Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:08 PM

66 posts, read 468,332 times

Advertisements

is it true that if you have a motorcycle in florida that insurance is optional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 08:35 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,808,247 times
I believe it is- but so are helmets............

I don't recommend getting on a motorcycle at all but if you do, at least have insurance and a helmet. I lost a long time friend last June to a motorcycle accident. Wasn't her fault- she was hit by a car.

Be safe.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:36 PM

By the way, I believe motorcycle insurance is only around $300 annually.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:55 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,407,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSchaff View Post
is it true that if you have a motorcycle in florida that insurance is optional?
Good luck finding one, which offers it!!!
And, IF they do, I hope you won't pass out when you get the bill....
(We have a HD)

Old 05-21-2007, 09:09 PM

200 posts, read 680,693 times
You don't have to have insurance if you own but it is a catch 22 - a loop hole.... if you get into an accident, though, you BETTER HAVE IT. You will be held liable and with the added traffic and growth down here we tell all our students DEFINITELY GET IT!! WARNING: The laws down here are changing rapidly. If you are under 21 you have to have a helmet AND you will have a totally different tag (license plate) to allow officers to notice you; if you are 21 and older you do not have to wear a helmet but must have proof of $10,000 medical insurance. You won't be pulled over to be checked on that - it is a secondary offense....... but please rethink the helmet. ...and come 2008 you have to have taken AND passed an MSF course to even register your bike in FL. So check with the local DMV for any updates!!! As I said they are changing RAPIDLY!!! (My hubby and I are MSF instructors here in FL) check out DAIRYLAND or GECKO or PROGRESSIVE. Your rates depend on your age, past history and type of bike. We ride a YAMAHA FJR Sport Touring (1300) We are MSF Instructors (can not have tickets or offenses) and so our record is clean - we are in our early 50's but our insurance was high due to the bike - it has been used in abusive situations which makes our bike a risk - the word SPORT got us. We sold it and got two 650's each and our insurance dropped DRAMATICALLY! So sad!! Others can raise your insurance from stupid actions. Ok - sorry - on the soap box - just wanted to give you my nickel's worth! Good luck but have fun, ride safe and smart!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:41 PM

TeeJay- You're my neighbor! Do you teach through adult ed at the school board building? If so, I've heard great things about your program and considered taking that class before my friend's accident.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:33 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,158,847 times
I've owned and ridden a moter cycle for over 20 years. Never had insurance. Never rode without a helmet. Insurance is a scam, and riding without a helmet is just plain stupid, law or no law.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:51 PM

200 posts, read 680,693 times
Hi Pirate Girl - I sent you a private message. Yes that is us. We have met the neatest people as RiderCoaches of the MSF program. Great students - hired other RiderCoaches who want to share the passion of riding, too. BLAST! I have ridden mc since I was 10 and I am now 50 and I t hought I knew everything (giggle) and WOW DID I LEARN A LOT!!! I am such a better rider now!! MUCH BETTER!!!!!!! We loved it so much that my husband and I became nationally certified instructors about 5 years ago. Great course! Learn how to handle "situations" and be more in control, etc....best part you meet fellow motorcyclists. From "NEWBIES" to "OLDIES". We also taught an ERC (Experienced RiderCourse) for folks who have ridden but want to sharpen their riding skills. Learn how to ride slowly with precision - anyone can ride fast BUT it is the SLOW SKILLS that are challenging but OH SO FUN when you achieve them!!! Sorry - became an ad for MSF! Did not mean to - I just have passion for riding smart and safe.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:42 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,089,599 times
Check the following: http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/Motorcycles/intro.html (broken link)

Moped operators do not have to carry PIP insurance.

MOTOR VEHICLE INSURANCE

Florida's mandatory Personal Injury Protection insurance does not apply to motorcycles. Street legal motorcycles with three (3) wheels and motorcycles with attached sidecars are also exempt from this compulsory insurance requirement. The voluntary purchase of motor vehicle liability insurance is recommended for your protection and the protection of other persons. Failure to carry liability insurance can result in the loss of your driver license, tag(s), and registration(s) if you are involved in a traffic accident, convicted of DUI or other occurrences as defined in the Financial Responsibility Law, Chapter 324, Florida Statutes.

Persons at least 21 years of age may ride a motorcycle without a helmet if they can show proof of medical (health) insurance coverage (Motorcycle Medical Policy card or other forms of health insurance coverage, such as employee group or private health insurance cards) in the amounts of at least $10,000.00 that will pay for their injuries in a crash.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 10,982 times
Default RECOMMENDATION for MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE

I've moved to Florida from NY and I want to register my motorcycle in state. I was paying just over $400 per year to insure my 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500cc. I am looking into insurance and I cannot believe the price quotes for the same coverage: $1,000 - $1,500 per year! Is this correct? I have no accidents, citations, etc. Would anyone be able to recommend an insurance company or agent that would be able to give me a more realistic $$$ quote? Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida