Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 AM

263 posts, read 889,796 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Indiana, and have lived in the ghettos and 'burbs of Indy and currently live in the very rural north west. I have seasonal depression and love Florida weather. I know that's not the best reason to move, but hubby has also applied for the Highway Patrol, and I'm all for moving if they accept him. I know it gets very hot / humid, and there's a lot of bugs, but I don't care. I'm mainly worried about finding a decent school system and house, as I have a 14 month old. Diversity doesn't bother me, but in the interest of protecting my child, crime does. FHP will place him where ever he's needed, and currently has vacancies in Miami, Orlando, and the Keys. We can live 30 minutes "flight time" from where ever he's placed. We expect to be able to be middle class as far as income if we both work. We both have 4 year degrees in criminology. Do we have a chance? Or is this a pipe dream? I don't mind living in a neighborhood, as long as I can have a fenced yard, and Homestead doesn't sound too bad despite what I've read on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 12:27 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Orlando is probably the most doable- real estate prices are reasonable by state standards, and if you could live in northern suburbs or to the east, both Seminole and Brevard county schools are above average by Southeastern standards and don't seem to have the crime issues you get in core city Orlando. Jobs are tough right now, but you can eventually find a paycheck, though it probably won't be in your field and will be less than what you make Up North.

Key West's cost of living will kill you if you're middle income and want a safe and secure modest-sized home, and Miami proper has enough issues that the non-Cuban middle class flees to Ft. Lauderdale when it can.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,912 times
I agree with beachmouse on Seminole County, look into the City of Lake Mary, City of Winter Springs just to mention a couple. Also there are special programs through some of the banks, fannie and the Government giving Police, Fire, Teachers etc... discounts on distressed homes.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
If I had an opportunity to live in Orlando, I'd do it for the kids. Seriously, I've never met a child that didn't love going to Disney.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:55 AM

31 posts, read 82,260 times
Hey, I pretty much moved down here for the same reason, so it's not a bad one! If you aren't happy where you are and want to move to FL, it can be done. I don't miss the cold, the congestion and the high cost of living in the DC area, and I absolutley love FL. Best decision I ever made, so don't give up. If it doesn't happen right away, keep trying...you'll get there eventually. You will NOT regret it. Also, you could try to get a civilian job on the military bases, I'm sure degrees in criminology will be useful in some capacity there. My husband works on the Navy base in Panama City, you could check that out, or check out Tyndall AFB or Eglin AFB in Pensacola...the Panhandle is beautiful and would probably be a little easier to adjust to than the peninsula. Or you could try Bay County Sheriff's dept (or any other county), we need more police, and I think they're trying to hire. So it can be done, you just have to apply to a lot of places all over the state. Someone will pick you up, just maybe not immediately. Good luck!!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:46 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
From my experiences most people from the midwest end up hating FL. Yes, it is a drastic change climate-wise, but all other social aspects (politics, racial makeup, etc) are 180 degrees in the opposite direction from what their used to. I would NOT move to FL and be prepared to get used to ALOT of spanish people and cold-shouldered friendliness. I would recommend another midwestern state or anything above GA. Texas is tops for me.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 PM

Oddly enough, the vast majority of Midwesterners I know who ended up in Florida love it and never want to go back to the land of ice and snow. Those that do leave end up veering toward Arizona, Texas, or California. The alleged coldness you get on the I-75 corridor really is pretty similar to (and in many cases transplanted) classic Midwestern reserve.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:18 PM

31 posts, read 82,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
From my experiences most people from the midwest end up hating FL. Yes, it is a drastic change climate-wise, but all other social aspects (politics, racial makeup, etc) are 180 degrees in the opposite direction from what their used to. I would NOT move to FL and be prepared to get used to ALOT of spanish people and cold-shouldered friendliness. I would recommend another midwestern state or anything above GA. Texas is tops for me.
Depends on WHERE you go in FL...we do not have a lot of hispanics on the Panhandle, and people are super-friendly, but I think the Panhandle is culturally more like the Deep South. The peninsula is just it's own little mishmash. I think she'd like the Panhandle more than the rest of the state, because it is probably more like the Midwest, at least demographically. It's not so crowded either, and it's got little seasons, but nothing like in Indiana. You can wear a coat a few days a year (mostly at night and early morning), which is nice, but it rarely ever gets cold. All in all, I'd recommend the Panhandle, if possible, it will be less of a culture shock.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:00 PM

Traditionally, you can go by interstate and say that I-10 is the Deep South, I-75 is the Midwest, and I-95 is the Northeast in terms of where people came from. (Bill Knapp's, which was a pretty Michigan/Ohio specific restaurant chain, used to have a fair number of restaurants along the I-75 corridor in FL because that's where retirees from those states tended to move) While it's not as uniformly true as it used to be, there's still a fair bit to that old generalization.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:43 PM

448 posts, read 1,471,062 times
We are from the Midwest and love FL. Yes its hot and humid. But I don't have to shovel it As for the spanish speakingWe have more New Yorkers, New Jersey....well lets just say the spanish speaking are not as rude as the SOME(not all) of the North Eastern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida