Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:56 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,506,519 times

Advertisements

We want to sell asap a get out of Fl. I need some positive input please.Hubby keeps on showing me homes in NC but I fear putting our home on sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 11:01 AM

612 posts, read 2,770,335 times
I recently sold my main home in Tampa and got a contract on it in a little over a month. Of course, the buyers had some credit issues and it took another three months to close but there are buyers out there.

Good luck, I am so happy we moved to Georgia.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:02 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,049,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
We want to sell asap a get out of Fl. I need some positive input please.Hubby keeps on showing me homes in NC but I fear putting our home on sale.
a clean house will definitely make an impression. Land scaping is a nice plus.
keep the minimum furniture and others in house. pricewise: put yourself in the buyer's shoe and draw a negotiable range.
Best of luck.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:07 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,476,147 times
Things are not looking all that great for lived-in home sales right now. You would be entering an overstaturated market. As a current "potential" buyer, things like landscaping, care of roof, hurricane shutters, condition of gutters, age of windows, etc all play a big role in what we are looking at. A home filled with clutter is almost always looked over for us b/c it is too hard to "see". You are going to need to be original to get buyers & go in under market price. It's funny how many people are moving to NC. I wonder what NC is going to be like in 10 yrs...Good luck.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:24 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,184,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Things are not looking all that great for lived-in home sales right now. You would be entering an overstaturated market. As a current "potential" buyer, things like landscaping, care of roof, hurricane shutters, condition of gutters, age of windows, etc all play a big role in what we are looking at. A home filled with clutter is almost always looked over for us b/c it is too hard to "see". You are going to need to be original to get buyers & go in under market price. It's funny how many people are moving to NC. I wonder what NC is going to be like in 10 yrs...Good luck.
the old real estate saying

if you're in a good place your chance of selling are good, if you're in a marginal location, or a place that overbuilt, you might have a problem selling.
In areas with good demand because of low crime, good employment prospects, close to a nice beach, or not over crowded, those places are holding most of their values

Old 05-14-2007, 11:50 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,946,312 times
nort carolina, south carolina, tennesse and georgia are turning into florida...people are already complaining about all the new yorkers, traffic, crime and cost of living...in a few years it will be just as bad as most of florida has become...maybe florida will become paradise again after we unload everyone to the carolinas, etc

Old 05-14-2007, 11:52 AM

7 posts, read 20,895 times
What had happened in Florida? Why did it get bad?

Old 05-14-2007, 11:55 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,049,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leese View Post
What had happened in Florida? Why did it get bad?

... ...someone is asleep

Old 05-14-2007, 12:12 PM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
the old real estate saying

if you're in a good place your chance of selling are good, if you're in a marginal location, or a place that overbuilt, you might have a problem selling.
In areas with good demand because of low crime, good employment prospects, close to a nice beach, or not over crowded, those places are holding most of their values
Exactly. A lot of places in Florida are holding their values, and sales are being made. For the most part these are markets that weren't going crazy-insane in the first place, basically South Florida is probably slowest right now, but even then it depends what the competition is.

I myself am hoping to put my home up around the fall - there is really no competition for my type home it will appeal to a niche-type buyer, so the down market will not affect me as much. Also, the market I am looking to buy in is also doing fairly well, albeit a little slower than before.

Bottom line, be positive - set your price realistically, and make sure all those small repairs are done and everything looks neat and clean. Give the outside some curb appeal if it needs it - pressure-wash or paint, and spruce up your landscaping - you would be surprised how much this matters. Good luck to you on your sale!

Regarding the posts on NC - sorry, but it is a LONG, LONG way from "turning into Florida." This is a big state, with a few large cities, and everything else is tiny towns. We bought our second home in Asheville, the largest town in WNC - people talk about traffic there and I almost have to laugh - there is NO traffic compared to what we're used to in the Tampa Bay area. NC has hundreds of thousands of acres of beautiful unspoiled land, and while, like the locals, I don't want to see it get spoiled, it would take decades for that to happen. Besides, not everyone fleeing Florida, Cali, or the NE are going to NC - there are plenty of other nice states out there getting new transplants.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:12 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,312,203 times
price yourself competively.I constantly stayed 10 to 20k below my competition.I then negotiated below my listing price.I fixed anything that needed repairing,cleaned up and even some remodeling.Yet I didn't go over board.I changed some bedroom carpet,got leftovers from a carpet place yet still new.I remodeled a bathroom because it was in bad shape yet bargained at Home Depot for the supplies.I hired a painter and he changed any bad wood on the outside at the same time.

I boxed away all that I could and put it in closets to make the house clutter free as possible and keep any stuff from being broken or lost.With everything secure realtors brought people by when I wasn't home and I didn't worry.

Forget about open house on weekends,your neighbors will have open house and their traffic will see your house,and if they are serious about buying they'll make a appointment.Weekends are precious I see no reason to waste it on a open house.Be ready for lowball offers,be ready to possibly wait a while for a serious offer.

After all that I did I had alot of people look at it yet it took 11 months to sell.And unless you have the time to market yourself and are in a location that is very desirable with alot of people able to see your sign,I suggest using a realtor and getting on the MLS.

Also,alot of the simple things I did by myself had the most impact on making my house look better.I stained the patio terrcotta,planted nice colorful plants,re-blackened the driveway,ALOT OF CLEANING.painted the garage floor grey.Bargain priced window blinds,bargain priced ceiling fans.Bargain priced but all new.

Now,I didn't have central AC in my house,I spent close to 10k having it installed.But besides that,doing all that I said plus painting the whole interior,hiring a handyman to fix various things,buying all new appliances...again bargain ones I spent around 7000k(besides the AC) making the house look real good.My neighbor with the same style house spent 40k redoing everything,,the windows,tile thru out,kitchen,painting...and spent on high end products which really the house was already in good condition,she went overboard and has been on the market before me and is still for sale.Because one,some people dont like the style of how she remodeled and also she refuses to come down enough on the price.

One more thing,I smoke,but from the moment I decided to sell,I never smoked inside again.Plug in air fresheners were always in use also.Painting and carpet,go neutral colors.

At the very end I had 2 serious offers,one was 7k more then the other.I made a contract with the lower offer because they were of good credit and pre approved,they were a more solid buyer.I could have taken a chance with the other but then I might have not sold,and had to lower my price even further months latter.Figuire out what you can minimally walk away with after all expenses and be happy and go for it.

Last edited by lionking; 05-14-2007 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida