Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 AM

49 posts, read 107,696 times

Advertisements

I have $3000 to put down and need a place. House or mobilehome in Florida. No more than 50 miles inland. Coastal area preferred. Must be 100k or less. No parks.

I am moving to FL at the end of February and would rather buy than rent. I am looking for something owner financed. Anyone know of anything????

It is frustrating. I have spent countless hours searching for places. Most of them are lease/option where a tiny portion of your rent goes towards a purchase within a few years and then you need to get conventional financing. I do not want that. I am willing to do a balloon if necessary but prefer to owner finance the whole thing if possible.

I need a minumum of 2/1 but prefer 3/2 or larger. I know these places are out there. It is just hard to find them from where I am. basically it is usually who you know. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:55 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
I just did a quick search in my area-Sarasota and Charlotte counties-SW FL and came up with 32 mobiles that are at least 2/1's and $100K or less and not in a park. Sometimes you don't know if they'll do owner financing unless you ask but I did notice one that had these comments in the listing:

Lovely 2/2 mobile home on canal in Charlotte County. Owner may consider owner financing. Water access to Charlotte Harbor, so bring your boat.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,160 times
Unless your credit is not in the best shape it might be easier finding a seller that will pay your closing costs (even if you have to raise the offer to include them). With 3000 saved you would only need another 500 to get FHA financing on a 100k property. Normally you get a higher interest rate from seller financing anyway so it would save you in the long run
Your best bet is to get a qualified agent in your area like SOFLgal to help you. They can update you as soon as properties come out for your situation.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:19 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Owner financing is tough. Renting with a percentage going to the purchase price is sometimes possible. Sometimes you may get owner financing for a year or so, but generally an owner wanting to sell wants their money.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:54 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Owner financing is tough. Renting with a percentage going to the purchase price is sometimes possible. Sometimes you may get owner financing for a year or so, but generally an owner wanting to sell wants their money.
Lilybeans,

You are an absolute asset to this forum. Your philosophies may not always agree with mine (you do make some mistakes!), but your advice is always sage.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:11 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
I honestly don't think you'll find what you're looking for for that. The coastal areas of Florida aren't cheap. Even a mobile - a small one - is going to be in the 100k area you're looking at. Have you looked at insuring a mobile that's near the coast?? Have you looked at property taxes? They're astronomical! And if you're looking at owner finance, they usually want a pretty big hunk down in cash.

Maybe you've looked and things have changed and Florida has become affordable.............. but I don't think so.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I honestly don't think you'll find what you're looking for for that. The coastal areas of Florida aren't cheap. Even a mobile - a small one - is going to be in the 100k area you're looking at. Have you looked at insuring a mobile that's near the coast?? Have you looked at property taxes? They're astronomical! And if you're looking at owner finance, they usually want a pretty big hunk down in cash.

Maybe you've looked and things have changed and Florida has become affordable.............. but I don't think so.
I disagree. Maybe a few years ago but even Sarasota has many mobile homes with land that are quite affordable in the $30k's which is stunning considering the amenities you get in that community and limited supply of mobile home zoning in the city. Much more to choose from further south especially in Lee and Charlotte counties as well as in Brevard and Volusia on the east coast not too far from the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida