Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2007, 10:16 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,199 times

Advertisements

Anyone bothered by the fires, smoke? we are in Delray Beach and for the last
couple of days the smoke in the morning and night has been nasty..I can't
imagine how bad it is for those who live up in northern florida or out west.
Let's all hope and pray we get some RAIN soon.....any other advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 10:19 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
We've had on and off smoke outside here in Port Charlotte, at times pretty bad.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:44 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,282,442 times
The other morning here in Kissimmee I saw these huge black clouds coming our way and thought it was a thunderstorm but it was smoke! For the last few days it has been pretty good but on Tuesday and Wednesday it was unbearable! Has anyone had any health problems act up because of the smoke (allergies, asthma etc.)?

Old 05-12-2007, 11:26 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Here is the daily report of the Florida fires.

http://www.fl-dof.com/wildfire2007/daily_report.html

Old 05-12-2007, 07:09 PM

262 posts, read 937,770 times
St. Petersburg was smoky today, but the air was really disgusting yesterday. Looked as if I had snow flakes on my car, but it was ash. Ick.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 46,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
Anyone bothered by the fires, smoke? we are in Delray Beach and for the last
couple of days the smoke in the morning and night has been nasty..I can't
imagine how bad it is for those who live up in northern florida or out west.
Let's all hope and pray we get some RAIN soon.....any other advice?

I live in Lake City FL, about 15 miles or so away from the fire and I can tell you its horrible here. We havent left our house in days because the little girls I live with have very bad allergies and cannot inhale the smoke. On Thursday, the smoke was so bad that at 3 o'clock it looked like it was night time here. I wish it would rain, it would really help out the fire fighters trying to save the land and peoples houses.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:42 PM

467 posts, read 1,489,199 times
Let's all hope for rain real soon...I hope all of you with problems are doing
ok until the firemen get this under control....They are my heroes always out
there working in the hot weather and humidity we have here to stop these
fires...God Bless, stay well.......

Old 05-12-2007, 09:58 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
FIRE OVERVIEW
• New wildfires for May 12, 2007 (as of 5:00 pm EST): 27 new fires on 838 acres
• Total active fires: 195 Acres: 165,443
• Since January 1st: 1,992 wildfires on 314,856 acres
• Red Flag Warnings: Leon, Jefferson, Hamilton, Suwannee, Columbia and Gilchrist Counties

Bugaboo Fire –
The Bugaboo Fire originated on Bugaboo Island in the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge. Bugaboo Fire is being managed under a unified command with the U.S Forest Service Blue Incident Management Team. Mandatory evacuations have taken place in Deep Creek on both sides of Highway 441 from Interstate Highway 10 to the Florida state line. Residents of the Community of Taylor (evacuated on May 8th) have been allowed to return to their homes. Crawler tractors are plowing 5 – 7 miles of firebreaks each day in an effort to envelop the fire’s entire 35-45 mile (Florida) perimeter. Nine outbuildings have been destroyed and one outbuilding damaged. Media briefings are being held at the Day’s Inn on Highway 441south of the I-10 & Hwy 441 interchange. Information Officers: C.J. Norvell (918/ 647-6411), Annaleasa Winter (904/705-3931) & Timber Weller (386/ 503-7351). Cause: lightning

Dairy Road Fire –
The Dairy Road Fire is in Bradford County. Two other fires (2 Bucks Fire and the Blanding Fire) merged with Dairy Road Fire. Total is presently at 15,110 acres. On May 8th, one residence was damaged and two outbuildings were destroyed. Cause: lightning.

Balsa Fire –
The 18,027-acre Balsa Fire is in Collier County about 12 miles east of Naples. On May 8th, 12 residences at 54th Avenue and Lee Williams Road were evacuated. Three homes and three outbuildings were destroyed. Cause: lightning.

Deland Complex –
The Deland Complex is composed of three fires – the 6,800-acre WF Airport Road Fire in Flagler County (65% contained), the 850-acre Red Oak Fire in Lake County (95% contained) and the 2,600-acre Lee Fire in Lake County (55% contained). This complex has been managed by the Division of Forestry’s Blue Incident Management Team since May 4th. Information Officer: Ludie Ehlers (Cell: 352/ 258-6084). Two outbuildings were destroyed on the Red Oak Fire. Causes: under investigation.

Middle of Nowhere Fire -
The 4,600–acre Middle of Nowhere Fire started on May 3rd in Charlotte County. General location is off Highway 31 behind Fire Station #9. Fire is in cypress swamp with heavy fuel. No immediate threat to structures. Cause: lightning.

Mother's Day Fire –
The Mother’s Day Fire started on May 12th in Escambia County. Location is South Highway 90 and Hurst Hammock area. Three air tankers were called in to protect a subdivision about 1 mile distant. Cause: under investigation.

FIRE WEATHER OUTLOOK (Dr. Deborah Hanley)
Saturday: Dry conditions will continue for one more day with Red Flag conditions possible across the Big Bend. Winds are expected to be lighter today and the remnants of Andrea continue to move northeastward and dissipate. Higher moisture levels and sea breezes will lead to a higher chance of scattered showers and storms this afternoon. Watch for wind changes with the sea breezes.
SMOKE IMPACTS: Decreasing winds and increasing moisture will lead to formation of fog and accumulation of smoke on roadways and in drainages during the next several days.

Saturday night: Winds will be mostly light with good humidity recovery.

Extended Forecast: A weak cold front will push into the state Sunday afternoon and bring higher chances for rain and keep RH above critical levels. Dry air will push in behind this front and bring drier conditions for the early part of next week but at this no critical moisture levels are expected. Another front is expected by the end of the week and may bring another good chance for rain

Old 05-13-2007, 05:45 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,078 times
Live in Bradenton, very smoky on some days, ash on the car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida