U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whcih city (area) is the best to live?
Tampa - St Petersburg area 10 41.67%
Orlando 7 29.17%
West Palm Beach 5 20.83%
Cape Coral - fort Myers 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:12 AM

3,721 posts, read 4,626,657 times

Advertisements

Hi! im getting really confused because i want to move ot florida next year but dont know which city in florida would be best.
Originally i wanted to move to Miami but i cant spek spanish so i decided to forget about it. Right now im considering Orlando, West palm beach, Tampa area and cape coral.
Where would you rather live? im a travel agent so tourism industry is important. I want a city with nice downtown, nice new suburbs and a city that also have some older homes in good condition. At the moment i like Orlando best because it has it all.
I've heard that St Petersburg and Tampa have a lot of run down areas so im not sure about them. Cape coral - dont know much about it but it has a lot of new homes which i like and beautiful canals. And finally West palm beach is a mistery for me, dont know much of the area lol
Help me choose!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 AM

6,853 posts, read 20,498,179 times
The best thing to do is spend 2-3 weeks here traveling to each of these cities. Everyone of us has a different opinion and what one likes you may not. So come and visit and decide for yourself, because only you know what you prefer. If you come in the winter months it will have the most people as the snowbirds are down.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:28 PM

4,192 posts, read 10,662,344 times
Orlando has a lot of new suburban communities, a nice down town, older well established suburbs with older elegant homes, a huge tourism, technology and medical industry, and only 45 mins away from NASA and the beaches.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:55 PM

2,161 posts, read 4,543,891 times
Orlando is the least run down of the areas mentioned...at least from what I have seen of them. There is more "new" here than those other areas. That said, we still have a boatload of crime that seeps into these areas no matter where you live. Understand this about every major city in Florida...there is and will be crime, but you do what you can to avoid those areas.

Orlando has the 2nd best downtown in Florida behind Miami. That is my opinion based on time spent in every major city here...I'm sure others will disagree. It is small by big city standards, but very walkable with a lot of bars, a nice lake park, restaurants, library, movie theater, grocery store, nice new condos, and some other stuff. Lots of bums though, unfortunately. Overall, I think it has a brighter future than Tampa and WPB.

I wouldn't even consider WPB to be honest. If I were going South Florida, I'd choose Delray Beach over WPB. Central Florida...Orlando. If you can get down here a visit would tell you all you need to know because most of the negatives are the same between these cities...however the positives are more subjective and you will gravitate toward one vs the other.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:02 PM

3,721 posts, read 4,626,657 times
i think i like Orlando and Cape coral- fort myers the most at the moment.
I know that fort myeers isnt run down and its gorwing rapidly so tahats good, but economy sucks there so i dont know ;P its hard to choose

Old 11-11-2009, 03:00 PM

292 posts, read 492,054 times
I like Tampa.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:54 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,448,591 times
As long as you stay in a good neighborhood I would choose Orlando as it has many of things you're looking for.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:13 PM

326 posts, read 1,073,887 times
all those places except cape coral has run down poorer areas of the cities. cape coral is also the smallest of the cities. I know that west palm southside neighborhood and south tampa has an old historic neighborhoods where their are older homes still kept in good condition. i'm not sure if orlando has one but thats because i've never herd or seen of it. but if your looking for tourism that orlando will most likely give you buisness.

By the way you don't need spanish to live in Miami it's an ignorant assumption by people.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:39 AM

2,161 posts, read 4,543,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
all those places except cape coral has run down poorer areas of the cities. cape coral is also the smallest of the cities. I know that west palm southside neighborhood and south tampa has an old historic neighborhoods where their are older homes still kept in good condition. i'm not sure if orlando has one but thats because i've never herd or seen of it. but if your looking for tourism that orlando will most likely give you buisness.

By the way you don't need spanish to live in Miami it's an ignorant assumption by people.
Yep, we have them too. Thornton Park and College Park are historic areas of Orlando that have brick streets shaded by beautiful spanish moss trees and many wonderful old Florida homes. I think these two areas have more charm than most in Florida. Winter Park also has many areas like this. Many people do not see this side of Orlando.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:15 AM

128 posts, read 173,880 times
Orlando is ok at best I grew up there the burbs are not bad its the tourist the traffic will kill you.

Tampa is dirty not nice stay away .

Cape Coral is nice just to hot everywhere here thats all .

Florida is over priced by far and just listed in th top 3 worst places to live .

Hot - crime - old people who most times are pretty pissed off about what I dont know .

Ten most troubled states in the U.S.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ten-most-troubled-states-in-cnnm-2889165804.html?x=0&.v=7 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or