Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 06:56 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,892,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It can get hot and humid but I have never felt like it was THAT big a problem and I have lived here all my life. There are places that could be much much worse. That is only my opinion.
Mine, as well. We found it MUCH hotter in the Raleigh area.....as it often times was and there was no breeze. Just stagnant, thick, humid, hot air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 06:58 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Mine, as well. We found it MUCH hotter in the Raleigh area.....as it often times was and there was no breeze. Just stagnant, thick, humid, hot air.
I guess it really sucks living in inland Florida...which is the same as what you just described.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:20 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Seemed pretty nice out again today. People are active all day in our neighborhood with walking, speed cycling, jogging, boating, jet skiing and at the sports fields. We are located in a densely maturely landscaped neighborhood, on a lake and only three miles from the gulf......so I think it helps with the breeze every day and having lots of shade. Big difference in feel from shade to sun.
Yes, I was just telling my husband how much nicer it was today. It felt almost cool outside this morning and then it was only in the 80s in the afternoon. And tonight I went outside and it still felt OK. And we too are in a treesy neighborhood a couple blocks from Sarasota Bay so we enjoy some nice breezes.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I guess it really sucks living in inland Florida...which is the same as what you just described.
Living near the coast was a MUST for us. I would never want to live inland again. If I never had, then maybe for a change.....but we see so many benefits to being so close to the coast.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:28 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
Quote:
Living near the coast was a MUST for us. I would never want to live inland again. If I never had, then maybe for a change.....but we see so many benefits to being so close to the coast.
Not everyone can do that, though. There are hundreds of thousands of people who live inland in Florida. And it's hard to argue that Florida isn't hotter/more unpleasant than other places in that case.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Not everyone can do that, though. There are hundreds of thousands of people who live inland in Florida. And it's hard to argue that Florida isn't hotter/more unpleasant than other places in that case.
I am just posting how I like it. Others may have different likes and dislikes.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:23 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,009 times
It's interesting to note that millions of European tourists are quite happy to spend their summer vacations in Florida without resorting to living inside A/C buildings 24/7.
And they keep coming back year after year,with families including young kids to enjoy weather that some people on here permanently complain about.
So it gets hot and humid.So what ?
Europe regularly gets heatwaves that can and do kill lots of people and this summer temperatures have been over 100f in many countries.
Yet people still take their summer holidays in places such as Greece which doesn't have A/C in every building.
I can't help thinking that many people over here retreat behind A/C and spend the summer complaining about the weather rather than adapting to and enjoying it.
Maybe we've all gone a bit soft and flabby.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:40 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,340,787 times
You know what? There is a HUGE difference in getting a heat wave once every half decade that kills hundreds because you simply aren't used to it being that hot and Florida where it is steaming hot from May until the start of November. Sometimes even December.

Our sweet spot for tourists is the winter for a reason. The weather is great. However we pay for it in the summer with sweltering temps and high humidity. Not too mention lots of rain. Do we get summer tourists? Sure. Its winter down south of the equator. Nothing like what we see in our winter time though. Why? Because the weather kind of sucks. Is it worth it? Mostly depending on where you come from and what you want.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:15 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
You know what? There is a HUGE difference in getting a heat wave once every half decade that kills hundreds because you simply aren't used to it being that hot and Florida where it is steaming hot from May until the start of November. Sometimes even December.

Our sweet spot for tourists is the winter for a reason. The weather is great. However we pay for it in the summer with sweltering temps and high humidity. Not too mention lots of rain. Do we get summer tourists? Sure. Its winter down south of the equator. Nothing like what we see in our winter time though. Why? Because the weather kind of sucks. Is it worth it? Mostly depending on where you come from and what you want.
It's blisteringly hot in Southern Europe every July and August.
What people in those situations do is close down during the heat of the day and take a siesta.They eat much later in the evening and things stay open much later so people can enjoy the lower temperatures of the evening.
What they're doing is working with nature instead of trying to defeat it which,of course,they'll never do.
Florida goes to bed at 9pm.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:40 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
It's blisteringly hot in Southern Europe every July and August.
What people in those situations do is close down during the heat of the day and take a siesta.They eat much later in the evening and things stay open much later so people can enjoy the lower temperatures of the evening.
What they're doing is working with nature instead of trying to defeat it which,of course,they'll never do.
Florida goes to bed at 9pm.
You are 100% correct, Roscoe. My ancestors and relatives are/were from Spain, and that is exactly how they live. It is scorchingly hot in Spain in mid-day, so they close up and take a siesta, reopen and stay late and eat very late. Totally live with nature, and most places don't have AC. The amount of complaining about the heat people do on this forum is absolutely mind-boggling. And truth be told, if they live somewhere cold they complain about that too.

And like you said, I encounter a LOT of people from Europe here, places like England where it tends to stay cool and misty - and they LOVE THE HEAT HERE! I never here them complaining! People in the US are too damned spoiled or something, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida