Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:46 PM

23 posts, read 94,194 times

Advertisements

This could be a whole new thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_lover09 View Post
okay i have googled a bit and i have found out that there are many rednecks up in the north, especially in pensacola. but what do you mean by redneck? can someone who lives in the states give a definition of a redneck? because i found many things... are they doing something "bad", do they all have a conservative view or how can i imagine a redneck?
It's a pretty vague term that can encompass good and bad.

Some people use "redneck" when they mean someone who is uncultured, stupid, close-minded and racist.

Some use it to describe people who drink beer, like watching Nascar, and prefer outdoor activities to indoor ones, maybe a little rough around the edges (check out Jeff Foxworthy's "you might be a redneck" standup routine).

Other folks interpret redneck as someone who works hard, has old fashioned morals in the good way (like being gentlemanly, holding open doors, treating women right, helping neighbors and strangers), and prefers outdoor activities. These are often referred to as "good ol' boys".

A negative sub-set of the redneck category would be "white trash". Trashy living conditions, uneducated, ignorant, living off government checks, bad parenting, pretty much the white version of the worst black stereotype you can think of.

Don't even worry about this sort of thing if you're coming here on holiday. Florida has many, many destinations for you to visit. Disney, beaches, little charming towns, Everglades, pine forests, historic districts, nightlife partying, it's all here. Just figure out what you want to do while you're here, what you want to experience, then plan where to go and what to do in order to accomplish that. Most people are friendly and accommodating, I'm confident you will have a wonderful experience.

If you go looking for the bad aspects, you can find them anywhere you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 9,605 times
hey thank you for explaining that all to me! i am sure that i will have fun in florida and i will definitely do a lot of things which i have already thought of...
it's more that i'm also quite interested in the "bad" things, too, that's why i ask... i don't worry about rednecks or i'm not afraid of them... it just interests me. so i have read that pensacola is the "redneck riviera", what is meant by these rednecks? which "definition"fits here?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 AM

228 posts, read 533,445 times
Have you heard of "Larry the Cable Guy"? If not look him up and that will give you a good idea of a redneck (although he is very wealthy).

Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 AM

228 posts, read 533,445 times
Oh yeah one more thing, there is no drink here called "pop". I'm not sure where you are coming from, but if you order a "pop" at a restuarant you are going to get a follow up question, unless of course, your waiter/waitress is from the north.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:07 PM

23 posts, read 94,194 times
I've heard Panama City Beach referred to as the Redneck Riviera, I'm sure this phrase has been applied to many places, usually in jest.

My impression of this phrase is that many people think of it as a fabulous place, when in fact it is not that great. As an example, thousands of young folks from around the country come to Panama City Beach for Spring Break. Panama City Beach is nice, but it's no Riviera.

Both Pensacola and Panama City are great areas, though. Some of the most beautiful beaches you will ever see.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:15 PM

18,924 posts, read 43,225,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_lover09 View Post
okay i have googled a bit and i have found out that there are many rednecks up in the north, especially in pensacola. but what do you mean by redneck? can someone who lives in the states give a definition of a redneck? because i found many things... are they doing something "bad", do they all have a conservative view or how can i imagine a redneck?
Many people in urban south Florida refer to anybody north of Ocala as a "redneck" since it's more rural with smaller cities. Pensacola has a huge gay pride festival every year on the beach, obviously that wouldn't happen if everyone in the city was extremely conservative.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:28 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,822,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
Have you heard of "Larry the Cable Guy"? If not look him up and that will give you a good idea of a redneck (although he is very wealthy).

And a native Floridian, who now lives in Northern GA.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:32 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,786,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
And a native Floridian, who now lives in Northern GA.
He's from Nebraska, lay off the real estate talk.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:22 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,822,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
He's from Nebraska, lay off the real estate talk.

He's from Nebraska?... Ok! I could have sworn he is from Sanford, FL. That's Sanford's claim to fame! When he was small time, he did radio shows in Tampa and Orlando after going to school in WPB. Must have been another Larry the Cable Guy!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,786,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
He's from Nebraska?... Ok! I could have sworn he is from Sanford, FL. That's Sanford's claim to fame! When he was small time, he did radio shows in Tampa and Orlando after going to school in WPB. Must have been another Larry the Cable Guy!
He was a transplant...you know, those people who are all rude? He didn't move to Florida until he was a teenager. He's a funny guy, but I don't think he associates himself as a "Florida cracker" in real life, nor does he portray one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida