U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 06:35 PM

460 posts, read 2,252,626 times

Advertisements

O.k. we are moving to Florida on the 30th of June. We found a great house, which we have seen pics of and have the address of. We are getting ready to sign the lease, but I am wondering....How do we know that the owner of the house isnt just a *******, after our money??
We have emailed and talked by phone, the owner seems to be a very nice man, married with kids, lives in Orlando.
He would rather sell the house, I think he is hoping we will buy it after a year.

We wont be able to see the house in person till we move.
does anyone know what we should be asking, or what we should look for, to make sure that this isnt some type of scam?

Thanks,
Jen
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 06:48 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,781,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
O.k. we are moving to Florida on the 30th of June. We found a great house, which we have seen pics of and have the address of. We are getting ready to sign the lease, but I am wondering....How do we know that the owner of the house isnt just a *******, after our money??
We have emailed and talked by phone, the owner seems to be a very nice man, married with kids, lives in Orlando.
He would rather sell the house, I think he is hoping we will buy it after a year.

We wont be able to see the house in person till we move.
does anyone know what we should be asking, or what we should look for, to make sure that this isnt some type of scam?

Thanks,
Jen
What could the scam possably be?

Old 05-26-2007, 07:11 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,337,268 times
I would check the property records on the appraisers web site just to confirm that the owners name checks out. You can do a reverse search of his phone number (if it's listed) to confirm that it is the same person.

Other than that, I guess you are going on faith at this point. I can see your predicament. It seems like so many people are out there looking for a fresh new scam idea these days.
I would not want to hand over any money until I actually set foot into the house.

If it were me, I would fly down even if it is just for a day to see it and sign the lease in person. What if you don't like the area?

Best of luck to you.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:13 PM

9,368 posts, read 24,047,957 times
The scam could be- that the "owner" owns nothing and a deposit is placed on a virtual property. The scam could be that it is in a terrible neighborhood, misrepresented by the owner. The scam could be that the pix was from an old listing sheet and the property's condition is quite different now.

Where is it? Maybe a CD member in the area will check it out for you.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:21 PM

460 posts, read 2,252,626 times
Yes hereinfla, thats what we are afraid of. Everything seems just fine so far, but now that we are close to signing the lease....we just want to be sure.
I think what we will do is ask him if we can wait to give him any money until we are at the actual house when we arrive.
We have never rented a house in a different state before...

Thank you for your replies.

Jen

Old 05-26-2007, 07:31 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,337,268 times
Remember this to, he may very well be legit and feel the same nervousness that you do. He has a lot a stake here as well.

Can you not fly over for the day?

Old 05-26-2007, 07:33 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,984,532 times
Yes. I remember a scam in southwest Florida where they were taking deposits for rental homes from SEVERAL people for the same house. The local news got involved. This woman said she moved in and several other people showed up to move in, too.

I believe it was a rent-to-own situation. Those signs on the side of the road that said you could own your own home for $2,000 down.

Doesn't mean that is the situation with you. Just have to be careful. Lots of scam artists, but more so in Florida. I think a lot of the con-artists are moving out of the state, though. Less money to be had. We've seen them showing up in Tennessee, lately. They follow the money.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:44 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,879,744 times
What city are you moving to?

Old 05-26-2007, 08:03 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,781,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
The scam could be- that the "owner" owns nothing and a deposit is placed on a virtual property. The scam could be that it is in a terrible neighborhood, misrepresented by the owner. The scam could be that the pix was from an old listing sheet and the property's condition is quite different now.

Where is it? Maybe a CD member in the area will check it out for you.
Anything is possible but not if everything checks out and I would expect anyone renting a house to know who they are handing their money to. All this is very easy to do. I think the renter is having remorse and doesn't know what to do and is imagining everything that can possibly go wrong instead of just making sure they know what they are doing and moving forward with the deal.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:28 PM

279 posts, read 410,359 times
you could search the address on the county tax appraisers website and match that name to his licsence...just tell him you have heard of people renting houses they don't own and you need to verify that he is the owner...legit people should not mind...
I have heard of people a few days from eviction/foreclosure trying to rent their house out...people will do anything to get drug money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida