U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2007, 05:14 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,902,129 times

Advertisements

which is the better school?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 06:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,650,594 times
Well, it depends on what's right for you. What do you want to study?
Have you perused StudentsReview.com and read the comments there?
The rivalry between the two schools reminds me a lot of the CSU/CU feud in Colorado.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 AM

6,853 posts, read 21,007,373 times
I went to one of the schools and turned down the other. They are both good schools. It all depends on what you want to study? They don't offer the exact same majors. They both have that great typically college experience.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:47 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,745,636 times
University of Florida probably has a little higher acceptance standards. It has a prestigious architect school, law school, and medical school, among some other highly prized colleges. UofF is more "big city" than FSU - which tends to be a little more southern.

However, I'd agree with what the others have said. What do you think you want to major in? Once you answer that question, if you are choosing strictly based on your education then you will have answered your own question.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:16 PM

20 posts, read 80,307 times
everyone is completely right when it comes to what you are studying and what you are looking for from a school. i went to uf and turned down fsu. i am happy i did! it was also nice to be not too far from home if i wanted to visit from time to time. good luck and i know it's a lot harder to get into uf these days!

Old 05-14-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmandal View Post
i know it's a lot harder to get into uf these days!
I don't think it's a *lot* harder to get into UF than FSU; and some people do get into both and might not choose UF. Both schools have a fairly decent, competitive crop of freshmen this year. Both UF and FSU are flagship universities of Florida, but UF does seem to have an edge in prestige or whatever you want to call it.
What really matters is what the student wants to study.
There was a bit of a shakeup in some of UF's departments this year:
University of Florida Five Year Plan

Old 05-14-2007, 01:12 PM

20 posts, read 80,307 times
i don't agree with that. even back in 1994 when i had a gpa of 3.75 in high school, i heard back from fsu in a few weeks. it was down to the wire with uf because they start with students with over a 4.0 and go from there. i went to early summer school right after graduation to make sure i got in. that use to be an option, but i'm not sure now. it's not a bad idea either since the fl schools require summer class credit for graduation. most people don't know that until after they start.

besides sat and act scores, uf now has an entrance exam that is no joke from what i hear from friends. glad i missed that!

Old 05-14-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmandal View Post
i don't agree with that. even back in 1994 when i had a gpa of 3.75 in high school, i heard back from fsu in a few weeks. it was down to the wire with uf because they start with students with over a 4.0 and go from there. i went to early summer school right after graduation to make sure i got in. that use to be an option, but i'm not sure now. it's not a bad idea either since the fl schools require summer class credit for graduation. most people don't know that until after they start.

besides sat and act scores, uf now has an entrance exam that is no joke from what i hear from friends. glad i missed that!
Is the entrance exam for freshmen? Or students looking at grad school?
Our experiences are from this year. This year they had the highest amount ever of kids applying. Here are the UF's requirements listed for freshmen:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Graduation from a regionally accredited or state-approved secondary school or the equivalent (G.E.D., etc.).
* Fifteen academic units, distributed as follows:
English (with substantial writing) 4 years
Mathematics (Algebra 1, Formal Geometry, Algebra 2) 3 years
Natural Sciences (two units must include laboratory) 3 years
Social Sciences 3 years
Foreign Language (must be sequential) 2 years

* A cumulative C average in the academic core, as computed by the university, at all institutions attended, high school and college.
* A record of good conduct. Major or continuing difficulty with school or other officials may render an applicant ineligible regardless of academic qualifications.
* A combined score of at least 950 on the critical reading and mathematical reasoning sections of the SAT with a minimum score of 440 on each. At this time, the university will not consider the new writing component (multiple choice grammar and usage questions and the written essay) in its admissions process.
* On the ACT with writing test, a composite score of 19 is required with a minimum of 17 on the English subsection, a minimum of 19 on the math subsection and a minimum of 18 on the reading subsection.
* All applicants must submit the SAT or the ACT with writing test. While UF cannot mix scores from old and new tests, the university will accept the highest subscores from the new SAT if you took the new test multiple times. The university cannot mix or combine any ACT subscores.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FSU:
Required High School Course Units

* 4 units of English (at least three with substantial writing requirements)
* 3 units of mathematics (Algebra I level and higher)
* 3 units of natural science (at least two with laboratory)
* 3 units of social science
* 2 sequential units of the same foreign language
* 3 elective units, preferably from English, mathematics, natural science, social science, and/or foreign language areas

The units listed above represent the minimum required for admission consideration. The typical student coming to FSU has 5 units of English, 4.5 units of math, 3.5 units of natural science, 4.5 units of social science, and 4.5 units of foreign language.
ACT/SAT Information

* While the writing component of the ACT and/or SAT is required, FSU does not currently use it as part of the total composite/score.
* Applicants may take both exams, since FSU uses the best composite/total score for admission purposes.
* Applicants may take each exam more than once, since FSU uses the highest subscores to create the ACT composite and SAT total (critical reading plus math).
* In addition to the applicant's overall composite on the ACT or total score (critical reading plus math) on the SAT, FSU has minimum subscores for each exam: writing -- 19 on the ACT English or 480 on the SAT critical reading; math -- 21 on the ACT math or 470 on the SAT math; and reading -- 19 on the ACT reading or 440 on the SAT critical reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I said, I don't think the requirements for each school seem *drastically* different. It really depends on what the student wants to study.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:35 PM

63 posts, read 245,821 times
U.F. Gainesville!

Old 05-14-2007, 03:37 PM

6,853 posts, read 21,007,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I don't think it's a *lot* harder to get into UF than FSU; and some people do get into both and might not choose UF. Both schools have a fairly decent, competitive crop of freshmen this year. Both UF and FSU are flagship universities of Florida, but UF does seem to have an edge in prestige or whatever you want to call it.
What really matters is what the student wants to study.
There was a bit of a shakeup in some of UF's departments this year:
University of Florida Five Year Plan
I turned UF down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: