Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:37 AM

729 posts, read 1,301,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Drove through the Lakeland the other day to check out some cars at a dealership and was not impressed whatsoever. In fact, drove through a couple of neighborhoods and was outright concerned for my well-being. I've driven through a lot of bad neigborhoods, but this town seems outright depressed. Didn't even think I was in Florida anymore (more like Detroit).
Sounds like you were in the 4 square mile heart of central city (which hasn't looked good since the 80's) and didn't see much else. Detroit! You'd be hard-pressed to find anything in Florida that looks that bad, let alone in Lakeland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 09:22 PM

147 posts, read 211,917 times
You obviously did not drive through the Lakeland I've known and loved for many years. Just like any other town, there are good and bad areas. Most people commenting here have done nothing more than drive through the town on I-4. I would highly advise you to visit and check out our beautiful city. It's a great town. I was raised here and have raised my children here and have absolutely no complaints. We now have three GREAT universities including Florida Southern, Southeastern University and the new highly anticipated Florida Polytechnic.

Downtown Lakeland | Shopping, Dining, Entertainment, and Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Drove through the Lakeland the other day to check out some cars at a dealership and was not impressed whatsoever. In fact, drove through a couple of neighborhoods and was outright concerned for my well-being. I've driven through a lot of bad neigborhoods, but this town seems outright depressed. Didn't even think I was in Florida anymore (more like Detroit).

Old 03-11-2016, 04:06 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
The OP started this thread 5 months ago and never returned. She probably visited Lakeland and witnessed the extreme poverty, run down areas, meth addicts, unfriendly natives, rude people, backwardness, etc first hand.

South Lakeland and downtown are ok but you have to go through the run down areas to get to them. Overall I'd say to stay away from Polk County and find a place in Tampa or Orlando if you MUST move to Florida (which I don't recommend). Of course as more and more northerners move to Lakeland it will slowly get better and the backwards Bubba way of life will fade. It still has a long way to go though imho.

One really great positive though is that this area has a lot of beautiful parks and lakes. There are plenty of areas here to enjoy the outdoors and to view the abundant wildlife.

Still I'd never recommend this area to people with children. Too many drug addicts, child molesters, and people with a lack of common decency.
Though I don't live in Florida (I live in the Charlotte area but have visited FL regularly since 1977 when I was 12 years old), I am a Southerner. I am so thankful for such benevolent Northerners as yourself to find it in your hearts to leave the perfect oasis' of civilization and culture (The North) and move here to the utter cesspool of America called the South. We're so grateful that you're willing to come here to civilize us, save us from our blissful ignorance, and turn us away from our "backwards" living. I have no idea why anyone from up North would want to come here. Cities such as NYC, DC, and Cleveland and the like are so crime-free, totally rid of ghettos, and have a kindness and respect for others and their ways of life like no other people. I know just how kind-hearted you all are by the vast numbers who are coming here and leaving paradise behind. Without you and other fellow Northerners who are like minded as yourself, we would never know that we were such "Bubba's". The close-knit communities, our great jobs, strong economies, great buying power (average salaries vs. cost of living), etc., etc., etc.; It had us all fooled. Living like this for several generations, I just though this was because we were smart, had a good work ethic, and great family/community bonds. But I was clearly wrong. It was because of you and anyone else who has moved here from outside of the South. I truly and utterly appreciate that so much. I know I speak for all Southerners when I say, Thank You!

Old 05-02-2016, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,473 times
Come to Pembroke Pines Florida or Miramar in South Florida. You will have no regrets. Beautiful cities ti raise your family..

Old 05-02-2016, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,473 times
We boast some beautiful gated communities. A rated schools. Magnificent landscapes and the people are warm and friendly. You will definitely find a job anywhere in surrounding areas. There are lots of hospitals, schools, churches, parks, pools, community gyms, you name it..

Old 05-02-2016, 08:15 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Though I don't live in Florida (I live in the Charlotte area but have visited FL regularly since 1977 when I was 12 years old), I am a Southerner. I am so thankful for such benevolent Northerners as yourself to find it in your hearts to leave the perfect oasis' of civilization and culture (The North) and move here to the utter cesspool of America called the South. We're so grateful that you're willing to come here to civilize us, save us from our blissful ignorance, and turn us away from our "backwards" living. I have no idea why anyone from up North would want to come here. Cities such as NYC, DC, and Cleveland and the like are so crime-free, totally rid of ghettos, and have a kindness and respect for others and their ways of life like no other people. I know just how kind-hearted you all are by the vast numbers who are coming here and leaving paradise behind. Without you and other fellow Northerners who are like minded as yourself, we would never know that we were such "Bubba's". The close-knit communities, our great jobs, strong economies, great buying power (average salaries vs. cost of living), etc., etc., etc.; It had us all fooled. Living like this for several generations, I just though this was because we were smart, had a good work ethic, and great family/community bonds. But I was clearly wrong. It was because of you and anyone else who has moved here from outside of the South. I truly and utterly appreciate that so much. I know I speak for all Southerners when I say, Thank You!
Your very welcome. Bless your heart.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:38 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
My mom and sister used to live in Lakeland Highlands; one of the absolute best places I've ever seen in Central FL.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:40 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,142,805 times
Lakeland is full of drugs and crime.

Stay away from Polk County.

Move to Tallahassee.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:17 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,525,681 times
I'd stay away from Lakeland. Too many northeners come down here, buy a trailer in a trailer park in a not so nice area, do there shopping in the same run down area, and then wanna complain about it. I'd say 90% of the people that live in these old trailer parks are from up north.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,020 times
I moved to lakeland in June of 2017. I came here for a "guaranteed job." A very popular company actually,I won't post the name,however they lied to me and all kinda' bad Soo....I had saved money I LOVE Florida,I moved here for the job and the rent etc. is cheap. well....lesson learned. This place is AWFUL,the people are extremely uneducated,rude,kinda scum of the earth. You cannot have a conversation with any of them because they can't articulate and have no idea about common use of the English language. I choose a the place I live because it's cheap,well yet another lesson. Total ghetto,barrio,havta' watch your cars,your house,everything!!. When hurricane Irma hit we were one of the counties that had no power for 9 days,my landlord shut off our water,it's city water so he had no right. Of course no rain that week it was SO hot and we had to live with no plumbing as well. The city actually made it a condemned area,which was good because it brought those awesome linemen quicker. I was able to obtain other employment,that was ugly as well,I was worked like a mule,9,10,11 hours straight,in a fast paced environment,with no breaks,if I had to use the restroom,forget it,hold it!! (no lie) I was yelled at,cussed at by inarticulate hillbilly methhead folks. My "boss" was not even an american! I can can go on for hours about the employment,it's NOT easy or pleasant. I am out of this county just as soon as humanly possible. I DO NOT recommend to anyone who wants to raise children,go to surrounding areas ie; clearwater ,tampa, orlando etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida