Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,310,414 times

Advertisements

[quote=ComSense;11461949]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Not true. When ranked nationally, the Florida cities that crack the top 100 or so safest places in America are cities located in "southern" Florida, such as Port St. Lucie, Coral Springs, Pembroke Pines, Boca and Davie, Coral Springs, etc. It's probably because the houses are empty, lol. Also the cities you mentioned are overall pretty nice areas. S FL has nice wealthy areas and then BAM! Crappy areas right around the corner. Even Hialeah outranks Tallahassee and Jacksonville: Well, Tally and Jax have a very high AA population, and crime tends to be higher in cities with high AA populations.

http://www.cqpress.com/docs/City%203...Safest_14E.pdf

Indeed, Europe, with its godless society, is in general far safer in terms of violent crime as well, as is Canada. Per capita, I also have more of a chance of being victimized in god-fearing Dallas Texas than where I now live.

North Florida may have more "small towns" but its large towns (which would make the safest lists) do not bear the "more safe than S. Florida" list. Maybe Jacksonville compared to Miami, sure. It's a common theme, however, when people's PERCEPTIONS do not match STATISTICAL REALITY. Stats aside, most people will rely on real life encounters and I'd be willing to bet most people would take their chances in Jax over Miami, and panhandle cities over similar sized S FL cities.
Rationalize it anyway you want. Port St. Lucie is a working class city. Pembroke Pines is a middle class city, and Davie often has a reputation for being rednecky.

Miami IS statistically worse than Jacksonville.... but the fact that people are "willing to take their chances" in similarly sized N. Florida cities compared to S. Florida cities in the face of contradictory statistics just shows that people rely too much on rumor mill and commonly held misconceptions.

Maybe some people fee better when getting car jacked if the perpetrator says, "y'all have a nice day now" afterwards Moderator cut: English Only Please

Last edited by doggiebus; 11-03-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 09:43 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,247,041 times
poverty + lack of education = crime.

easy as that.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:49 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,732,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
What do you think the reason is?
It's not quite as complicated as people like to think. Crime is a profession. Crime is easy to get away with. Once someone commits a successful crime it is easier to do it again. After a while they look at other people who work for a living as suckers. They also don't really have great ambitions and live basically from day to day like most working people. Most I have know also suffered from "Easy come easy go". They will blow all their money at the race track like it has no value, because it doesn't, not to them. They will just go and just steal some more.

Pretty tough to go get a $15.00 an hour job when you have walked around with thousands in your pockets. Criminals also have to go to the best place to commit crime and Florida is one of the best. Even the weather is good. As I have mentioned in the past, I owned a somewhat "wise guy" bar near the Hollywood dog track.

I knew all kinds of criminals and as I said in the beginning, to most it is just a job. It beats getting up in the morning and punching a clock. You may also be surprised how many later do go straight. Not all throw away the money or plan on making a career of it. One of the largest (not saying what) dealerships in south Florida was started with seed capital from a drug deal. He just took one kind of risky shot, mainly due to the people he was dealing with and hasn't to my knowledge broken the law since. He is now a rich respected local businessman.

For the most part criminals are not going away. Like everything in life it is risk and reward. They are willing to take the risks. I dare say being a cop, working construction or even working in a convenience store is a risker job then being a criminal in most cases.
To put it simply, crime is an easy profession to be successful at, for a while anyway. Once someone starts it is pretty hard to reform them. Let some kid steal a car, dump it off at a chop shop and collect maybe $300.00 for like an hours work and see how interested he is in working for McDonald's now. Easy money is a powerful addiction, worse then any drug. Just look at the thieves on Wall Street.

Last edited by mango23; 11-03-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 10:53 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,845,368 times
FL is transient and attracts criminals who are hiding out or trying to run from the law it seems. I've never seen so many cases of fraud in my life either.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:54 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,310,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ I didnt miss your point. I just noticed a common thread in your last 3 posts, all referring to "God fearing people" and "rednecks." It was an obvious jab was it not?
No. You missed the point.

In my first post, I was responding to someone who explained crime as "people moving away from God," by showing him that areas known for their "godliness" are not necessarily good.

Then I mentioned Davie's reputation for being rednecky, in response to YOUR post and assertion that all the cities in S. Florida that made safest list are upscale. I made no judgment call on Davie other than to say it had the reputation, and did not otherwise deride it for being a bad area.

So, that being said, what is the "obvious jab?" Your sensitivity to defense of rednecks and religious people, whilst constantly bringing up other minorities to explain problems, reminds me of a certain poster we used to have here under multiple screen names. Are you the latest incarnation?

Old 11-03-2009, 01:43 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,813,454 times
Quote:
Could be arong. Like I said, Jax has a very high AA population, thus high crime. It is what it is.
Explain why cities like Lauderhill and Miramar are safer than JAX, which are located in South Florida and have even higher black populations.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No. You missed the point.

In my first post, I was responding to someone who explained crime as "people moving away from God," by showing him that areas known for their "godliness" are not necessarily good.

Then I mentioned Davie's reputation for being rednecky, in response to YOUR post and assertion that all the cities in S. Florida that made safest list are upscale. I made no judgment call on Davie other than to say it had the reputation, and did not otherwise deride it for being a bad area.

So, that being said, what is the "obvious jab?" Your sensitivity to defense of rednecks and religious people, whilst constantly bringing up other minorities to explain problems, reminds me of a certain poster we used to have here under multiple screen names. Are you the latest incarnation?
Ok, my bad. I honestly didn't see (what I put in bold) had been said in an earlier post.

Regarding Davie, I realize it isnt upscale. My point was that many of the cities that you mentioned are nice areas and more "upscale." Like I siad, I agree, those areas are nicer than many of the other S FL cities. So I'm not sure what the problem is.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:46 PM

^^^ It could be for numerous reasons. I never said JAX should be the role model for other cities. It's well known that Jax has high crime - why would I be suprised Jax may have more crime than Lauderhill or Miramar?

Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,813,454 times
Quote:
^^^ It could be for numerous reasons. I never said JAX should be the role model for other cities. It's well known that Jax has high crime - why would I be suprised Jax may have more crime than Lauderhill or Miramar?
It should be "surprsing" because Lauderhill and Miramar are mostly black and don't even have great reputations in South FL, while JAX is mostly white, but you used the large AA population as the excuse for high crime in Jax. I personally think it's a generational thing, because a lot of the black people in the former are West Indian and middle class in the latter. I was just curious about your point of view.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:00 PM

Jax's AA population is roughly 1/3 of the population.

Jax is also much larger.

It is also very well known which sections of Jax are the bad ones, and who lives there. Like I said, it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida