Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 07:05 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
There seem to be less of them in my area this year than in prior swarming seasons- I live in Flagler County and there's been a wild fire burning about 15 miles from here for the last 2 1/2 weeks. I wonder if the smoke might have dones some damage to their larvae.

I also remember a rumor about lovebugs- that they were a Univ of Florida experiment that escaped????? I don't believe it's true but wondered if anyone else had heard that.
This link explains them a little and the rumor question for you http://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/lovebugs.asp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 09:07 PM

942 posts, read 2,583,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
This link explains them a little and the rumor question for you http://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/lovebugs.asp
Informative article...thanks!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 11:13 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
Informative article...thanks!!!
Your welcome, that site is also good for checking other rumers too.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:50 PM

374 posts, read 1,629,175 times
There not so bad in PSL so far this year. We live in the NW area of town closer to US 1 Not a bug to be found yet. How is it out by TRADITION in SW PSL??? Nasty little critters..

Old 04-05-2008, 03:35 PM

479 posts, read 1,455,738 times
We had some earlier this week in Central FL -- I think the timing is off because we usually have them in May and September. Guess we had a few early birds. Of course it's been hot enough for them to THINK it's May.

Anybody have any idea why they seem to like gas fumes? We see them all over the roads and last year when I was mowing the yard they would descend upon me like crazy.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:38 PM

20 posts, read 97,461 times
Funny thing, when we first moved here my son was 3 years old. He did not care to speak much unless it was really important. One day, he YELLED out in a mall, "Mommy, do you know why they call love bugs love bugs?". I said "I guess because they love each other". He said "No silly, they hug using their botty. If only they had hands!".

Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 PM

189 posts, read 564,502 times
ha.ha. i remember love bugs when i lived in fl. many years. i now live in spearfish,sd we have box elder bugs...almost as bad. pejuta

Old 04-18-2008, 04:23 PM

20 posts, read 175,325 times
live in ocala and haven't seen any yet

Old 04-19-2008, 11:08 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
We had some earlier this week in Central FL -- I think the timing is off because we usually have them in May and September. Guess we had a few early birds. Of course it's been hot enough for them to THINK it's May.

Anybody have any idea why they seem to like gas fumes? We see them all over the roads and last year when I was mowing the yard they would descend upon me like crazy.

They are attracted to carbon dioxide gas, one reason you can go outside and see none then in a min or so they are swarming around you. Certain flowers attract them also.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:24 AM

10 posts, read 38,183 times
Sorry to say this but the lovebug is here to stay.. I lived in South/Central Florida from 1984-1999 and lived thru my share of lovebugs.. sweeping thousands and thousands of them off my porch.. having the front of my car ruined from them.. They are annoying as all get out and really dont serve any purpose what so ever.. If my memory serves me right they have 2 or 3 times a year when they appear during the summer months.. All I can say is not much anyone can do about getting rid of them.. They will be back year after year.. I live in Louisiana now.. and we get them too, but not even half as bad as ya'll do in Florida.. I might see a dozen a year here if that.. Just keep your broom handy, the front of your car cleaned off (the acid from their bodies will eat the paint off your car).. Good Luck..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida