Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:27 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
You have a point on the landscape or any other reason for that matter what makes people happy in a place.

It would be interesting if the researchers follow up in few years and report back on those respondants. At the end of the day the benefit to society of such study (apart from entertainment) is to understand the source of unhappiness and it can be anything.

Why pick apart the survey. It is what it is and that is that.

FLORIDA IS #3! and I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
How do you know what makes other people happy? The landscape makes a HUGE difference in how happy I feel. Back when I was a student living in the ugliest part of Suitcase City, I hated this town. Now, living in South Tampa with the water beckoning - I adore it. Nothing makes me happy like going outside and seeing the Bay and the beautiful trees and birds and lizards and that amazing unobstructed Florida sky, and nothing makes me depressed like a dreary bleak winter landscape with not a blade of green in sight.
I couldn't agree more. Decades ago, I too, lived in suitcase city, a truly ugly and depressing place to live. Tampa seemed pretty ugly to me, then, too. But a new neighborhood with different surrounds makes all the difference. I am a person who has to have natural beauty around me (birds, wildlife, abundant trees, plants, etc) or I am not happy. Overall, I find all this in Florida along with lots of blue skies and sunshine (another must for me!) and warm weather. I told my husband I will never move to a place with several months of cold, dreary weather, with the landscape all dead and all the animals in hibernation or flown south.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:59 AM

Certainly agree with you G.P.

I think the beautiful surroundings just naturally make people happy.
I remember life in the concrete jungle too well. But of course not just any beautiful surrounding would do. It has to have another factor.
Quality of Life.

Not all of Florida has that caveat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I couldn't agree more. Decades ago, I too, lived in suitcase city, a truly ugly and depressing place to live. Tampa seemed pretty ugly to me, then, too. But a new neighborhood with different surrounds makes all the difference. I am a person who has to have natural beauty around me (birds, wildlife, abundant trees, plants, etc) or I am not happy. Overall, I find all this in Florida along with lots of blue skies and sunshine (another must for me!) and warm weather. I told my husband I will never move to a place with several months of cold, dreary weather, with the landscape all dead and all the animals in hibernation or flown south.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:43 AM

425 posts, read 958,387 times
sounds like I am at, where you were at, granted I am a little older 33, for years I was of the mid set, that I was lucky to have been born in NY and there is no better place to be...but with time, comes wisdom...I am not going to bash NYC, because it is great...I just do not think it is the best...it is dirty, the foreigners (russians, asians) and a good portion of the american born citizens in my area are very rude, and have no problem trying to push you aside, when getting on/off buses or trains and the winters are rough.

I'm a big sports fan, but you know what I use to be able to go to about 10-20 games a year, now I can go to 3-5 for the same price as those 10-20. What good is having everything at your doorstep, if the price for everything is ridiculous...NYC is IMHO very over rated.

I have been living inGravesend/ Bensonhurts area of Brooklyn for 5 years , after living in Broad Channel, Queens for 28 years.

I am currently looking into the Tampa/ St. Pete area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It's not thinking abstractly, it's called enjoying your life.

I resigned from a job after 10 years. I was days short of 30. Living in a decent part of Brooklyn, Sheepshead Bay. The future at the company was wonderful for me. I would have been in upper management a long time ago. Although Life in NYC was no picnic in the 1980's.

We moved to Orlando, no jobs, 10k in the bank and a 23 year old classic car. My first job was cashing checks in a Western Union office for $5 an hour. Last time I made $5 an hour I was 15. My second job was a typist in a law frim, $5 an hour. I got better at my job, became a "legal assistant". Made more money. Same firm. When the rent on our apartment went up, we bought a house. I'm a veteran, got the guranteed loan. Nothing fancy on the house. A 1952 bugalow, $62k. 21 years later I am one of the best paralegals in the field of law I work in. I am known throughout the state. People ask me why I don't become an attorney. I make about the same now as I did almost 22 years ago.

Am I happy? Couldn't be happier. After 17 years in Orlando, we moved here after selling our little bungalow for $245k. I work fairly close to home, small firm.
My wife is the recepionist, I am the paralegal, we are having a ball. I do what I love and I am doing it in a place I love. The weather is wonderful. It's December and I wore my company polo shirt to work today. I have the a/c on right now to cool down the house. Tomorrow I will be in the back yard working on my pond expansion while the wife picks tomatoes off the bushes. My little ornamental roses are doing beautiful, the plumbago is beautiful and hardy. Even the Hibiscus has bright red flowers on it. Can't wait until spring and have the crepe myrtles in bloom. We have 3 different colors! Then the orange tree buds will set. Fresh juice in November!.

Yeah, beats the heck out of that NYC/LI lifestyle, the commuting on the subway, the LIRR, or forbid, drive in rush hour traffic for a couple of hours and gallons of gas, not to mention the tolls, the high insurance rates, the auto burgulary rate which you become a victim of when you don't take your car stereo out at night (or day).
The hassles of urban life, the freezing winters, the hot and humid summers, the useless beaches, the job, the stinking supermarkets, the rude people who grimmace at you if you say "hello" on the street.

Yeah, I like this. I work, I enjoy. I have everything I want. And all this for about what I earned 20+ years ago.

But its a great lifestyle. The beaches, the forests, the rural setting, the peace and quiet. Yeah. Got here at a perfect time when the expansion was happening. New stores and malls all over the place with all the major players.

Orlando, eh. It was nice when we got there, but got out of hand by the later 90's. Opportunity to leave came up suddenly, sold the house and came here to continue our lives.

So why is that guy staying in Buffalo, NYC, Detroit, etc?
For the money? For the big job? What is it costing him?
It's costing him his life. That's what. It is sucking the enjoyment of life out of him. When, if, he makes it to 60' what ever its going to be when he retires, what has he got?

I think I made the better choice.

Does my logic continue to eldue you?

Old 12-24-2009, 09:09 AM

The early 30's, to me, is a time where we take retrospect of our lives.
We are done with the child hood times, we have grown up, seen our childhood friends either sink or swim and now we have to make choices.

I always knew there would come a day when I would leave NY. I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's there. Different times in some ways, but in Brooklyn, especially the areas you lived, don't change much from generation to generation.

If you have ambition, common sense and a desire to succeed, you can do OK in FL. I know I've done better here, quality of life wise, then I could have ever done in NYC.

Yep, it's all right at your door step, if you want to pay the prices.

They want nearly $200 a night for a motel room on Emmons Avenue.
What, are they nuts?

This forum can be really helpful for information on relocating. Where to live, eat, etc. Florida offers a lot of different things to a lot of people.

Since you are a city guy, living in Tampa should be a nice experience for you. Just be careful about your choices of location. Make sure it suites your needs.

Yeah, I've dealt with the Russians before. Very rude people. Very demanding and they have no class at all.

The classic battles for a subway seat. I guess thats a part of living in NYC still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
sounds like I am at, where you were at, granted I am a little older 33, for years I was of the mid set, that I was lucky to have been born in NY and there is no better place to be...but with time, comes wisdom...I am not going to bash NYC, because it is great...I just do not think it is the best...it is dirty, the foreigners (russians, asians) and a good portion of the american born citizens in my area are very rude, and have no problem trying to push you aside, when getting on/off buses or trains and the winters are rough.

I'm a big sports fan, but you know what I use to be able to go to about 10-20 games a year, now I can go to 3-5 for the same price as those 10-20. What good is having everything at your doorstep, if the price for everything is ridiculous...NYC is IMHO very over rated.

I have been living inGravesend/ Bensonhurts area of Brooklyn for 5 years , after living in Broad Channel, Queens for 28 years.

I am currently looking into the Tampa/ St. Pete area

Old 12-24-2009, 04:45 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
sounds like I am at, where you were at, granted I am a little older 33, for years I was of the mid set, that I was lucky to have been born in NY and there is no better place to be...but with time, comes wisdom...I am not going to bash NYC, because it is great...I just do not think it is the best...it is dirty, the foreigners (russians, asians) and a good portion of the american born citizens in my area are very rude, and have no problem trying to push you aside....
I know what you mean, and then they all move to Florida.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:39 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
This posting is for all those who feel that Florida is such a horrible place.

Study explores states of happiness | Portland Press Herald (http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=303345&ac=PHnws - broken link)

Your commentary is invited.

Perhaps the problem isn't Florida, perhaps it is the perspective of the person. I would ask all you who feel it is such a horrible place to
state why you left the last horrible place you lived prior (the place that made Florida so attractive in the first place).

If you were unhappy there and are unhappy here, maybe its time to do some self introspection and find out why you are miserable in the first place.
I think oftentimes, its not so much a particular geographical location that makes us unhappy and full of discontent...but rather, a lack of direction to our ULTIMATE purpose of living . Once THAT is a healthy foundation, I do believe folks can live just about anywhere . Do you desire to know your purpose in life?

Last edited by 007.5; 12-25-2009 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: add

Old 12-25-2009, 08:21 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Spring I love you - I completely agree with you - my family who is all in SFL now said the dame thing to me - chels, you have managed to make a great salary in an admistrative job there, you will do the same here, you didn't settle for less in NYC, you won't settle for less here.

I'm an over thinker and because I have somewhat irresponsible parents, I have been so apprehensive - I have 2 boys that I'm scared to death to let down. I realize now though that if I don't take a chance now, I may never do it. I have decided august is the date I plan to go - right before school starts - I'm ready! Im jumping in feet first Saving as much as I can until then! Wish me luck!

Scotty - you and I are the same age. NYC is a great place with the right money - but the cold and weather put a damper on a lot. I'm ready to go and don't blame you for being ready!!!

Old 12-25-2009, 10:23 AM

23 posts, read 57,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
This survey rated people's happiness based on climate, air quality, crime and schools? I guess the responders must really enjoy oppressive heat, high crime rates and crummy schools. Kind of confirms what I've always said about the thought process of a lot of Floridians.
HAHAHA. and you just proved the poster's point. thank you for not enjoying florida. now get out. lol

Last edited by suburbiat; 12-25-2009 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: thank you for not enjoying florida...

Old 12-25-2009, 12:17 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbiat View Post
HAHAHA. and you just proved the poster's point. thank you for not enjoying florida. now get out. lol
You're quite welcome, Mr. Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida