Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 04:19 PM

131 posts, read 1,031,792 times

Advertisements

I've pretty much seen everything mentioned above.

Probably the most unusual sighting for me was of a marbled skunk, which is a different specie then the striped skunk most people know of.

I've heard of jaguarundi sightings in Merritt Island National Widlife Refuge, and there is supposed to be a panther in the area as well.

There are wild monkeys on the Oklawaha River, near Ocala. Some say they are escapees from the filming of Tarzan, in nearby Silver Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 04:20 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,273,342 times
I knew about the bears and the panther and bobcats...I had not heard about the wild boar though...sounds like an invitatin to a pig roast and a party...pardon if that offends your sensebility but thats what would happen back home in Texas...

I feel even more at home now that I know we have armadillos here AND maybe I can get a picture of the little football on legs next time he is through...I always thought they were so interesting, the face that only a Mother could love.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:37 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,185,198 times
In our yard we've seen lots of deer, wild turkeys, bob cats, lots of wild boar, armadillos galore, raccoons, possums, and a bear.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:14 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 784,087 times
We have land in N. Florida and on it we have seen: wild boar, bear, deer, armadillo, bobcat, and even saw a tropical bird one day (we are near the Gulf of Mexico).

Old 05-17-2007, 05:25 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Default Gray Fox

Gray Fox was a new one for me....I just didn't see them up North, but I see a lot of them in the house I'm in now.

I'm in a dense suburban area with a small conservation area behind my house, so I'll hear the fox "cry" at night and I'll see them ocassionally at night when walking the dogs.....I've even seen them climb a tree - there's a sight!

I've seen all the other animals mentioned, and I'll add that I see a lot of:

Snapping Turtles
Monarch Butterflies
Vultures
Red-Shouldered Hawks

And I recently saw my first Broad-Headed Skink......big lizard!

Old 05-18-2007, 12:42 AM

I took a friend of my daughters home, it was after dark, on the way there we saw a deer and on the way back we saw an owl.

One of the things I also love is I have some cardinals that live in my backyard...so bright you can see them clearly from the house.

I too had heard that the monkeys that live near Ocala were from the filming of Tarzan...

I had also heard that near the airport in Miami there is a croc or two that are not from here, having escaped from the animal control area.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:04 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,879,341 times
At South Beach, Miami there is that colony of wild (escaped?) parrots.

In the fall here up north, the clouds of migrating butterflies, whether monarchs or other species, are a beautiful, fluttery sight--except when they go <smack> on your windshield.

Riveree, it was not a skink, but I saw a kind of lizard I've never seen before on my driveway last week. All I know was that it definitely was not a run-of-the-mill lizard. It looked like a young one, but it had a big head, and it did that up and down movement.

Sometimes you can smell male foxes before you ever see them--it is a sharp, musky odor.

Correct me if I am wrong, I believe this is a red-shouldered hawk? Took this pic last week.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:09 AM

up here in the Orlando area they have a moniter lizard loose, probably someones pet that got away or let go...man that would freak me out.

A friend suggested that maybe we are seeing so many wild animals in this area because of the fires but I think its pretty common here...

My daughters teacher has a bear in their neighborhood, evidently her boxer Scooby likes to go looking for it to play/fight with it.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:12 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,879,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post

A friend suggested that maybe we are seeing so many wild animals in this area because of the fires but I think its pretty common here...My daughters teacher has a bear in their neighborhood, evidently her boxer Scooby likes to go looking for it to play/fight with it.
Playing with a bear could be a dangerous game.
But in Denver, we did have a friendly coyote who used to follow us (I was never worried, my dog is twice the coyotes size.)
I do think the fires could make some animals seek water near the roads.
But I've been seeing a lot of wild animals from the first day I lived here.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:38 AM

555 posts, read 2,204,431 times
Another wild animal is the coyote. Around Leesburg, I have seen where they eat watermelons growing in fields. Real messy too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida