through the inspection?

Here is a link that I found regarding the houseplants from the above link:

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/plan...g_summary.html

I am not sure on how to make it so you just have to click on it but you can copy and paste it.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:00 PM

460 posts, read 2,337,909 times
Thats good news!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:19 PM

177 posts, read 682,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiedearest View Post
Thanks for your quick response.

So if we are driving a uhaul truck down does it still have to go through the inspection?

Here is a link that I found regarding the houseplants from the above link:

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/plan...g_summary.html

I am not sure on how to make it so you just have to click on it but you can copy and paste it.

I just drove a Uhaul into Florida yesterday and I had to stop. I didn't stop at any scales on the way down as I had a 17' truck. At the agricultural inspection station, the sign says that rental trucks and trailers must stop.
It was quick but I had no plants or anything like that.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:49 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,572,801 times
Default Plants

My neighbor was moving out of Fl. and the movers wouldn't let her put bleach/ammonia on the truck, and she had several plants that they wouldn't let on.......propane of course didn't go. But they did take her fathers rifles
all ten of them. Go figure!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:45 PM

23,521 posts, read 69,925,450 times
The whole ag inspection system is a little nuts. I once asked a state trooper at a Florida Welcome Station about having to stop with a passenger van and cargo trailer. The response was "I don't know." Subsequent questioning elicited "If you don't have any ag. materials, and you've been waved through before, don't stop. If someone pulls you over, explain." Other opinions from different people have been that people travelling east to west are more likely to get stopped, that the illegal migrants try to load up with oranges and move them to sell them, and other odd reponses.

In the past, I've pulled into the stations with a UHaul and been somewhat angrily waved on, with the clear indication "get out of my sight." I've pulled in with van and cargo trailer at a small station, where the inspector looked up from the magazine, smiled, and waved me on.

I'm just reporting my experiences and a known fact or two. I make no judgement on what is correct or lawful.

The whole system did not prevent citrus canker from entering the state via sea freight docked in Miami, but it does keep a bunch of people employed.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:49 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,275,154 times
My sister in law who was driving a F250 brought her African violets with her.

The times I have driven, I was pulling a Uhaul trailor behind my Expodition, or just driving my truck, I never had to stop.

I remember driving into California however and where we drove in they stopped every car, it was a mess. They asked about foods, pets and plants...you can't take ferrets into California or at least you couldn't back then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: