Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bubble Meter - place your votes
No Bubble 6 2.99%
Soft Correction (10% or less) 76 37.81%
Hard Correction (10% or more) 87 43.28%
Crash 32 15.92%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
They do list the selling price correctly. When they do an evaluation of what a home is valued at, they are way off.
A perfect example....a friend of mine sold her home last April in California....Zillow said her home was valued ALOT higher than what she actually was able to sell it for at that time. Home was only 4 years old!! Crazy.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:02 AM

94 posts, read 418,367 times
Default Some housing news

The October existing home sales numbers are out. “The price of existing homes sold in October fell for the third straight month and posted the biggest drop on record, according to an industry trade group report. The number of homes sold in the month is down 11.5 percent from the pace of sales a year earlier which led to the glut of homes on the market rising once again to a record 3.9 million, up 1.9 percent from September, and 34.4 percent from a year earlier.”

The median price for a home sold dropped to $221,000 in October, a decline of 3.5 percent from a year ago. That was the biggest year-over-year price decline on record. It marked the third straight month that home prices have fallen compared to the same period a year ago, the longest stretch of such declines on record.”

Old 11-28-2006, 11:37 AM

208 posts, read 974,610 times
Ok so let's put the other side of the news out for everyone to read:

"Sales of existing U.S. homes rose 0.5% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 6.24 million in October, the first increase since February, the National Association of Realtors reported Tuesday."

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/rise-existing-home-sales-first-since/story.aspx?guid=%7B553B8779-45AD-4616-B20A-17CF6BA8D90C%7D</url>

"As expected, existing-home sales appear to be stabilizing, fingers and toes crossed," said David Lereah, chief economist for the Realtors. Market fundamentals are improving, he said.

So basically the fact that home prices are dropping is a good thing, according to this article, because it encourages sales now that prices are more realistic. While this doesn't mean we've bottomed out, I feel like the news from today is actually more positive than negative.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:42 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,814 times
If you're looking to buy a place that you're gonna live in for 5-10 years or more then buy whenever you're ready to. No sense in trying to time the market hoping for a windfall, praying for a 10% decline in prices in the next year that may never come while you spend another year paying rent. If not, then this doesn't apply to you.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:51 AM

208 posts, read 974,610 times
I'll second that. Sellers in the spring will be less likely to throw in incentives like paying closing costs, paying down the rate, etc. I don't mean to disparate anyone selling their homes right now, but buyers have such an edge right now that you can probably offer 10-15% less than asking price and get a deal done pretty quickly. That is not going to last forever.

And trust me, I get nothing out of making these points. I'm a computer geek so I'm just trying to help anyone who might be thinking about buying in the next year.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:57 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,554 times
Default It is crazy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
A perfect example....a friend of mine sold her home last April in California....Zillow said her home was valued ALOT higher than what she actually was able to sell it for at that time. Home was only 4 years old!! Crazy.

I don't know where they get their figures from!!!!

Old 11-28-2006, 01:40 PM

68 posts, read 226,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoresubways View Post
I'll second that. Sellers in the spring will be less likely to throw in incentives like paying closing costs, paying down the rate, etc. I don't mean to disparate anyone selling their homes right now, but buyers have such an edge right now that you can probably offer 10-15% less than asking price and get a deal done pretty quickly. That is not going to last forever.

And trust me, I get nothing out of making these points. I'm a computer geek so I'm just trying to help anyone who might be thinking about buying in the next year.
“In 2006 alone, more than 15 percent of new home loans in South Florida were what is known as ‘payment-option adjustable-rate.’ The real hikes are likely to arrive en masse by next summer, when payments go up for more people.”

“‘’People will avoid foreclosure at whatever cost because it ruins your credit,’ said Ana Valenti-Brisuela, a South Miami real estate broker who also does financial planning. ‘But some, especially those who bought at the peak of the market last year, are going to sell for $50,000 or $100,000 less than they bought for in order to save their credit.’”

Old 11-28-2006, 03:25 PM

628 posts, read 1,833,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
If you're looking to buy a place that you're gonna live in for 5-10 years or more then buy whenever you're ready to. No sense in trying to time the market hoping for a windfall, praying for a 10% decline in prices in the next year that may never come while you spend another year paying rent. If not, then this doesn't apply to you.
How well said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-28-2006, 03:27 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,554 times
Default Oh I agree with that too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
How well said!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why wait to buy??? If you are staying put for a while the houses are affordable right now. If you wait you may loose out on a great deal.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:14 PM

628 posts, read 1,833,449 times
Clearly home sales and now price are trending downward but look at what’s happening . Home prices drop sales increase. So there are buyers out there. Tricky rabbits there hiding. And BTW isn’t this exactly what we need to get more in line with affordability.

However lets look at the number up / down /or sideways

October 2006 Sale Price of existing homes = $221K Clearly down from October 2005 = 229k. But what about the entire year for 2005. We have a one month year over year picture here and BTW September’s number was revised upward to 211k but still a decline from the previous September (225.4k) of 1.9%

The sale price of an existing home for all of 2005 was $219,600

So let’s see here In October 2006 we have 221k and back in all of 2005 we have 219.6 Hum still higher than the best record in history.

I’m not saying we’re not looking at further declines and in fact if you read my pervious posts I feel that a roll back to q1 – of 05 is in order (and I hope we get it) but for now we have just slowed down to 35 mph from 150mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida