Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:20 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
your child will do as well as you the parent allows them too....I know this 1st hand, as my child coming to NC was extremely behind from NJ, with this in mind she is playing catch up and had to be Retained back to 3rd grade, However with my assistance with the school and the teacher we are as a team, helping her and let me say she is doing awesome.....Basically your child is your responisbilty especially in learning, and if your not there for them they wont excel anywhere....Trust me thre are worst schools than Florida, in this country and plenty of kids going to college and trying to be sucessful...and who's to say that certain children will do extremely well in "an Excellent School" u cant just send your kids to school and expect to doing else to help them...

This is a pretty convenient opinion if your kid happens to go to a school where there are absolutely no inadequate supplies, teachers who don't know how to use the technology, peers who bully, or any of a host of things that aren't under even a good parent's control. It also works if your child has no learning issues-- and even an extremely bright, motivated child may have learning disabilities, or ADHD, or a physical exceptionality.
It also gives undue credit to parents who may be complete dolts, but have motivated children (or kids who are lucky enough to get that truly amazing teacher who can work wonders with a box of rocks).

As for "Trust me thre are worst schools than Florida"...well, okay, that's rather damning with faint praise, isn't it? Kind of like the old saw, "thank God for Mississippi and Louisiana"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 06:22 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite

As for "Trust me thre are worst schools than Florida"...well, okay, that's rather damning with faint praise, isn't it? Kind of like the old saw, "thank God for Mississippi and Louisiana"?

Well, "not all of Florida, one of the largest states population wise is the same" doesn't seem to convince when people make blanket statements like, "schools in Florida suck"...... so why demand anything other than, "There's worse out there?"

Old 03-17-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, "not all of Florida, one of the largest states population wise is the same" doesn't seem to convince when people make blanket statements like, "schools in Florida suck"...... so why demand anything other than, "There's worse out there?"
I'm not "demanding" a thing. I'm agreeing. Yeah, there are worse schools than the ones here.

I don't see the fact that we're not the absolute dead last to be cause for celebration, though. It's appalling that Florida can't even manage to break into the top 2/3.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:42 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I'm not "demanding" a thing. I'm agreeing. Yeah, there are worse schools than the ones here.

I don't see the fact that we're not the absolute dead last to be cause for celebration, though. It's appalling that Florida can't even manage to break into the top 2/3.
and these florida kids who are now grown ups who are Doctors, atty's business professionals are all stupid???

considering I have friends that graduated from Florida Colleges who do extremely well for themselves and guess what??? THEY actually went to School in Florida, yes public school.....let me add since u have no clue of my daughters learning ability or disability, we were in good schools back home, and THEY FAILED my child because they said she didnt need certain things when actually she did and she has paid the price for it, however Had I NOT been involved and gave her extra tutoring outside of school she would be worse off....she is going back to an elem school here that WE PULLED her from because they have NO services for her, do here me bashing the schools here?? NOT.....there are a TON of parents who live where I live who are not happy with the school for not being able t help their child.....bottom line is again stay active with your children and if u have to provide them with extra learning then do so...lord knows we dont have the money for all these tutors but we find it, because its what she needs...problem with my dd is she isnt special needs, she just learns slower than the other children, and its takes it little bit longer to get it...although she is doing beautiful this year we are very proud....There are worst schools than Florida, just like there are schools here and up north aren't good...People thought we were CRAZY for moving here as everyone said OH THE SCHOOLS SUCK....oh yada yada, on the contrary because we did our homework, and research for so long before moving our schools here are excellent, considering Ive been told well they are NC schools....whatever, its what u make of it....So I guess by moving to florida we will be failing our children, oh well what else can I tell you, shame on us.....oh please....

Old 03-17-2009, 06:44 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:

"Overall" Florida is ranked something like 29th overall.... which makes it a member of the "Top 2/3"..

Also, you will find that it differs greatly based on grade level. When kids are young, Florida schools perform much better:

StateMaster - Assessments > Scale Score, Grade 4 Math (most recent) by state (25th)

... and losing it as kids progress:

StateMaster - Assessments > Scale Score, Grade 8 Math (most recent) by state (36th)

Which seems to me the poster's comment about HOME LIFE and PARENTS being key is the thing. Grade 8 is when trouble starts at home. I am so tired of parents blaming schools for either a) their children's lack of ability, or b) their own lack of effort put into their children's education. Unless your kid is "special needs" and/or goes to the worst school in the middle of the ghetto, or a school where everyone is poor and has poor educational values, there is no excuse.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
"Overall" Florida is ranked something like 29th overall.... which makes it a member of the "Top 2/3"..

Also, you will find that it differs greatly based on grade level. When kids are young, Florida schools perform much better:

StateMaster - Assessments > Scale Score, Grade 4 Math (most recent) by state (25th)

StateMaster - Assessments > Scale Score, Grade 8 Math (most recent) by state (36th)

Which seems to me the poster's comment about HOME LIFE and PARENTS being key is the thing. Grade 8 is when trouble starts at home. I am so tired of parents blaming schools for either a) their children's lack of ability, or b) their own lack of effort put into their children's education. Unless your kid is "special needs" and/or goes to the worst school in the middle of the ghetto, or a school where everyone is poor and has poor educational values, there is no excuse.
TriM, love ya.. this is my point so thank you for pointing out!!! Again this is really getting old.....I dont think people are stupid regarding the schools, yes people need to do their homework and reserach them and call them and talk t people WHO actually attend the schools they are interested in, I know we did here way before we moved....

Old 03-17-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
and these florida kids who are now grown ups who are Doctors, atty's business professionals are all stupid???
Less than adequate schools does not mean "stupid". Undereducated, possibly. And yes, I would suggest that when large numbers of entering freshmen require remediation before they can tackle college work-- despite being in the top percentages of their class-- that those children are , no matter how naturally bright, undereducated.
There are children in Florida who excel. I know several kids who were National Merit Scholars in high school. They are also the sort of kids who have an innate curiosity and desire to do well, and would have flourished wherever they'd gone to school.

Quote:
considering I have friends that graduated from Florida Colleges who do extremely well for themselves and guess what??? THEY actually went to School in Florida, yes public school.....let me add since u have no clue of my daughters learning ability or disability, we were in good schools back home, and THEY FAILED my child because they said she didnt need certain things when actually she did and she has paid the price for it, however Had I NOT been involved and gave her extra tutoring outside of school she would be worse off....she is going back to an elem school here that WE PULLED her from because they have NO services for her, do here me bashing the schools here?? NOT.....there are a TON of parents who live where I live who are not happy with the school for not being able t help their child.....bottom line is again stay active with your children and if u have to provide them with extra learning then do so...lord knows we dont have the money for all these tutors but we find it, because its what she needs...problem with my dd is she isnt special needs, she just learns slower than the other children, and its takes it little bit longer to get it...although she is doing beautiful this year we are very proud....There are worst schools than Florida, just like there are schools here and up north aren't good...People thought we were CRAZY for moving here as everyone said OH THE SCHOOLS SUCK....oh yada yada, on the contrary because we did our homework, and research for so long before moving our schools here are excellent, considering Ive been told well they are NC schools....whatever, its what u make of it....So I guess by moving to florida we will be failing our children, oh well what else can I tell you, shame on us.....oh please....

Get a grip, berry. I made no comment whatever about your daughter, your parenting skills, or whether you meet clinical criteria for insanity.

And as for the highlighted-- once again, the best thing y'all can come up with is "well...we're not Mississippi!" That's a pretty poor endorsement. If I expect someone to educate my child, I expect more from them than that.

I don't particularly want an auto mechanic or a cardiologist who barely scraped by, either.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Less than adequate schools does not mean "stupid". Undereducated, possibly. And yes, I would suggest that when large numbers of entering freshmen require remediation before they can tackle college work-- despite being in the top percentages of their class-- that those children are , no matter how naturally bright, undereducated.
There are children in Florida who excel. I know several kids who were National Merit Scholars in high school. They are also the sort of kids who have an innate curiosity and desire to do well, and would have flourished wherever they'd gone to school.

Get a grip, berry. I made no comment whatever about your daughter, your parenting skills, or whether you meet clinical criteria for insanity.

And as for the highlighted-- once again, the best thing y'all can come up with is "well...we're not Mississippi!" That's a pretty poor endorsement. If I expect someone to educate my child, I expect more from them than that.

I don't particularly want an auto mechanic or a cardiologist who barely scraped by, either.
I wasnt saying u said anything about my daughtr I was using her as example and how ridiculous it is to assume that so many florida kids are Uneducated, and because YOU feel that way, doesnt mean everyone else does...and my comment about my parenting skills yes you are insinuated that my children or any one else's shouldn't attend florida public schools.....that is what you are saying...again NYC city schools in General arent terrific, however these kids aren't Uneducated either....Certain Schools in PA are terrible, and some of those kids go onto excellent colleges.....I think it is VERY unfair that u lump everyone into 1, EVERY STATE has their fair share of good, fair and poor schools...and what u might think is POOR or not GOOD the next person who's child did very well, might disagree with you...

Old 03-17-2009, 07:35 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Your right DMC, but you might be like me and work with a lot of common sense. I sometimes want to just slap these teachers down, but I remember very quickly that will not get me anywhere. But will you agree that you probably wouldn't have liked your school in the north any better? There are lots of stupid people up here too LOL. I have really just learned in the past 3 years that so many people do not have common sense and you can not work on the assumption that people do or you will have big problems!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Depends on what list you're looking at. Graduation rates, it's ranked 49th (and in this case even Mississippi ranks higher). SAT scores, 44th. Expenditures per pupil, teachers with advanced degrees...there are a number of things that go into measurement. The probelm with using only standardized testing scores is that there's no one nationwide test. The FCAT is not necessarily testing the same things in the same ways as tests in Iowa, Minnesota or California. (Or Mississippi.) And that also doesn't address teaching to the test, which is pretty prevalent (I know of at least three counties which have homework specifically designed to teach kids how to take the FCAT).

Quote:

Grade 8 is when trouble starts at home?? According to whom? You're not seriously trying to suggest children under the age of 12-13 don't live in situations where poverty, abuse, neglect, bullying, drugs/alcohol or even garden-variety poor parenting is an issue.

No one suggested parenting is unimportant. However, part of good parenting is recognizing bad situations, and less-than-adequate environments, and avoiding placing your child in one. If nurture is an agreed-upon influence in a child's life, you cannot say that choosing wisely the place where little Emily and Joshua spend six hours a day, 180 days a year, and with whom they spend that time, is not of utmost importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida