Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,841 times

Advertisements

I see alot of floridians are relocating to other states. Is it the taxes or the HOI ? Is it the crime ? Is the cost of living here too much? Lack of jobs ? The storms or fires ? I would like to know why.

Last edited by firemed; 05-14-2007 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 07:07 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
High pricing for houses not worth it, EXPENSIVE insurance that might even drive me out of the state, very high crime, and an overall higher quality of life elsewhere. Those are a few reasons.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:09 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,538 times
I am moving because of lack of a decent paying job and little or no medical benefits, and I have family where I am going.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:36 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
people are invading the carolinas, tennessee and georgia becasue its the latest pipe dream of utopia.....those areas are on the fast track to becoming the new florida

Old 05-14-2007, 07:50 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
People are leaving beause they realize that they will never find a suitable standard of living. Until the real estate bubble bursts or the losers in talahassee lower taxes, Florida is for the independantly wealthy or those from areas worse off, and have lowered expectations from life.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:03 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
people are invading the carolinas, tennessee and georgia becasue its the latest pipe dream of utopia.....those areas are on the fast track to becoming the new florida
I like the upstate carolinas, I hope its not the next Florida.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
people in those chat rooms are already complaining about all the new yorkers moving in and the increase in traffic, cost of living, crime, pollution....its the next florida then florida may become beautiful again after everyone leaves

Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 PM

262 posts, read 937,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post

I'm sorry, it seems to be going that way. Over on the NC boards, I saw an awful picture of - I think it was "Chocolate Drop Mountain" (Smokies) - with the side of the mountain shaved bare. It will be the future location of some development, which they say has been advertising - using photos of the unstripped side of the mountain.

There was some blame directed at the migration of Floridians to NC.

And in another thread on this board (FL), I think it was hiknapster who said that the HOA people are already trickling into TN.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:23 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
I looked all over tenn and georgia and wouldnt live there for anything. SOme parts of the carolinas are ok, but check out some of the high tax areas, they beat some areas of Florida. North Carolina is a beautiful state, one of my top 2-3 in the US but probably will never live there, SC is out completely unless it would be Myrtle Beach or Mt Pleasant areas. I just do not like SC at all otherwise.

In talking with tons of people about this exact subject, many people are moving from cold states to these states awating the mess in Florida to end, many and the majority prefer Florida but are waiting out the storm of problems.

All states are having problems but Florida is a mess, I have two years to watch things change and I think with the people of Florida finally making steps it will change soon.

I actually see more people moving into Florida over the next 2-3 years then one can imagine. Property will be falling so much it will be very attractive not to buy there. But it will take at least a couple years or so.

I am not buying there yet mainly because I can see some great buys coming up.

People also need to see that the wage issue is not just in Fla, our politicians are screwing us all with this global crap of stuff, they want our workers to go down in wages to meet with the low wage paying countries who should be going up to meet us. We all better wake up, the uneven trades are killing us.
We need to stop sending all our money overseas and force those countries to buy out products or they get none of our money.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Myrtle Beach? High crime and ugly.

Look, I guess that tourist traps attract someone. Yeah, tourists. There are people that travel and then there are tourists. Big difference. I avoid the area.

The wage issue is everywhere. True. But then you have to take the wage/housing cost issue into account.

Florida has survived on tourists and retirees for years. It was also very affordable to live there. Quality of life? Depends what you like. If you like Myrtle Beach then Florida might be nice.

Doesn't really matter now.

Hurricanes hit and the American public in their infinite wisdom thought that would be the place to move to. Construction companies said, "Look, we have to repair all the damage. We'll build you a house, but you will have to wait, and it is going to cost you."

Bam.

It was the great housing run up of 2004.

Apparently, these new refugees never considered that hurricane insurance might go sky-high. Of course not, when you live in Ohio and think a hurricane isn't "that bad."

Prices are going to come down? Really?

Maybe. They will never go back to 2003 prices. And then there is the little matter of poor wages and mostly service jobs in Florida. That is nothing new. Been going on since tourists and retirees started showing up. They paid you in sunshine. That was fine when a safe, modest home cost you $60,000.

Always a problem, but heck, you were living in Florida. Except for the occasional hurricane, tornado, bugs, snakes and gators, who the heck cared. Wages didn't pay much, everyone was looking for a cheap house in paradise, cultural offerings were few. Who cared. You could die in Florida and never have to shovel a driveway.

Isn't that all that matters? There's a Walmart close by, right?

Well kids, prices started to edge the big cities, and then holy mike, Miami and Orlando and Tampa and Fort Myers weren't really New York City, were they?

Well, you can still retire there. You've got a pocket full of money after selling out from New York or Chicago. Except there is a problem. Services are lacking. A lot of the fire, police, teachers (oh yes, that is important when those uneducated kids break into your house) and waitresses that brought you the early-bird special are GONE.

Don't go to Florida or even my Tennessee. Stay where you are and be the curmudgeons that you are, because life in your retirement really is going to stink. The baby boomers are retiring, and they have always gobbled up all of the pie.

Now, this one time, you are suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida