Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 05:09 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,835 times

Advertisements

Was just wondering if you thought posters on City-Data forum are just depressed? Or do they really not like where they live? People really just seem to complain so much, especially here on the Florida forum. Perhaps, people can lobby and help change what makes them so unhappy about living in a place like Florida. I personally do not like the way growth has happened here. I hate the summer humidity! However, every place has its positive and negatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 05:15 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
Just what we needed!!!! Another thread complaining about negativity!!!

I'm beginning to wonder who really has the problems with depression here...

Seriously mods, let's start a sub-forum under the Florida heading for "Threads complaining about negative posters" because this is seriously rediculous...

Old 07-02-2007, 05:18 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,353 times
You should come to Montreal, we are having a bit of a cool summer. I am sitting with the patio doors open and the breeze coming in is actually feeling cold..
We are also having a down pour right now, grass is green, green, green and growing like crazy.

In the five years we have lived here, I do not remember such a cool summer. It is nice at night to have the windows open and feel that cool breeze coming in. I will miss that when we move.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:26 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,920 times
To answer your question, yes, some of these folks have "issues" that go way beyond Florida. Many people have made suggestions on how they can improve their lives but they always come up with reasons why the suggestions won't work--that's a sign of depression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
Was just wondering if you thought posters on City-Data forum are just depressed? Or do they really not like where they live? People really just seem to complain so much, especially here on the Florida forum. Perhaps, people can lobby and help change what makes them so unhappy about living in a place like Florida. I personally do not like the way growth has happened here. I hate the summer humidity! However, every place has its positive and negatives.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:07 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
To answer your question, yes, some of these folks have "issues" that go way beyond Florida. Many people have made suggestions on how they can improve their lives but they always come up with reasons why the suggestions won't work--that's a sign of depression.
An internet psychiatrist..... Well there's a new one....

What makes more sense???

That someone has lived in Florida, doesn't like it and voices that opinion when prompted and is thus "depressed".

OR

That someone who DOESN'T live in Florida but plans on moving there soon needs SO badly to believe that Florida is wonderful that it activates a defense mechanism in the brain that discounts anyone complaining about Florida as "Depressed".

I know my vote.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:37 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post

What makes more sense???

That someone has lived in Florida, doesn't like it and voices that opinion when prompted and is thus "depressed".

OR

That someone who DOESN'T live in Florida but plans on moving there soon needs SO badly to believe that Florida is wonderful that it activates a defense mechanism in the brain that discounts anyone complaining about Florida as "Depressed".

I know my vote.
My vote also

Old 07-02-2007, 07:04 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,920 times
I was not referring to you, if that's what you're assuming...

When someone is posting repeatedly on here that they are considering suicide because of Florida, I don't have to be a psych. to know they're depressed. They would be depressed anywhere until they get treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post

What makes more sense???

OR

I know my vote.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:17 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,127 times
Just because someone is unhappy with the city they are living in Florida doesn't make them depressed, a complainer, or negative; however, I will say that the more I visit the Forum - Florida, in particular - the more I am beginning to feel depressed. That is not because I am one of the "life is what you make of it", or "All of Florida is paradise" posters because I am not. If people are noticing there is more negativity on the FL Forum than on other states, that is something to pay attention to and consider - - perhaps there is validity to it.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:19 PM

262 posts, read 937,700 times
To go back to the original question: are City-Data forumers more depressed....

After reading quite a number of posts here, I would definitely say no. What it seems to me is that the people who come on here are for the most part thoughtful people who like to discuss all matter of things.

You can love where you live and still find things that drive you batty about it. Or may be seriously Over It and just need a place to vent.

Just my op.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:22 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
I think if you go to the Texas forums, you will find that people out of Houston and Dallas are quite happy with the place in which they live...it's a raging debate a/b which city is nicer and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: