Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:34 PM

23 posts, read 72,873 times

Advertisements

i am Okie44's shoes here. my fiance and i are both in the restaurant/bar industry up here in NJ. we're getting by, but it seems like FL is a smart move for us. we have been to Jax and Tampa in the past. both areas seemed like decent "touristy" areas with lots of food/bev places.

he works for Bonefish Grill, so transferring shouldnt be a problem. i work for Charlie Brown's. anyone from NY/NJ/PA knows what Charlie Brown's is.

he also has certifications in HVAC, plumbing, and is a custodian in the public school system up here. but if we were to move to FL, we would be starting out in restaurants.

Smart move or no???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,180 times
I thought you were going to the Key's

Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 AM

23 posts, read 72,873 times
no, we have no desire to live at the keys. we just have a similar story to okie44

Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,194 times
We're originally from FL, but we moved away for 13 months and couldnt be happier to be back! We were from South Florida, but we've settled into the Ponte Vedra Beach area and just absolutely love it. It's gorgeous here and everything we wanted. We kept lots of things in mind, like weather, traffic patterns, suburban areas, shopping conveniences, and proximity to our offices.. not to mention amenities in a home we were looking for. Its perfect here!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
We're originally from FL, but we moved away for 13 months and couldnt be happier to be back! We were from South Florida, but we've settled into the Ponte Vedra Beach area and just absolutely love it. It's gorgeous here and everything we wanted. We kept lots of things in mind, like weather, traffic patterns, suburban areas, shopping conveniences, and proximity to our offices.. not to mention amenities in a home we were looking for. Its perfect here!
Thanks for sharing your success story.

Welcome home!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:06 AM

25 posts, read 64,089 times
We grew up in West Palm. My husband got transferred to Charlotte and we've been here for 25 years. We recently successfully bid on a short sale and bought a house in Palm City which we'd never heard of when we lived there. We'll use the house for vacations until my husband retires.

I was just down there and it's wonderful. Not as much to do as farther south, but it's also not as fast or congested as Palm Beach & Broward. There is enough there to keep us occupied and if we want to get into the craziness of Palm Beach & Broward we can get there easily. Downtown Stuart is funky and upscale, like a tiny bit of Charleston. People are upbeat and friendly. I think we're going to be very happy there.

It's currently 37 degrees and raining in Charlotte...71 in Palm City. What's not to be happy about?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Thanks for sharing your success story.

Welcome home!
THAANK YOUUUU!!!! Almost brings tears to my eyes.. I absolutely love it here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasonnc View Post
We grew up in West Palm. My husband got transferred to Charlotte and we've been here for 25 years. We recently successfully bid on a short sale and bought a house in Palm City which we'd never heard of when we lived there. We'll use the house for vacations until my husband retires.

I was just down there and it's wonderful. Not as much to do as farther south, but it's also not as fast or congested as Palm Beach & Broward. There is enough there to keep us occupied and if we want to get into the craziness of Palm Beach & Broward we can get there easily. Downtown Stuart is funky and upscale, like a tiny bit of Charleston. People are upbeat and friendly. I think we're going to be very happy there.

It's currently 37 degrees and raining in Charlotte...71 in Palm City. What's not to be happy about?
Thats great!!! Exactly how we feel about south florida.. easy to get to, but not so close that you have to deal with the traffic and congestion.. congrats! (and yes! Whats not to like about no snow, or sleet or sludge or ice?!?!)

Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 PM

190 posts, read 493,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I thought it would be fantastic information for those of us who have dreams and hopes of moving to Florida someday to know how others became successful in moving to Florida.

If you have moved to Florida and it was a successful move please share your experiences and advise on how others can also become successful as you have been.

Information such as where you came from, year moved to Florida, where you are living in Florida, most important choices you made, research you did, things not to do, things to look for etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciate by many people.

Remember, this is about people who have moved to Florida and have been successful at making the move.

You have had to do a lot of things right to be successful so please share it with us.

Thank you!

Sunny Days
I left Florida when I was 12. I lived in TN for about 25 years, but I never forgot about my childhood in Florida. As an adult, I visited Florida whenever possible. I dreamed of returning permanently. After going through a divorce in 2003, Florida kept calling. I made trips to Miami--the place I grew up. It didn't feel right. I explored Tampa. It seemed less hectic than Miami. I saved up several thousands of dollars and obtained a job--but it was in Wildwood--not Tampa. The move was short-lived. I moved during the Fall of 2004--the year FL was hit by multiple hurricanes. Apartments seemed to be in short supply. I settled on an apartment, but I quickly learned it was uninhabitable because of a serious infestation of roaches. I found out the night I moved into the apartment. When the lights were turned off, they came from everywhere. It was like a horror movie. In addition to the apartment problem, I was not crazy about the job. I decided to move back to TN the next day. Well, fortuantely my old job was waiting for me. I felt demoralized about my effort. However, I had learned a few things, including the importance of career enhancement and how this would provide me with an additional layer of security if I decide to try another move. While recultivating a motivation to move, I acquired a few more years of work experience. Then, I realized that experience would not be enough. Ultimately, I went back to college for a graduate degree. While in school, I spent some of my free time day-dreaming of a better place and creating a wish list. I scoured books in the library with rankings and descriptions of various American cities. I considered San Diego, Houston, Austin, etc. I created a top 10 list. I was determined to get everything I wantd. Interestingly, the Tampa Bay area kept creeping into my top ten. I tried to push it back down the list, but I could not. My father insisted that I not move to Miami; he reminded me why our family moved. I reasoned that San Diego was too far from family and not practical for interviewing. The Tampa Bay area had everything I wanted, such as warm weather, affordability, less of a Hurrican threat, diversity, coastal charm and beauty, and job opportunities in my field. I was finally ready to make a move. I had some savings, but not much for an apartment. Neverthless, I pressed on. I booked hotels for two days at a time as I drove to various cities for interviews. Although I had other offers and several prospects, a job in Florida was almost perfect for my needs. I accepted the job. Back in TN, I decided that I would continue with the move and stay in a hotel weekly if needed. I booked a hotel for a few days. I experienced a breakthough after I decided to use an apartment hunter. The hunter provided a free service, which helped me locate a roomy and clean (roach-free) apartment with the no first months' rent. I have been here for 9 months. Looking back, I am happy with my choice. The delay made my success that much sweeter. Moving successfully to FL or anywhere else takes patience, vision, passion, preparation, determination, resourcefulness, a realistic outlook, and timing, luck, and divine intervention.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:38 PM

8 posts, read 22,197 times
Glad I found this thread on the site. I am glad to read about the positive results everyone has had. I need some information. I did buy a home in Port St. Lucie a couple of years ago with the intention of moving there. The economy went south as we all know. I love Fla. and want to move there. The good news is I will not have a mortgage. The bad news is I would need to find some type of mgmt. position within a restaurant. How is the market in that area for jobs. Does anyone have any info. it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 PM

8 posts, read 22,197 times
Default Thanks for the info.

Been contemplating a move to Fla. Just worried about the job market there. I run a restaurant. I have no problem taking a step back in position etc. I would not have a mortgage which would make life so much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida