Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I pay about 3K for sports for my boys - they are on travel baseball teams and play basketball as well, but goodnes with hotels and training it gets really expensive - do you have any idea what that might cost there?
No, I'm not really sure how much that would cost. Sorry, someone else could probably let you know though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 08:04 PM

26 posts, read 79,128 times
Chelsa - It's astounding how cheap one can live here for! I have lived here all my life(except for 4 years in college elsewhere) and am constantly being made aware of this fact by my customers from the northern states at my small business. I live in rural (that's the key) central Florida. Guess what the electric bill at my 3200 sq. ft. business address was last month? $46.00!!!

One guy from Connecticut was telling me that he had to pay property taxes to the tune of $9000 per year. With the recession and all, thats TWICE my income for this year.

Get out of the bigger cities and back into the country in any state and you will get a better lifestyle(and a cheaper one).

Last edited by jet4624; 12-10-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
thanks Jet - i appreciate the words

Old 01-10-2010, 06:22 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I was raised in Florida but left in 2005 after living there the first 35 years of my life. I used to really like it years ago, but as many have mentioned on these boards things went downhill very fast from about the mid to late 90's to present.

But my two biggest problems were the low wages and the weather. My salary is about 35% higher now up north for the same type of job, and the cost of living is actually lower where I live now, so I am more comfortable financially than I ever was in FL. And even though I never lived in another climate, I NEVER adapted to the heat. Always hated it with a passion. It never ends down there. I love the seasons, snow and cold weather now, I guess it was always in my genes, and FL was never the right climate for me. I bothers me when people on this forum talk about the hot FL weather and tell potential newcomers "you'll get used to it", because it simply isn't true for some people. Even when I get homesick for some things I miss about FL, I remember the neverending 90+ degree days in summer or the many 82 degree Christmases I experienced and remember why I left! Not everyone wants to wear "shorts and flip flops" year round as is posted so often on these forums.

But part of the weather I DO miss are the thunderstorms! I used to look forward to those every summer day, not just to cool down the temps, but because I always found them enchanting in some way. I've yet to see a thunderstorm up here in PA that can match the average Central Florida summer storm.
Could not have said it better

Old 01-10-2010, 07:44 AM

190 posts, read 493,123 times
I'm taking the less mentioned native view in support of Florida. I'm a native Floridian and lived in Tennessee for about 25 years. I decided to return to the heat, which certainly isn't present at the start Jan 2010. It has felt and looked similar to Tennessee--grey and faded. Today's weather reminds me of one of the reasons why I left Tennessee--to find a place where you don't have to rely solely on the shopping mall for entertainment. Florida in many areas is walkable. There are plenty of sidewalks. Here, you don't have to walk in a ditch and possibly twist an ankle or narrow road and get hit by a car. As far as the thunderstorms go, which many posters have mentioned, other places have them too. In Tennessee for example, they come in March, but only last about a month. They usually included deadly tornadoes. What makes Florida thunderstorms special is that much of the sky in Florida is visible. I lived near the Appalachian mountain chain (foothills) in TN, which blocked a good portion of the sky. Sunsets were only visible in certain areas, usually from the roadway or if you were privileged to own an expensive lot. Sunsets are already hard to catch, but could you imagine having to do it from the roadways? You live in your automobile in TN. Visibility issues resulted from haze. I'm sure this had something to do with living in the Tennessee Valley where air stagnates and diesel and coal emissions abound. Although more humid in the summer time, the air is much fresher in Florida, especially after a thunder storm. The greatest thing I missed about Florida was nature. I have so many options to choose from in Florida, such as spending time at the beach, fishing freshwater or saltwater, bike riding, etc. However, I need the mosquito spray when I'm near trees and water in Florida. Someone mentioned that FL is a photographer's paradise--yes, it is. As for rude people in Florida, the answer is yes and no. The pace is accelerated here, and more people reside in the state. People are in a hurry, perhaps because Floridians work very hard. Here, you have less of "the good ole boy network, sit-around-with-family and eat cornbread" work and social environment, which has its advantages and disadvantages. It is much harder to get accepted if you're from Florida moving into a politically and social conservative area. There is pressure to conform to a local identity. Lots of places have unusual dialects and speaking norms. Floridians speak a standardized version of English. We sound like people you find on television. You're identified as an outsider if you speak correctly and quickly. I had to learn to slow it down. When I moved to Tennessee, I had a much harder time understanding people. The speaking style consisted of unusual vocalized pauses and emphasis, and the double negatives were awful. I was proud of my Floridian dialect and ability to speak decent English, and the majority of locals were content to speak theirs. Being a Floridian when you move elsewhere may help to make you an interesting person, but you'll have to work harder to establish trust with others. As for drivers, I hated driving the interstate system in Tennessee. There were simply too many semi-truck drivers. They may not have been inconsiderate, but it was extremely dangerous to be on the road. Patience, vigilance, and forgiveness was required. Isn't this the same as dealing with an inconsiderate driver in Florida? I was in Miami several days last month on Biscayne Blvd--near construction. I was "let in" on multiple occasions. I also had a tow-truck driver who drove his truck and the attached car only inches from my car as I pumped gas. Apparently, he was in a hurry. Also, someone on the freeway decided to cross three lanes of busy traffic to make their exit ramp. People in front of me locked up their brakes, so I was almost rear-ended. In Tennessee, there were stupid drivers who were in a hurry as well, but I think Florida still has the advantage. Besides the longer wait-time at stop lights, I have found the roads to be in impeccable condition and the visibility is second to none. In FL, I noticed fewer ticket hungry police in my area. I have never received a ticket in TN or FL, but in TN police were everywhere with radar guns. To wrap this post up, I would say FL has its fair share of crap to deal with, but living here has brought back a sense of normalcy and pleasure. I feel more connected to nature, which is big for stress relief. I can participate in more of the hobbies I enjoy. I feel more in control while driving, safer, and less policed. I don't feel like I am judged as an outsider. I can speak good English at a faster pace without being viewed as an effeminate male. I can enjoy the sunsets while sitting on the beach and breathing fresh air. I don't have to suffer Spring allergies and ozone alert days. I can be promoted here--the sky's the limit. I have a bigger dating pool to choose a mate. I don't have to worry about how I might be judged if I decide to date inter-racially. Sure, I miss some of the slower pace, change of seasons, fewer people found elsewhere. I miss the mountains, catching rainbow trout in misty mountain streams, etc. If I become torn at some point, I may decide to split my time living in FL and TN or elsewhere. Who says you should only live in one spot if you have the desire and means to move around the country? The advantage to living in America is you have a lot of variety in which to choose.

Last edited by galactic_hombre; 01-10-2010 at 07:53 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic_hombre View Post
I'm taking the less mentioned native view in support of Florida. I'm a native Floridian and lived in Tennessee for about 25 years. I decided to return to the heat, which certainly isn't present at the start Jan 2010. It has felt and looked similar to Tennessee--grey and faded. Today's weather reminds me of one of the reasons why I left Tennessee--to find a place where you don't have to rely solely on the shopping mall for entertainment. Florida in many areas is walkable. There are plenty of sidewalks. Here, you don't have to walk in a ditch and possibly twist an ankle or narrow road and get hit by a car. As far as the thunderstorms go, which many posters have mentioned, other places have them too. In Tennessee for example, they come in March, but only last about a month. They usually included deadly tornadoes. What makes Florida thunderstorms special is that much of the sky in Florida is visible. I lived near the Appalachian mountain chain (foothills) in TN, which blocked a good portion of the sky. Sunsets were only visible in certain areas, usually from the roadway or if you were privileged to own an expensive lot. Sunsets are already hard to catch, but could you imagine having to do it from the roadways? You live in your automobile in TN. Visibility issues resulted from haze. I'm sure this had something to do with living in the Tennessee Valley where air stagnates and diesel and coal emissions abound. Although more humid in the summer time, the air is much fresher in Florida, especially after a thunder storm. The greatest thing I missed about Florida was nature. I have so many options to choose from in Florida, such as spending time at the beach, fishing freshwater or saltwater, bike riding, etc. However, I need the mosquito spray when I'm near trees and water in Florida. Someone mentioned that FL is a photographer's paradise--yes, it is. As for rude people in Florida, the answer is yes and no. The pace is accelerated here, and more people reside in the state. People are in a hurry, perhaps because Floridians work very hard. Here, you have less of "the good ole boy network, sit-around-with-family and eat cornbread" work and social environment, which has its advantages and disadvantages. It is much harder to get accepted if you're from Florida moving into a politically and social conservative area. There is pressure to conform to a local identity. Lots of places have unusual dialects and speaking norms. Floridians speak a standardized version of English. We sound like people you find on television. You're identified as an outsider if you speak correctly and quickly. I had to learn to slow it down. When I moved to Tennessee, I had a much harder time understanding people. The speaking style consisted of unusual vocalized pauses and emphasis, and the double negatives were awful. I was proud of my Floridian dialect and ability to speak decent English, and the majority of locals were content to speak theirs. Being a Floridian when you move elsewhere may help to make you an interesting person, but you'll have to work harder to establish trust with others. As for drivers, I hated driving the interstate system in Tennessee. There were simply too many semi-truck drivers. They may not have been inconsiderate, but it was extremely dangerous to be on the road. Patience, vigilance, and forgiveness was required. Isn't this the same as dealing with an inconsiderate driver in Florida? I was in Miami several days last month on Biscayne Blvd--near construction. I was "let in" on multiple occasions. I also had a tow-truck driver who drove his truck and the attached car only inches from my car as I pumped gas. Apparently, he was in a hurry. Also, someone on the freeway decided to cross three lanes of busy traffic to make their exit ramp. People in front of me locked up their brakes, so I was almost rear-ended. In Tennessee, there were stupid drivers who were in a hurry as well, but I think Florida still has the advantage. Besides the longer wait-time at stop lights, I have found the roads to be in impeccable condition and the visibility is second to none. In FL, I noticed fewer ticket hungry police in my area. I have never received a ticket in TN or FL, but in TN police were everywhere with radar guns. To wrap this post up, I would say FL has its fair share of crap to deal with, but living here has brought back a sense of normalcy and pleasure. I feel more connected to nature, which is big for stress relief. I can participate in more of the hobbies I enjoy. I feel more in control while driving, safer, and less policed. I don't feel like I am judged as an outsider. I can speak good English at a faster pace without being viewed as an effeminate male. I can enjoy the sunsets while sitting on the beach and breathing fresh air. I don't have to suffer Spring allergies and ozone alert days. I can be promoted here--the sky's the limit. I have a bigger dating pool to choose a mate. I don't have to worry about how I might be judged if I decide to date inter-racially. Sure, I miss some of the slower pace, change of seasons, fewer people found elsewhere. I miss the mountains, catching rainbow trout in misty mountain streams, etc. If I become torn at some point, I may decide to split my time living in FL and TN or elsewhere. Who says you should only live in one spot if you have the desire and means to move around the country? The advantage to living in America is you have a lot of variety in which to choose.

I am very interested in reading your post but having it all together without any paragraphs makes ones eyes hurt.

Try separating it with edit, it will help the eyeballs.

Pleeeesee.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:07 PM

14 posts, read 70,743 times
I was born in Winter Park and raised in Brevard County for 18 years. I've lived in Florida all my life and would not want to live anywhere else. The biggest complaint from other people seems to be the weather. But I feel completely opposite. I love the weather, even the summer. I've experienced the worst, and it's certainly tolerable for me. I've played two hours of tennis on a hot and humid July afternoon on many occasions (and that's on an asphalt court which reflects heat so that you feel like you're playing in an oven). I know how bad the heat can get. But I don't complain about it like other people do. I'd much rather have the heat than below-freezing cold (or anything less than 70F, really). If you live near the coast, it's not even a big deal given that on most days you have a nice seabreeze to cool you down.

I like hurricanes and thunderstorms (unless I'm doing something on the computer and the power gets knocked out...then that pisses me off). I like the generally laidback lifestyle. People (at least in the smaller cities) are usually friendly. I LOVE all the outdoor activities you can do. Being a tennis player, there is no other place I would rather live. You need sunshine to play tennis, and this is the sunshine state. I enjoy kayaking (and there are a lot of places to kayak in Brevard...you have the whole Indian River Lagoon system). I like going to the beach. I love hiking. There are so many nature activities you can take part in...it's unbelievable. Florida wildlife is beautiful. The universities here are great. Combine that with Bright Futures, and staying in-state for school is a no-brainer. I want to work in health care, and since Florida has a higher proportion of senior citizens, job opportunities should be good for me.

I have never been a victim of crime here despite living in the 30th least safe city in the United States for practically all my life (Cocoa...lol). You just have to find the right areas to live. Drivers here are pretty bad I guess, but if you're a good defensive driver, you'll be fine. There are bad drivers everywhere.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patron305 View Post
So i've been reading alot of post and well there are so many people bashing Florida. So i just wanted to know what those who were born AND raised in Florida think of the "Sunshine State".
With hope, after college, I will NEVER live in FL again!! I am a native Floridian who has lived in a million different cities in FL and other states in the U.S. like Texas and Illinois and even Canada for like a year. FL has been declining in quality of life since before I can remember. I remember I used to be able to play and ride my bike outside and take the bus to school and be safe all the time. Now, there's like child molestors and freaks out on the loose and kids can't do anything. For some reason, FL has always attracted the worst kinds of people. I'm only staying in FL for college because it's really cheap and affordable. But after that, you won't see my behind in FL ever again except for vacations to my mother's house. I want to live in REAL progressive states like California, Massachusettes, New York, Oregon, etc. Sorry. I used to love FL, but FL has never loved me.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
With hope, after college, I will NEVER live in FL again!! I am a native Floridian who has lived in a million different cities in FL and other states in the U.S. like Texas and Illinois and even Canada for like a year. FL has been declining in quality of life since before I can remember. I remember I used to be able to play and ride my bike outside and take the bus to school and be safe all the time. Now, there's like child molestors and freaks out on the loose and kids can't do anything. For some reason, FL has always attracted the worst kinds of people. I'm only staying in FL for college because it's really cheap and affordable. But after that, you won't see my behind in FL ever again except for vacations to my mother's house. I want to live in REAL progressive states like California, Massachusettes, New York, Oregon, etc. Sorry. I used to love FL, but FL has never loved me.

While I agree with you (I'm a native myself) about the part about the "FL attracts the worst type of people" (sad, but true) I wouldnt go far as to say that kids cant do anything.

Also, I do agree that FL is and has been in decline (in general), due to the people it attracts, and a lot of good folks are leaving. So for the most part, I agree with pretty much everything you stated, but I dont think that kids just cant do anything anymore - there are still plenty of places that are nice and safe.

I get a rep on here for being the negative native or whatever, but personally, I just tell it like I see it, and dont sugarcoat anything. But at the same time, I dont think I get carried away with what I say or over-exaggerate, as some think I do.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:38 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Everything that you both said can be said about a million places in the United States pick a state/city and you will have the same thing being said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida