Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2007, 09:05 PM

975 posts, read 3,719,640 times

Advertisements

I've rented many apartments, but I've always done it in person in an area I was already living in. Would it be possible to rent an apt. in Florida (not sure where yet) if I get a job there from out of state or does one have to be there in person first? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 02:56 PM

134 posts, read 436,960 times
If would be worth it to actually see the apartment first. Are you in a position where you can drive or fly down? It's a good idea to inspect the apartment and neighborhood you will be living in. It may cost money to that, but my actually be worth it in the long run. Of course, I would do that if I were moving to any state, but in Florida, with its high transient and crooked population, I would defintely make sure it's a done deal before I move.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:19 PM

279 posts, read 467,589 times
i wouldn't rent based on internet info...many places look great from their (old) photos but when you get there it is dumpy or in a ghetto or next to a 24 hour walmart (truck noise)

see apartmentratings.com for resident reviews

also, i had several places in fla that would not rent to me until i showed them my social security card...never seen that before

Old 05-27-2007, 05:25 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,723,269 times
I wouldn't worry about renting an apartment from long distance. I've done it now 4 times and all turned out just fine. I just did some research online, find some places in your price range you are interested in and see if you can get some reviews. As people about the specific places on this message board. You can get a good idea of the area and the complex by asking around.

We've just lined them up before making the trip, got our new address, put in the change of address and moved. We arrived at the apartment, signed the lease and all has been well.

And... you don't have to have a job lined up first. A couple of times we didn't. Usually they will just make you put a larger deposit down first, like pay an extra month in advance or something like that. Some places won't, but I've always found very nice communities willing to work with people like that when they are making a long distance move.

Sign a short lease. That way if you don't like it you can look around in a 3 or 6 months for another place. No big deal. Also ask if you can break the lease. For example, one place would allow it to be broke for one month's additional rent. Another place (and we did this because we planned to buy a home) let us pay $300 up front so that we could break the lease at any time with a 30 day notice. And it was a very nice brand new complex.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:41 PM

460 posts, read 2,337,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I wouldn't worry about renting an apartment from long distance. I've done it now 4 times and all turned out just fine. I just did some research online, find some places in your price range you are interested in and see if you can get some reviews. As people about the specific places on this message board. You can get a good idea of the area and the complex by asking around.

We've just lined them up before making the trip, got our new address, put in the change of address and moved. We arrived at the apartment, signed the lease and all has been well.

And... you don't have to have a job lined up first. A couple of times we didn't. Usually they will just make you put a larger deposit down first, like pay an extra month in advance or something like that. Some places won't, but I've always found very nice communities willing to work with people like that when they are making a long distance move.

Sign a short lease. That way if you don't like it you can look around in a 3 or 6 months for another place. No big deal. Also ask if you can break the lease. For example, one place would allow it to be broke for one month's additional rent. Another place (and we did this because we planned to buy a home) let us pay $300 up front so that we could break the lease at any time with a 30 day notice. And it was a very nice brand new complex.
This is good news to hear since we have pretty much done the same thing except that it was with a house and not an apartment.

Jen

Old 05-27-2007, 06:10 PM

Default thanks...

Quote:
And... you don't have to have a job lined up first. .
Do you mean you moved and then found the job later? This is what I did when I came here to NYC in the late '90s. I had no job lined up, no apartment, and didn't know anyone here, only a few thousand dollars, and somehow it all fell into place with any horror stories...I guess I was just in the right place at the right time. Being older now I'm in a much better financial position to move to Fla. with no job lined up, but I'm also more cautious than I used to be so I'm not sure whether it's something I would do again...

Old 05-27-2007, 09:42 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,723,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
Do you mean you moved and then found the job later?
Yup, that's what I mean. We've made several moves like that. We jump right in. Line up the place to live, go there and then get jobs. Knock on wood, but it's never been a problem. It's really hard for people to always line up jobs before being in a city. I have worked with people that would not have even considered hiring someone that was not already in the state. Shoot, when I first moved to Las Vegas I found out they were very hostile toward hiring people that had just moved there. I was working through a temporary service until I could land a good job months later.

Going to a temporary service is another good thing you can do. If you move to a place with no employment get your licensed switched right away and signup at temporary services. Sometimes within days they can have you in a decent position making money. You can do that until you find a good position, or you may like it and get hired on by the company after your trial period is up.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:04 AM

good point, I have used these agencies numerous times...I will definitely begin my job search from remote a few months before the date of the potential move--if I sense zero interest from the employers I will take it as a sign that the move may not be a good idea. However if I get responses but nothing pans out immediately, as often happens, I may decide to make the move anyway.

Quote:
Yup, that's what I mean. We've made several moves like that. We jump right in. Line up the place to live, go there and then get jobs. Knock on wood, but it's never been a problem. It's really hard for people to always line up jobs before being in a city. I have worked with people that would not have even considered hiring someone that was not already in the state. Shoot, when I first moved to Las Vegas I found out they were very hostile toward hiring people that had just moved there. I was working through a temporary service until I could land a good job months later.

Going to a temporary service is another good thing you can do. If you move to a place with no employment get your licensed switched right away and signup at temporary services. Sometimes within days they can have you in a decent position making money. You can do that until you find a good position, or you may like it and get hired on by the company after your trial period is up.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:10 AM

11 posts, read 30,752 times
Thanks,

Any more advice. We are planning a move to Albuquerque from Honolulu. I dont have a job, but we are looking at a couple places to rent. It seems like a big risk. My wife is more worried than me, but we have no kids. Just Spirit, our dog. Thaks....

JD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida