Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,881,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
We kind of just stumbled into where we bought....very unlike me, who is known to spend hours researching the death out of things.
Frank
I'm the same way -- I research the life out of things, but we stumbled onto this house -- I found it on the real estate section of Ocala.com in April. But by the time I called the listing agent, there was an offer on it. I made arrangements to come down ant look at other houses during the first week of June, and the week prior, the house was back on the market (short sale which fell through). We looked at it (as well as 9 other properties), and the day after I was back home in NJ, we made an offer. We closed in August, and moved here the week of Thanksgiving (Thanksgiving dinner was takeout from Bob Evans) because I refused to leave NJ until the World Series was over, which was a good move on my part -- I'm still basking in the glory of a Yankee win, even though Brian Cashman broke my heart by not re-signing Matsui (let's see -- who's a better DH -- Matsui or Nick Johnson? Duh...), by trading Melky Cabrera, who was clutch all year for the Yanks, to Atlanta for Javy Vasquez, who has already proven he can't pitch in New York, and he ticked me off even further by letting the Red Sox sign John Lackey.

But I digress....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,244,356 times
Please mention the town you moved to in Florida.

Thanks.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,726,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Chris I believe you have lived a several areas of Florida if I am not mistaken and can be fantastic value to those who are looking or want to move to Florida.
Oh yes, I have been all over the place here, working in apartment management we have moved all over the place. It is like that in this line of work(well it used to be, now you stay put with the way things are). I have been in:

Winter Park
Winter Springs
Melbourne
Palm Bay
Rockledge
Lake Wales
Bradenton
Cape Coral
Naples
Fort Myers
Vero Beach
and now Estero

Top3 are
Estero
Vero Beach
Melbourne

Bottom 3 are
Naples
Naples
and Naples

Yeah, I dispise Naples... Unless it is to go to Walmart.....

Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,744,290 times
Quote:
I often wondered this.

I know jobs and schools are important to people but I wonder what makes you pick the town you moved to?
Crestview, Fl. in the Panhandle : Strong christian values ,great majority of people love God and have a personal relationship with him , no snow , moderate temps in the winter , close to incredible beaches, real estate very cheap , smaller town, close to relatives, less stress than a major city, convenient to major highways/interstate , I live in the woods where its secluded and quiet --- drastic change from where i lived last in the Midwest.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 PM

9,487 posts, read 16,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Crestview, Fl. in the Panhandle : Strong christian values ,great majority of people love God and have a personal relationship with him , no snow , moderate temps in the winter , close to incredible beaches, real estate very cheap , smaller town, close to relatives, less stress than a major city, convenient to major highways/interstate , I live in the woods where its secluded and quiet --- drastic change from where i lived last in the Midwest.

I remember having a roomate in the Air Force that was from Crestview. I never forgot him because he scared me to death. He was so intolerant of anyone and everyone that didn't fit the picture you just just described. I lasted one month and managed to get other accomodations. Im sure Crestview is nice but when I saw it mentioned here I immediately remembered this person. Mainly because I don't think I have heard of Crestview since. I certainly hope he has learned to ease up on his views of people not like him. It sounds like a nice peaceful area removed from all the big population areas of the state. Glad you like it there.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:58 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,244,356 times
Selfish bump to get more input.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,220,156 times
Quote:
Please mention the town you moved to in Florida.

Thanks.
She did. Dunnellon.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 PM

807 posts, read 3,173,725 times
Quote:
Selfish bump to get more input.
nothing wrong with a selfish bump...lol

Old 01-07-2010, 07:16 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,330,138 times
We liked the canopied oaks entwined with palm trees. It didn't hit us in the eye like South Florida as being harshly tropical. We considered JAX but it's in some sort of rain band. Whenever there's a weather disturbance in the southern states, it seems to be raining in JAX. Actually, we've never been to Jacksonville when it wasn't raining.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 AM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
We liked the canopied oaks entwined with palm trees. It didn't hit us in the eye like South Florida as being harshly tropical. We considered JAX but it's in some sort of rain band. Whenever there's a weather disturbance in the southern states, it seems to be raining in JAX. Actually, we've never been to Jacksonville when it wasn't raining.
That's the look I like too - I describe it as "old south meets the tropics." It looks that way a lot in Bradenton, and in Sarasota, too. But going much further south the big trees start to dwindle and there are more palms. While I am a native, I have moved around a bit in the state, and really love the whole west central region (expanded Tampa Bay area). If I were to go to the east coast, it would probably be Vero, or possibly St. Augustine, but definitely nowhere in So. Florida on either coast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida