Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:03 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times

Advertisements

This posting is for all those who feel that Florida is such a horrible place.

Study explores states of happiness | Portland Press Herald (http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=303345&ac=PHnws - broken link)

Your commentary is invited.

Perhaps the problem isn't Florida, perhaps it is the perspective of the person. I would ask all you who feel it is such a horrible place to
state why you left the last horrible place you lived prior (the place that made Florida so attractive in the first place).

If you were unhappy there and are unhappy here, maybe its time to do some self introspection and find out why you are miserable in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 12:48 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
While there is some useful info in such study it is important to not read much into it.

This is no substitute for proper research of a state or an area before moving. Just because the people said they are happy don't mean you will be happy.

There is an interesting quote in the link about CA and NY. Moral of story: ssshhhhhhhh don't advertise too much! Otherwise, we all end up unhappy in no time.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:56 PM

Of course each individual must make their own choices based on their wants, needs and the ability of the proposed new location to provide for their needs, but the information posted by certain un-namable users here state(ed) a much different picture. In fact, one posting I read that stated FL was in LAST place on the "happiness index". This article gives a picture of what actual residents think. It was posted by me to help dispel myths and non-factual information posted here and elsewhere. "Advertising" won't hurt anyone. This report is currently national news and in most newspapers.

It is high time that the people who hate living in Florida take a look in the mirror and see for themselves where the problem may lie.

The people who hate living in Florida at one time in their lives certainly told the neighbors "We are moving to paradise and getting out of this rat trap". But then they for one reason or another decided they hate Florida and want out. What I wonder is what keeps them here in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
While there is some useful info in such study it is important to not read much into it.

This is no substitute for proper research of a state or an area before moving. Just because the people said they are happy don't mean you will be happy.

There is an interesting quote in the link about CA and NY. Moral of story: ssshhhhhhhh don't advertise too much! Otherwise, we all end up unhappy in no time.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:00 PM

150 posts, read 474,628 times
There's already a thread about this in the main FL forum (there's also one in the Orlando forum):

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ate-study.html

Old 12-18-2009, 01:43 PM

I guess all of those lists mentioned all have their share of people who bash the area they live in. Its a breath of fresh air if you ask me.
It should be in ALL forums on City-Data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haai View Post
There's already a thread about this in the main FL forum (there's also one in the Orlando forum):

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ate-study.html

Old 12-18-2009, 02:45 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times
This survey rated people's happiness based on climate, air quality, crime and schools? I guess the responders must really enjoy oppressive heat, high crime rates and crummy schools. Kind of confirms what I've always said about the thought process of a lot of Floridians.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:59 PM

Well, that was 1.3 million people involved in the study. You probably don't live in Florida. The heat is not "oppressive" for me. Its wonderful compared to being chilled to the bone and having your ear lobes fall off
High crime rates are in the big cities, like every other state. Schools are just fine, its the dumbass students that attend them and the parents who don't give a damm about their kids that is the problem.

The biggest crimes in Spring Hill are marijuana and rolling paper posession, speeding, driving drunk or without a license. Lots of violation of probation too. You get on probation for driving without a license, property crimes like breaking somebody's window and things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
This survey rated people's happiness based on climate, air quality, crime and schools? I guess the responders must really enjoy oppressive heat, high crime rates and crummy schools. Kind of confirms what I've always said about the thought process of a lot of Floridians.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:09 PM

357 posts, read 799,568 times
Quote:

Oh woops, will this post be deleted at well?

Old 12-18-2009, 03:59 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Well, that was 1.3 million people involved in the study. You probably don't live in Florida. The heat is not "oppressive" for me. Its wonderful compared to being chilled to the bone and having your ear lobes fall off
High crime rates are in the big cities, like every other state. Schools are just fine, its the dumbass students that attend them and the parents who don't give a damm about their kids that is the problem.

The biggest crimes in Spring Hill are marijuana and rolling paper posession, speeding, driving drunk or without a license. Lots of violation of probation too. You get on probation for driving without a license, property crimes like breaking somebody's window and things like that.
Been in Florida since the '60s. In fact, I lived in Brooksville in the '70s and remember Spring Hill before......well, before what it is now.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Been in Florida since the '60s. In fact, I lived in Brooksville in the '70s and remember Spring Hill before......well, before what it is now.

So then obviously you also enjoy the oppressive heat, etc, or you wouldn't have stayed so long.

Spring Hill was destined to be a different place as happens to everywhere. No place stays the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida