Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times

Advertisements

Governor declares state of emergency : St. Augustine local news StAugustine Florida news

Do you think this is necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 06:59 PM

160 posts, read 498,652 times
A lot of the crops are being destroyed in Central Florida by the freeze, I assume this is one of the main reasons why.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Well, he sucks at everything else, he has to do something to show he is still alive....LOL.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:18 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Personally speaking, I think Floridians easily get bent out of shape when it gets below 32 f. The level of complaining ive heard in stores lately about the Florida 'cold' , would need to be -5 f. and a 40 mph wind for northern Illinoisians to voice a simular level of concern . Just run a trickle of water out each faucet and put on a wool hat when going outside ... and be thankful youre not having to run a snowblower 3-4 times per week.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:31 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
^^^^ Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:38 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,726,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Well, he sucks at everything else, he has to do something to show he is still alive....LOL.
No LOL. Nothing is funny. Half the state is under a Freeze Warning, the other half is under a freeze watch. 32 degrees is 32 degrees. That is cold. Freezing. So yes, I can see where he would do this.

The crops are being destroyed because of this. That's what this pertains too.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:41 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Personally speaking, I think Floridians easily get bent out of shape when it gets below 32 f. The level of complaining ive heard in stores lately about the Florida 'cold' , would need to be -5 f. and a 40 mph wind for northern Illinoisians to voice a simular level of concern . Just run a trickle of water out each faucet and put on a wool hat when going outside ... and be thankful youre not having to run a snowblower 3-4 times per week.
If you had bothered to look at the order you would have seen that it attends to protection of the state's agriculture more than anything else.

You have got to understand that it is colder here than it has ever been. Whether that is cold to YOU is irrelevant. People are not prepared for it to be this cold. I have had to drive my son to the bus stop the past few mornings because he doesn't have a winter coat. He doesn't even have what I would have worn as a fall coat when I lived in NY. So while I would have sent my kids to the bus stop in NY when it was much colder than it is here, I won't send them out here. Not because I am a big old baby, but because I just don't have the right clothing for them.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Yes with millions of dollars going down the tube as another hit on the states economy. It's not rocket science to know it is going to hurt. Maybe if economics was a required subject to get a drivers license more people might have a clue just what is happening to
FL jobs and produce. Then the utility bills on retired seniors on fixed incomes in the panhandle and northern FL where the temp will be in the mid teens tonight is not helping either. Shame there is no requirement for thinking before posting on this forum.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Yes with millions of dollars going down the tube as another hit on the states economy. It's not rocket science to know it is going to hurt. Maybe if economics was a required subject to get a drivers license more people might have a clue just what is happening to
FL jobs and produce. Then the utility bills on retired seniors on fixed incomes in the panhandle and northern FL where the temp will be in the mid teens tonight is not helping either. Shame there is no requirement for thinking before posting on this forum.
I agree with you. I think this is a serious situation. A local plant nursery near me says that they have already lost up to 10,000 dollars worth of revenue because of this. I also heard on the news that these past few nights OUC (orlando utilities) has reached record energy usage these last several nights due to everyone cranking up their heaters, people need to prepare for some high power bills.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:17 PM

867 posts, read 2,138,890 times
I'm really not sure that's neccesary and I'm not just saying that as someone who lives in a four season climate if that happened in ANY other state I'd say the same thing unless there's SIGNIFICANT damage done it's pretty much just a waste of money tax dollars at work right *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida