Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times

Advertisements

Thank you Miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 PM

109 posts, read 439,915 times
Chelsa1075, Ken E and I have had this conversation and are on the same page. Let me clarify it from my personal standpoint. First a lot has to do with what area you move to. The second and most important is your finacial situation. The third thing and maybe the most important is the age factor.
To move to Florida to find your "Golden Oppurtunity" financially is pretty tough as there is a lot of competition. South Florida is the land of migration, with the exception of the retired people who can afford whatever life style they choose. To give you an idea of here today gone tomorrow, I wanted my windows tinted and picked up the phone directory, which was current and had to go through 3 dealers to find one that was still in operation. So many people move to Florida for the wrong reasons and can only see the sunny days and sandy beaches but if you want to survive in a business climate down here you have to really be on top of your game or you will be gobbled up by the cookie monster. If you come from a Midwest area, this will be a real eye opener for you. I loved Boca, Del Ray, but Vero Beach was home as it was right at the edge of the tropic line and the Indian River is fantastic. My problem was being able to adapt to the business climate of south Florida, I came from a look in my eyes and a handshake type climate, here a hand shake means little and everyone wears sun glasses. Bottom line, I missed being a big fish in a small pond, I was tired of the $6,000.00 a year golf memberships and having to shell out a $100.00 everytime I went golfing or took my boat out. I missed the respect level that I was afforded in my little world. I had 3 businesses(you would not know it from my spelling) was a local for close to 40 years and was a County Board Supervisor for three districts, I guess as it was a time period of Don Johnson and Miami Vice and Phil Collins singing the theme song that made me think I had out grown my pond and so headed off to Florida, it was a great trip and lasted 5 years but cost me everything I owned. I began to look past the sunny days and good times and started longing for the comfort of a rural area where I had some control over my life, smell the freshly fallen leaves in the Fall, watch the season's change, bite into a crisp apple in October, etc. I left and went back home because I came to Florida for the wrong reasons and came to early. I am like Ken E, I will probably die on my old homestead but will try to always make Florida a part of my life, even if only for short durations. If the time comes that I no longer feel this way or cannot take the cold weather, I will become a Florida resident as it will be my time. I have looked seriously at Chile, it is an amazing safe and beautiful country but I guess America is my home and when the time comes I will find an area in Florida that I can call home. Everything has a season, I will wait for mine.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:44 PM

Chelsa1075, Do not take the comment about only natives or transplant get your attention. The statement "maybe we could do lunch" sums up your mentality and position in life. Good for you!!! I am a great believer in Destiny and I can feel you are on the right track, have your head on straight and although I do not know your age I will guess under 30 but you come across very mature and will do well where ever you go. Good feelings and not that you need it but good luck. me

Old 02-03-2010, 08:00 PM

541 posts, read 1,994,997 times
Transplant Question...Who among you moved back
To the state you originally left? If you did,
Why did you leave?
Did you move back to Florida?
What made you move back to Florida?
Would you back to the other state again?

We are trying to move back to the MA/NH area. We like both areas (FL/MA) but made much more money up north. I would live in FL again part time or just vacation here.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Vineyards View Post
Chelsa1075, Do not take the comment about only natives or transplant get your attention. The statement "maybe we could do lunch" sums up your mentality and position in life. Good for you!!! I am a great believer in Destiny and I can feel you are on the right track, have your head on straight and although I do not know your age I will guess under 30 but you come across very mature and will do well where ever you go. Good feelings and not that you need it but good luck. me
thank you miles - this is very, very kind of you. I am actually in my mid 30's. I am looking to Florida because my family is ther and have been for 4 years. With that I hope that Florida will treat me well. I know all about a place that can eat you alive. I am used to being a medium sized fish in an ocean. I am adept to becoming a shark if thesituation calls for it. I thank you both for your advice and your kind words. Is Florida my destiny, that remains to be seen. That might ring true depending on the job prospects - I will believe florida is meant for me if my husband and I get a jobs that pay well.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:51 PM

Chelsa1075, I guess I ran ahead of myself a little. I have a bad habit at rambling. If your parents are there and they are comfortable with the area, that is important. I am 61 and my wife is 60 and we have taken care of both her father and had my mother transplant from Brandenton to our house in Wisconsin as she has a brain tumor and at age 88, I felt it was time to come home and live out her days here. She lived in our home for 12 weeks and then moved on. My wife's father was great until his late 80's and then we took care of him, although he was able to live on his own til the end. I was too caught up in myself to hear what you were really saying. If it is a point of your parents being settled in and you can work with this then you and your husband should try to work with in these limitations. I always said to my Mother, look at how many dirty diapers you changed for me, now let me help you. If it is apparent that you and your husband cannot fit in or financially survive in Ft. Lauerdale then I would suggest you as a family take some day trips to areas that you know you can make a living and look into some optioms for them to move with you. In their heart, they want to be with you, they even seceretly look to you for guidence but they cannot admit that. Try to make it a situation where they feel they are making the sacrfice to help you, it gives them the security they need and the independence they deserve. God Bless and I know it will work out, trust me, I know these things.me

Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Vineyards View Post
Chelsa1075, I guess I ran ahead of myself a little. I have a bad habit at rambling. If your parents are there and they are comfortable with the area, that is important. I am 61 and my wife is 60 and we have taken care of both her father and had my mother transplant from Brandenton to our house in Wisconsin as she has a brain tumor and at age 88, I felt it was time to come home and live out her days here. She lived in our home for 12 weeks and then moved on. My wife's father was great until his late 80's and then we took care of him, although he was able to live on his own til the end. I was too caught up in myself to hear what you were really saying. If it is a point of your parents being settled in and you can work with this then you and your husband should try to work with in these limitations. I always said to my Mother, look at how many dirty diapers you changed for me, now let me help you. If it is apparent that you and your husband cannot fit in or financially survive in Ft. Lauerdale then I would suggest you as a family take some day trips to areas that you know you can make a living and look into some optioms for them to move with you. In their heart, they want to be with you, they even seceretly look to you for guidence but they cannot admit that. Try to make it a situation where they feel they are making the sacrfice to help you, it gives them the security they need and the independence they deserve. God Bless and I know it will work out, trust me, I know these things.me
Thanks Miles - I haven't reached that point yet with my parents - they both are still working and healthy (THANKFULLY) - My mom who I am closest whith is the one who lives there and all of my husband's family lives there and none of them have any desire to move back to NY - money is important, but I don't think it is everything - it is a lot though. I am not an attorney or doctor looking to advance my career by owning my own business or what have you, however, I'm not a person who sits idle either. It remains to be seen what florida will bring me - wish me luck, hopefully she will be good to me - thanks again!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 AM

Chelsa1075, you do not have to respond as do not want to a pest. "Lady Luck" has ruined many a gambler's quest but I believe you do not need to much in the way of luck, a few breaks wouldn't hurt. It is funny, people always said "Gee how fortunate I was or how lucky" but the funny part is the harder I worked the "LUCKER" I got. Big suprise huh? I pretty sure you know this and as you have that much family in the area you will be fine. Have a good life.me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida