Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:30 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
I attended college right before my son came home two years ago. I was in a writing course and had to choose a topic. I chose ethanol. At first it seemed after I started researching it that it was a yawner of a topic. Now, I'm so glad I chose it.

There is so much we don't know about ethanol and alternate-fuels. First of all, do you our own gov't relies on the big oil companies to fund the exploration and development of bio-fuel?? Wait...I'll say it again...our gov't looks to the BIG OIL COMPANIES to fund projects to dev. and explore things like ethanol and other forms of bio-fuel and alternative energy resources.

The very same companies they give major tax breaks to.

I found out so much cr*p while researching this topic...I was APPALLED!

Turning to 'King Oil' to cure our dependency on oil is like asking your dealer to help you with your heroine addiction.
It's funny they can't seem to find anything new, Now you will understand what Lobbyest do! It's sad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 01:53 PM

548 posts, read 540,652 times
Quote:
I attended college right before my son came home two years ago. I was in a writing course and had to choose a topic. I chose ethanol. At first it seemed after I started researching it that it was a yawner of a topic. Now, I'm so glad I chose it.

There is so much we don't know about ethanol and alternate-fuels. First of all, do you our own gov't relies on the big oil companies to fund the exploration and development of bio-fuel?? Wait...I'll say it again...our gov't looks to the BIG OIL COMPANIES to fund projects to dev. and explore things like ethanol and other forms of bio-fuel and alternative energy resources.

The very same companies they give major tax breaks to.

I found out so much cr*p while researching this topic...I was APPALLED!

Turning to 'King Oil' to cure our dependency on oil is like asking your dealer to help you with your heroine addiction.
Imagine if our government after 9-11 told us that our number 1 priority to improve our homeland security would be to decrease the use of middle east oil. Instead of a trillion dollars for Iraq, all that money went towards alternative energy and the soldiers were used to help build wind turbine and solar cell fields. Imagine if the 87% approval rating for the President at that time was used for him to ask the American people to conserve 10% and support alternative energy in any way they could....conservation was the new patriotism. And that huge outpouring of world wide sympathy for the US was used to ask other countries to do the same.

No dead, no maimed, and well on the way to using less and less foreign oil.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:22 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,711 times
Ethanol is not the answer. We aren't even using that much of it and already it's causing corn prices to go through the roof. The farmers can't grow enough corn to support both the use of fuel and food. The Mexicans are in a crisis because they are mostly all poor people and most of their food is based on corn and they can't afford to eat. Ethanol is going to cost even more than oil based fuel.

Wind, solar, and water power is very limited in it's capacity. Nuclear is the best alternative but there is the problem of what to do with the radioactive waste generated from the nuclear plants. Here in Maine and also in Massachusetts they wanted to expand on wind power and build more wind mills but guess who was against it? THE DEMOCRATS!! Ted Kennedy said no because the wind mills would ruin his view he has from him multi-million dollar Kennedy Compound. In Maine the environmentalist nut jobs are against it because the wind mills might kill some birds.

Of course they were also against a LNG plant that would have helped provide some more power. The thing is, when it comes to oil, the only way we are going to get oil prices to come down is if we find our own sources of oil. It's the big oil companies who are going to be the ones investing in new sources of oil, new refinieries and ways to make oil safer for the environment. This is what their profit is used for...along with hiring and continuing to employ American workers.

While I am against tax payer funding of big oil, I am completely against Billary Clinton's idea of stealing the profits of big oil to penalize them. What's that going to do? It's going to make oil prices sky rocket even more than they are now because the oil companies are not going to have the money to invest in alternative energy sources as well as ways to get more oil and increase refining capacity. So if you want to see high energy prices...go ahead and elect Democrats in November!!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:18 PM

195 posts, read 1,168,163 times
Default So right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Imagine if our government after 9-11 told us that our number 1 priority to improve our homeland security would be to decrease the use of middle east oil. Instead of a trillion dollars for Iraq, all that money went towards alternative energy and the soldiers were used to help build wind turbine and solar cell fields. Imagine if the 87% approval rating for the President at that time was used for him to ask the American people to conserve 10% and support alternative energy in any way they could....conservation was the new patriotism. And that huge outpouring of world wide sympathy for the US was used to ask other countries to do the same.

No dead, no maimed, and well on the way to using less and less foreign oil.
Not only that...by curing our own dependency on oil (not just for a better earth but for the simple reason that there WILL be an end to the oil supply eventually...) we also remove a VERY imp and highly EFFECTIVE weapon away from the terrorists...

MONEY.

A terrorist without money to fund his insanity is no longer a 'terrorist'.

They're just an insane person.

Think about it. You can kill terrorism from the inside out and no one has to go to WAR to do it.

Maybe we can even sell our own reserves of oil to China. Starve the terrorists even more. Make back some of the money we lost on toys and other cr*p made in China!!!

and before you say it, PLEASE don't ask me what OIL and TERRORISM have in common.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:29 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,711 times
Imagine if we had been able to drill in ANWAR 8 years ago like President Bush wanted to do. We would be getting lots of our own oil right now and we wouldn't be dependent on foreign terrorist nations for oil. Imagine if the Democrats had let us build new refineries so we could update our capacity to produce gasoline which hasn't been done in almost 40 years. We have 40 year old technology refining our oil and gas. The Democrat party has held up any efforts to get our own oil or increase our refining capacity.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:41 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,098 times
Quote:
Maybe we can even sell our own reserves of oil to China.

We already are!! Most of the oil from the Alaskan Pipeline is being sold overseas (for a much higher price)...how come America can't keep our oil here for our own country to bring down prices??

Like the insurance companies making BILLIONS in profit while telling everyone they're "losing money" while raising our rates through the roof it couldn't be corporate greed now could it???

Old 03-02-2008, 05:45 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Imagine if we had been able to drill in ANWAR 8 years ago like President Bush wanted to do. We would be getting lots of our own oil right now and we wouldn't be dependent on foreign terrorist nations for oil. Imagine if the Democrats had let us build new refineries so we could update our capacity to produce gasoline which hasn't been done in almost 40 years. We have 40 year old technology refining our oil and gas. The Democrat party has held up any efforts to get our own oil or increase our refining capacity.
Last I heard Bush, Cheney, Rice etc. were up to their ears in money from overseas oil...

Why would they fight FOR our refining capacity when it would affect their own pockets???

As in any election year all the ills of the world revolve around a political party & not conglomerate corporations trying to make record profits off of anything & anyone.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Ten

163 posts, read 334,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Most of the oil from the Alaskan Pipeline is being sold overseas (for a much higher price)
I'd like to see your evidence of this.

Quote:
Like the insurance companies making BILLIONS in profit while telling everyone they're "losing money" while raising our rates through the roof it couldn't be corporate greed now could it???
Are you suggesting there's price fixing going on? May I see evidence of that as well?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Ten

163 posts, read 334,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Last I heard Bush, Cheney, Rice etc. were up to their ears in money from overseas oil...
Evidence, please.

Quote:
As in any election year all the ills of the world revolve around a political party & not conglomerate corporations trying to make record profits off of anything & anyone.
Which is what corporations do and must do unless you're still implying they are illegally colluding to prevent competition. May we have that evidence? I'm sure the FBI will want to see it.

Are you suggesting we replace the free market with a collective of some sort? If so, is that structure enumerated in the Constitution anywhere that you can cite?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,163 times
Default Look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Evidence, please.
people come on here to share their own opinion and personal views on things.

Definition of 'forum'

fo·rum –noun [fawr-uhm, fohr-uhm]: an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

Source: Dictionary.com

No where does it say that people 'present evidence' with every opinion they give.

It goes both ways you know. How about YOU giving evidence of the point YOU'RE trying to make?

Instead of 'policing' the Florida forum boards (which is the mod's job), how about you just share your point of view? We'll all listen...ummm...read what you have to say.

You gotta admit...to just go around demanding evidence from people for their point of view is sort of obnoxious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida