Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 07:07 PM

4 posts, read 11,592 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I have been thinking about leaving Seattle and moving to Florida for the past few years. It's a big, long move for us, but it seems like it would be worth it. Seattle is a beautiful city, but the weather is terrible (since we like sunny weather), traffic is horrific, and house prices are outrageous. We are seriously considering this move, but we wouldn't want to go all that way without doing our research first. I'm an accounting manager for a publicly traded company. Would it be difficult for me to find a position there?

Basically, we are looking to move to the coastal region (either the Atlantic side or the Tampa/St. Petersburg area), and what we really want to know more about is the quality of life there...

We really want to hear from Floridians...the good and the bad of living there. We want to know both the pros/cons, and primiarly about the crime levels/rates there, what kinds of crime, other dangers (i.e. are there certain areas of Miami/Tampa/St. Petersburg/Jacksonville/any of the larger cities that are 'no-go' areas? Is it a west nile virus prone region? How bad are the hurricanes? etc.)

Please let us know of websites or links to this type of info.

Thanks for your help,
doubleonethree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 06:51 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,158,920 times
doubleonethree,
I've lived in South Florida for over 30 years. I am in Broward county, Fort Lauderdale area. Please, stay north of Palm Beach if you are looking for lack of traffic and quiet living. South Florida is a mess (in my opinoin). I've seen it grow so much especially in the last few years.
Insurance and property taxes are OUTRAGEOUS. And housiing is not in any way cheap. Very expensive, for most, especially coastal. Traffic is unbelieveable. We are relocating out of Florida because it just isn't for us anymore. Too crowded, streets are a mess,neighbors on top of us (eventhough we are not a zero lot line), lots of damage from last years hurricanes still not repaired. Makes me sad to drive down the streets I've known all my life and see them such a mess. Electricity is extremely high. Although you won't be paying alot for heat, most people here run thier a/c almost year round.
We are looking to relocate somewhere that if you forget to lock your car up at night, everything will be there in the morning. People can be very mean here in South Florida. Everybody is in such a hurry. Just frustrating.
When we talk to our friends about relocating, thier reply is always... it will take you 20 minutes to get to the store. Well, I live 2 blocks from our local grocery store and it still takes 15 minutes to get into the parking lot due to traffic. I'll trade mountain scenery for traffic anyday.
My opinion stay north or north west.
Good Luck,
theqbaby

Old 07-25-2006, 08:43 AM

3 posts, read 12,010 times
Default Don't move to S. Florida!

DoubleOneThree,
I "ditto" everything theqbaby has in his reply. I've lived in Broward County for 30 years and can't wait to get out of here - just have to find a nice area where I can relocate. Broward County is way overdeveloped without the infrastructure to support the increase in people. Cost of living is OUTRAGEOUS and the wages have not kept up with escalating costs down here. There is NO AFFORDABLE housing in any decent areas, despite what our mayor says. People are rude, everyone in a hurry all the time. We have the worst drivers in the country! Hurricane season last year was a nightmare and it's so, so nervewrecking when you have to prepare for one. Summers are so hot and long - I pretty much run my A/C 365 days per year. You basically run from A/C to A/C. I grew up in Ohio and never spent as much time indoors as I do down here. You can't believe or trust people here - everyone is out to make a quick buck and they don't care what they need to do to make it. Anything weird that seems to happens, happens in South Florida. I sometimes think all this sun brings out the "bad" in people. There are good people who live here but it's very difficult trying to establish relationships. All of my close friends left the area years ago and moved back up North - they don't miss it at all. Florida is a nice place to visit on vacation, but living here on a daily basis is very, very difficult. There seems to be quite a few people now wanting to leave the area. My suggestion to you would be "Don't move to South Florida".

Sincerely,
LMastree

Old 07-25-2006, 03:19 PM

423 posts, read 1,642,667 times
With due respect to other fellow posters.. I would say, florida still has a lot to offer. Remember nothing is perfect and things change over time. You can't compare it to what it used to be 30 yrs ago.

I have been living in broward (now in Palm Beach county) for almost 10 years... sure there is a lot of traffic here but so is the case with any other major city in the country... try New York, Chicago, Atlanta or even Orlando etc. Sure it gets hot but compare that to what is the current heat in CA and it you won't sweat it 2 much

My only suggestion would be to take your time to visit the place.. infact visit it at least a couple of times.... Take time to find not only what city but what area you want to live and you will be set

Old 07-26-2006, 07:43 PM

10 posts, read 42,895 times
forget traffic what about getting insurance??? HA!
The taxes on a 350,000 dollar house (minimum for a good area) will be at least 7000!

Old 07-26-2006, 07:52 PM

27 posts, read 167,284 times
I agree with the 1st 2 posts.... your best is to go North of Florida. You will pay much less in taxes and insurances the more North you are. There is also less humidity up there, a BIG bonus for Florida

I live in the Tampa Bay area and the prices I pay are a little lower then my parents who live in SW FL.

I, myself am comtemplating moving a bit more North just to get away from the crowd. Not out of state (I'd never leave) just more North.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:36 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,160 times
Wink try sarasota

Ya might think about Sarasota which is a bit south of Tampa but less crime and traffic. We do lock our house at night, but live in a nice small subdivision (non-gated), and leave everything open during the day. We have a fair number of stayathome moms and retired folk here, so there's always neighbors out and about. Tampa and Miami are two of the highest insurance areas in all of Florida, so you might take that into consideration with your choice of location. Good luck with your search, there are lots of other cities in Florida that will meet your needs with less worries.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:02 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleonethree
Hi,

My husband and I have been thinking about leaving Seattle and moving to Florida for the past few years. It's a big, long move for us, but it seems like it would be worth it. Seattle is a beautiful city, but the weather is terrible (since we like sunny weather), traffic is horrific, and house prices are outrageous. We are seriously considering this move, but we wouldn't want to go all that way without doing our research first. I'm an accounting manager for a publicly traded company. Would it be difficult for me to find a position there?

Basically, we are looking to move to the coastal region (either the Atlantic side or the Tampa/St. Petersburg area), and what we really want to know more about is the quality of life there...

We really want to hear from Floridians...the good and the bad of living there. We want to know both the pros/cons, and primiarly about the crime levels/rates there, what kinds of crime, other dangers (i.e. are there certain areas of Miami/Tampa/St. Petersburg/Jacksonville/any of the larger cities that are 'no-go' areas? Is it a west nile virus prone region? How bad are the hurricanes? etc.)

Please let us know of websites or links to this type of info.

Thanks for your help,
doubleonethree
Hi there. My husband and his family moved from the Seattle area tto the Tampa area years ago and I don't think I can recall any regrets being mentioned. I lived in the Tampa/ Clw area for 34 yrs. and I do think there is much good to be said for it. You didn't say what kind of lifestyle you were looking for... Quiet... Nightlife...Country.... City. But, as far as "no-go" areas... Each of the places you mention has them and (as far as I know) each has good areas as well. I think an honest realtor could help with that. Regarding hurricanes, I don't mean in anyway to make light oft them- We've all seen what they can do. However, after 34 yrs in Clearwater... I can say, we never experienced anything awful. Our area never experienced a direct hit. I don't know about West Nile prone places. I do know that many areas spray for mosquitos. Some cities/ counties have a regular schedule of doing so. You will probably hear other experiences and I can only give you mine, but again, I never had a particularly bad situation with them either. From what I gather, Seattle is kind of costly, so maybe the new higher pricing on homes/ insurance etc... will not differ too much from what you are used to. Sun, you will get. Color... tropical feel... beaches... It is there. I moved last year with my husband's job. We don't have an urge to go back. We love the adventure and I wanted snow! Plus, we really like the lower cost of living elsewhere. Yet, I still give FL high marks. I have much family still there and they haven't been affected by hurricanes or the West Nile virus. Hope this helped. Good luck to you.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:19 PM

6 posts, read 29,987 times
Default Give it a look

I live in South Florida. I love it here--the weather is great--I love warm sunny weather--use A/C 4 months a year, have windows open the other 8. Swim and play sports 12 months a year. Winters here are hands down the best in the country. I have an uncle who left Ohio to live in Seattle(Kirkland), he said the scenery was breathtaking but the weather was unbearably dreary. He moved to Boca Raton about 8 years ago, found comparable paying work in his field (sales),loves it here, no regrets, says housing in Seattle wasn't cheap either.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:46 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Default relocating

I would check out the New Tampa, and Wesley Chapel area.

You stil, now, may find good prices on a home. The traffic here is bad, however, more and more is moving into this area. BeWare of the coast.

Insurance etc.

judy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida