Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 04:18 PM

976 posts, read 1,110,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
seriously folks, I'm getting tired of reading how Florida isn't like it used to be....c'mon now most places aren't the way they used to be. PERIOD.

Just look at NC, SC for huge population growths. It's not just Florida.
When my husband was growing up in Charlotte the metro area had about 1/2 million people. It now has 3 million. So please...realize nothing is ever rarely going to stay the same. Just doesn't happen.
But there's a big quantity vs quality difference. NC and SC have grown, but FL has outpaced both, and a lot of individuals who have moved to FL (especially) are not the same as the ones in NC and SC. Granted, you all get morons and jerks there too, every state does, but not like FL. I know some will try to argue, but I have lived in both places, and they attract two different types of people, atleast over the last 10 yrs or so. I have lived in both, believe me, there's a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 04:33 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,197,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
I would say its because of all of the people that come down here that arent originally from here and bring their negative I HATE FLORIDA attitudes with them... we're sick of hearing about how horrible Florida is, how uneducated and racist we are, therefore we move
That's no fun, I'd rather stick around and make life as miserable as possible for a yankee. Every yankee in my neighborhood is scared to death of me, I've cost their lawbreaking, non-code compliant arses thousands.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:54 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
But there's a big quantity vs quality difference. NC and SC have grown, but FL has outpaced both, and a lot of individuals who have moved to FL (especially) are not the same as the ones in NC and SC. Granted, you all get morons and jerks there too, every state does, but not like FL. I know some will try to argue, but I have lived in both places, and they attract two different types of people, atleast over the last 10 yrs or so. I have lived in both, believe me, there's a difference.
Ahh truss I hardly disagree with you but on this one I do I now live in FL and I too lived in NC and I have to disagree with you...but again that is just my opinion..

Old 08-08-2009, 07:56 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Ahh truss I hardly disagree with you but on this one I do I now live in FL and I too lived in NC and I have to disagree with you...but again that is just my opinion..
I disagree too. I am shocked that Florida outpaced NC I would have to question that.. In the last 5 years? Full time residents???

That seems a bit odd, because last year the fastest growing county in the entire USA, was Union County NC, which is a little SW of Charlotte.

Still all in all my little farm town I grew up in? Even it's changed, not population wise so much, but now there's a McDonalds, there are 4 red lights instead of one...so see my drift EVERYTHING changes. It always has, it always will. No one nor nothing can change that, will have the power to change it, so one just needs to let it go.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:00 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Oh and I forgot to mention something...all the ones that left Florida because it wasn't what it used to be and they moved somewhere else? Well guess what you are changing the "somewhere else" you just moved to yourself.

You want to see what original North Carolinians think of Northerners and Floridians moving to NC, then go to the City data for NC, and read the thread about Yankees. I forget what they call Floridians, something like swamp something or other.

So they leave Florida because it ain't what it used to be, and move to say NC. And the people in NC say, they're sick of everyone moving here because they are changing things, and things aren't the way they used to be.

It's a vicious circle...and again I stress things will ALWAYS change. Most Floridians if born there are barely past the 2nd generation themselves.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
What do you hardly disagree with me about? You think the quality of people that move to FL are generally better than those that choose to move to NC? I have lived in both places almost an equal amount of time, and while I will always have love for FL as it is where I was born, as were many of my faimily members, the residents that make up the majority of the population ARE NOT on par with those of NC. If you lived in Charlotte and were comparing it to Lake Placid, FL, I could see where you were coming from but if you are comparing Charlotte to Orlando or Miami, there's a difference. Generally the people of NC are friendlier, less aggressive, far more polite, are far more genuine, etc... I have come across more morons and selfish jerks in Orlando in 3 yrs than I did in NC in 13 years of living there, and that is a fact. But what do I know...

Old 08-08-2009, 08:43 PM

[quote=Mrs. P;10182633]Oh and I forgot to mention something...all the ones that left Florida because it wasn't what it used to be and they moved somewhere else? Well guess what you are changing the "somewhere else" you just moved to yourself.

You want to see what original North Carolinians think of Northerners and Floridians moving to NC, then go to the City data for NC, and read the thread about Yankees. I forget what they call Floridians, something like swamp something or other.

So they leave Florida because it ain't what it used to be, and move to say NC. And the people in NC say, they're sick of everyone moving here because they are changing things, and things aren't the way they used to be.

I have met tons of Floridians in NC. Some were true native Floridians, and most were NY'ers that moved to FL, complained about everything, and then moved to NC "because it's cheapa" and now they are doing the same thing up there. Who wouldnt get tired of that? There's no difference - they act the same way in both places - just a different location. But many of the native Floridians up there got tired of what FL has become (tropical NJ anyone?) and left and are far more happy because they made the move and I know that the NC'ians aren't complaining about them, because they dont yell and scream at the cashiers when Ingles and Winn Dixie don't accept expired coupons for 25 cents. In general, native Floridians are normal, laid back, and genuine people. Oh, and they dont start off sentences with, "well back in....... this is the way we did things."

It's a vicious circle...and again I stress things will ALWAYS change. Most Floridians if born there are barely past the 2nd generation themselves.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:44 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
Trusses,

I agree with you 100%. That is what I tell my friends and family. Yes, there are plenty of jerks in NC. However, for every rude driver or jerk that I see in North Carolina, I can easily run into or see 20-30 in Miami in the same time frame. It is amazing, when in NC it is rare to see a jerk cut you off in traffic, or a customer service rep, cashier, etc give rude service; it does happen. But for example, for every time it happens in NC, it can probably happen 20x in the same time frame in Miami. It is simply unbelievable.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Trusses,

I agree with you 100%. That is what I tell my friends and family. Yes, there are plenty of jerks in NC. However, for every rude driver or jerk that I see in North Carolina, I can easily run into or see 20-30 in Miami in the same time frame. It is amazing, when in NC it is rare to see a jerk cut you off in traffic, or a customer service rep, cashier, etc give rude service; it does happen. But for example, for every time it happens in NC, it can probably happen 20x in the same time frame in Miami. It is simply unbelievable.
Exactly. My wife and I are both FL natives, lived in NC for a bit, and moved back. We are really taken back now by how many people down here behave and just interact with other people - in stores, on the highways, etc...

I HONESTLY could count on one hand how many times someone in NC has been rude to me. In 13 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!! In Orlando, just as many times PER WEEK.

I dont know what Berryjuice4Life is talking about, I respect her opinion, she's new to S FL, but I couldnt disagree more.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:15 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I disagree too. I am shocked that Florida outpaced NC I would have to question that.. In the last 5 years? Full time residents???

That seems a bit odd, because last year the fastest growing county in the entire USA, was Union County NC, which is a little SW of Charlotte.

Still all in all my little farm town I grew up in? Even it's changed, not population wise so much, but now there's a McDonalds, there are 4 red lights instead of one...so see my drift EVERYTHING changes. It always has, it always will. No one nor nothing can change that, will have the power to change it, so one just needs to let it go.
We lived in Union County so you are right...it was the fastest growing county....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida